Technical EGR delete

Currently reading:
Technical EGR delete

whoopsie

4x4 PandaVan
Not going to get drawn into the legal or moral implications of deleting your EGR ;)

However, there's an outfit in Poland called Tafmet, who make a range of EGR related goodies and sell via Ebay.

Specifically of interest to Panda owners, they make:
- EGR blanking plates
- EGR restrictor plates
- electronic EGR deletion kit

Their Ebay store is https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/tafmet

No relation to them apart from a happy customer, and they have a good reputation for quality with the Italian Panda 4x4 clubs.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Yes, that's exactly what I have on mine from Tafmet. Just plugs straight in, electronically keeps the EGR closed while pretending to the rest of the electronics that it's working normally.

Yes, but look at their listings, they do restrictor plates and deletion kits for the whole range of diesels from Fiat (and others).

Just to clarify, I bought a "simulator box" off above company for a 2005 1.3 Multijet.

I had the problem where it began to run really rough when cold.....only firing on 3 cylinders.

Turned out the egr valve was stuck closed.

Rather than change the EGR which is an absolute pig of a job, I decided to try one of these simulators. Worked spot on. Back to normal running, and emissions were even cleaner during last MOT's.

Just to clarify, I bought a "simulator box" off above company for a 2005 1.3 Multijet.

I had the problem where it began to run really rough when cold.....only firing on 3 cylinders.

Turned out the egr valve was stuck closed.

Rather than change the EGR which is an absolute pig of a job, I decided to try one of these simulators. Worked spot on. Back to normal running, and emissions were even cleaner during last MOT's.

Your comment on emissions is misleading. The EGR system reduces emissions of Nitrogen oxides (NOx). NOx emissions are NOT tested at the MOT. The operation of the EGR does increase CO and possibly HC emissions which are measured by the MOT so deleting th EGR will show an improvement in these. However the effect of the slight increse in CO & HC is tiny compared to the NOx emissions reduction by the EGR system.

It is irresponsible, immoral and illegal to delete the EGR or any other emissions control system on a road vehicle.

I'm in the opposite camp, I've just come from a 2.4 JTDm on which the EGR does more harm than good, after only 60k miles the inlet was so clogged with EGR soot, it wouldn't start from cold without a huge cloud of white smoke, and idled poorly. A cleaned out manifold with swirl flaps removed and EGR blanked and it was like a new car, went through its MOTs without a hitch.

All these emissions control devices are great on a new car, once its got some miles under its belt they cause all sorts of problems.

The only one I'd have a moral objection to removing is the DPF.

Last edited:
I fall into the category of people that don't agree with tampering with emissions equipment.

I'll probably get a lot of hatred for this, but I suspect that a lot of EGR and DPF issues come from people buying the wrong car for their needs. My best mate has never owned a petrol engined car, despite the fact that it would be the best car for his needs. He used to have a Corsa 1.3 MJ 95bhp, and that had EGR issues. He eventually replaced it with an Alfa Romeo Brera 2.4 JTDm, and sure enough, the EGR started playing up on that. I think what he's done is have the car remapped, to "electronically blank" the EGR. (For want of a better way of putting it!)

He thinks that the increase in NOx emissions is insignificant, and well worth the extra 40bhp, and removal of EGR worries... [emoji52]

I fall into the category of people that don't agree with tampering with emissions equipment.

I'll probably get a lot of hatred for this, but I suspect that a lot of EGR and DPF issues come from people buying the wrong car for their needs. My best mate has never owned a petrol engined car, despite the fact that it would be the best car for his needs. He used to have a Corsa 1.3 MJ 95bhp, and that had EGR issues. He eventually replaced it with an Alfa Romeo Brera 2.4 JTDm, and sure enough, the EGR started playing up on that. I think what he's done is have the car remapped, to "electronically blank" the EGR. (For want of a better way of putting it!)

He thinks that the increase in NOx emissions is insignificant, and well worth the extra 40bhp, and removal of EGR worries... [emoji52]

You're probably right, at least on the DPF front, a car needs regular decent distance trips to allow the DPF to regenerate, popping to the shops and town driving will cause this to clog.

Not so with the EGR, most modern cars, both petrol and diesel have an EGR valve, and these have been around since the 70's.

The fault lies, I think in the design and operation of these, some designs are more prone to failure than others.

Agree with it or not, your friend blanking off his Alfa's EGR is the best thing he can do for it's longevity. The accumulated soot will clog his manifold, eventually his swirlflaps will start leaving, and I suspect later his head will develop cracks from cylinder 5 outwards.

Last edited:
So is COPD and lung cancer, along with other health ailments that the actions of people like you selfishly and frankly needlessly exacerbate for others (n)

No, not people like me. People like you, that have just told someone to effectively commit a painful and pointless suicide over an opinion they shared on a forum.

No, not people like me. People like you, that have just told someone to effectively commit a painful and pointless suicide over an opinion they shared on a forum.

You need to give your head a good wobble and question why I perhaps advised you do such a thing! It wouldn’t be pointless as it’d potentially save others from a painful and pointless death! I’m not the one modifying my car in such a way that it’ll produce more emissions and in turn cause additional avoidable health issues for others.

You need to give your head a good wobble and question why I perhaps advised you do such a thing! It wouldn’t be pointless as it’d potentially save others from a painful and pointless death! I’m not the one modifying my car in such a way that it’ll produce more emissions and in turn cause additional avoidable health issues for others.

Time to wobble your own head. You didn't advise me, you advised another poster. I haven't made any modifications to my car. No matter how hard you try, there is no compariaon or justification of your comment to sit in a car and gas yourself.

Time to wobble your own head. You didn't advise me, you advised another poster. I haven't made any modifications to my car. No matter how hard you try, there is no compariaon or justification of your comment to sit in a car and gas yourself.

You, or the OP. Both appear to be in the same camp! :rolleyes:

Back