General Dent in boot

Currently reading:
General Dent in boot

Derbyfella

Established member
Got a dent in the boot hatch….relatively wide but not particularity deep. Is this going to be a pull or a push? I know there will likely be a bit of a crease where I think the hammers handle pushed in….but I just want the main part of the dent out to start with.
And advice please?

C2D4CD35-34D4-4985-A89F-44DB1E9F84A4.jpeg
C2D4CD35-34D4-4985-A89F-44DB1E9F84A4.jpeg
D35D50FC-67D0-45F3-A636-F6AE1C1F83B6.jpeg

I use a sucker tool that looks a bit like a drain plunger, it generally pulls the worst of it out providing not creased.
I agree, wouldn’t want to push that out as it looks like it’s upto the ‘return’ where glass meets body…
one of those dent-master companies maybe a better option

how big, the ones i've seen are pretty small - is the suction strong?
As @porta says if you want a good job then one of the dent companies, as these tools don't work miracles.
They are roughly 6 inches in diameter, the one on the right is made by Sealey Tools. If you wet the surface it increases the suction quite well, so strong enough to pull some dents back , but don't expect an invisible repair.;)

Attachments

• DSCF0744.JPG
    DSCF0744.JPG
    466.8 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Sadly I don't think this is going to just push or pull out. The metal has been stretched and the seam has also been deformed. A competent panel beater could fix this invisibly, but it's going to need filler and paint in addition to technique.

Given that any meaningfully acceptable repair is going to require the hatch to be resprayed, I'd look instead for a replacement hatch - a quick search shows there are quite a few for sale from the usual breakers channels complete with glass for around the £60 mark, and you could just get lucky and find one in the correct colour.

If this is an old car that you just want to get another year or two out of before scrapping it, then I'd try taking off the interior hatch trim and pushing from the inside, but don't expect miracles.

@typecastboy - how would you deal with this on a car you'd bought to sell on?

Last edited:
When i got this car...there was one on ebay...it disappeared.... :mad:
Fortunately ive just found one in colour so now purchased.... Which should mean i have one to play with...

which will also mean (if the colour does match) that it was cheaper than a replacement windscreen

thanks 'guys'!

Agree with above, secondhand tailgate quick to change over and get painted.
I would not start on this unless you know what you are doing asits creased across various lines. It has the look of somehting an expert might be able to achive pretty good results with a paintles dent removal. I did see a tip on the net where a handful of large glue sticks were melter with a flame an pushed into a dent and used to pull out a similar dent. With a bit of thought you could probably do something with this idea for a very cheap fix. It was utube or pinterest

Back