Technical Don’t get air- conned ! Ducato 2019

Currently reading:
Technical Don’t get air- conned ! Ducato 2019

Bengbong

Had my motorhome in to Fiat dealership to check cab Air con, I had carried out some checks myself and although there was power at plug to compressor the clutch would not engage. Having looked at lots of you tube videos I knew it was possible to renew the clutch coil. So when I was told it was going to be £2000 to repair by Fiat as they do not replace the clutch or coil only the whole compressor I was a bit shocked.
I bought a used compressor for £75 from eBay after matching the part numbers and although I had to “ manufacture“ a puller to remove the clutch it stripped down very easily, basically 1x 10 mm bolt and 2 circlips. I then carried out the same procedure on the van without removing the compressor so no need to clean / flush/ recharge the refrigerant system and rebuilt with the clutch coil from other compressor. Had to remove front O/s wheel, lower engine cover and wheel arch splash guard to improve access and stretch drive belt but other than that it was a very simple job. Cost me about £90 ( bought a stretch belt removal tool as well as the 2nd hand compressor) but I think this is the clutch coil for £25 (see pic) All working fine again certainly better than £2000 and now have a spare compressor so please be aware if this happens to you

I had a very similar situation with my VW Golf a few months back when a part of the Pulley broke meaning the power from the pulley could no longer be transferred to the compressors input shaft. A new compressor was nearly £1000 but like you I bought a second hand compressor and scavenged the parts I needed.

The thing is that Fiat (like VW) do not make an official replacement part for this hence the high cost of repair.

If you had gone to a 3rd party garage they may have been able to do a repair but may equally have quoted you for a whole new compressor. ?Yes you an buy some after market parts but its hit or miss if they are in stock sometimes. So unless you are willing and able to do it yourself, paying that high bill may be your only option.

AndyRKett- totally agree but think it is good to let folk know there me be an alternative to extortionate prices and the fact that the compressor is perfectly usable let alone the refrigerant waste etc. in these times of environmental concerns and sustainability I think major automobile manufactures should be more accountable for making sure all components are fully utilised through there potential lifespan. I will purchase the part I refer to and see if it fits the now spare compressor I have and hopefully that can be utilised In another vehicle👍 many thanks for the input

They are all at it, I have a Volvo and during the service at the main stealer they said the compressor has a leak and to supply and fit a new one....£2,600.:oops::oops:
I had a look, it has a very small oil leak, it still works well. Looking online a new compressor is around £500. Fitting doesn't look particularly difficult, accessibility isn't terrible, so it appears to me like they like to take a decent chunk!

Back