Technical Egr solenoid

Currently reading:
Technical Egr solenoid

shaun

Established member
Hi, I have a p0401 code on my Multijet and I cannot remove the 2 torx bolts joining the erg valve to the head as they are going to snap. I have removed the solenoid and the valve is free but I cannot get the solenoid to work on the bench. Would replacing the solenoid remove the code error? The car runs fine but code light is on and I want to sell the car
Thanks
Shaun

Hi, I have a p0401 code on my Multijet and I cannot remove the 2 torx bolts joining the erg valve to the head as they are going to snap. I have removed the solenoid and the valve is free but I cannot get the solenoid to work on the bench. Would replacing the solenoid remove the code error? The car runs fine but code light is on and I want to sell the car
Thanks
Shaun
I will look in the haynes manual and see if I can find any pointers. I would first try an impact wrench or even an impact screwdriver with a socket at I have found the shock administered is more effective than just brute turning strength. SOak in penetrating oil. I dont find this helps much unless you have weeks to allow repeated treatment, The other option is of course heat which nearly always works if you can apply it without damaging other bits. I would not expect removing the solenoid is going to stop the light these computer controlled things are too B clever for that. There is nothing useful in the book. It just says undo it. If you are really worried about these snapping you will need ta ask a garage to heat them and loosen the bolts for you. I realise its probaly got the battery out. Maybe a mobile fitter with an induction coil tool to heat could be an economical possibility?

I would first try an impact wrench or even an impact screwdriver with a socket at I have found the shock administered is more effective than just brute turning strength.
Correct. Also tapping the top of a bolt with a hammer while trying to turn sometimes breaks the bond
SOak in penetrating oil. I dont find this helps
Unless there is a gap to draw the oil in via capillary action it will doe absolutely nothing
The other option is of course heat which nearly always works if you can apply it without damaging other bits.
Correct
I would not expect removing the solenoid is going to stop the light these computer controlled things are too B clever for that. There is nothing useful in the book. It just says undo it.
It measures the flow so will cause an error if removed
If you are really worried about these snapping you will need ta ask a garage to heat them and loosen the bolts for you.
Heat is the way to go once the bond is broken penetrating oil will work and stop the threads from pulling out
I realise its probaly got the battery out. Maybe a mobile fitter with an induction coil tool to heat could be an economical possibility?
Should be possible for a cost

Arc weld on to the bolt head will usually heat shock it loose. You will need to fit the Torx/Hex bit into the socket before applying the welding rod/wire. It will probably ruin the torx bit but should shock the threads loose. Inductor coils are OK but the heating is relatively slow. Arc weld whacks it hard right where it matters.

Disconnect alternator earth traps and ECU connectors before arc welding. The circulating currents can do all sorts of nasties to electronics.

Thanks guys, I was going to buy a new egr and just replace the faulty solenoid. I've had another go but you can barely get on the bolts so hitting the them is out of the question. There is to much plastic and rubber around to put heat on it, I am going to try and borrow a induction heater

This is what I use in those situations

Probably be easier to remove after the engine is warmed up

BDD15341-5D5B-4F7C-806D-6AAAC0AACD2C.jpeg

Back