Technical Fiat 500 (2011) Boot lock failure to open

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat 500 (2011) Boot lock failure to open

JerryRJ

The boot lock on my 500 will no longer open using the key fob. I read and followed various older threads and tried a number of things including: removing and cleaning the lock, removing and cleaning the boot opening switch; checking the wiring loom (which looks undamaged); pressing the boot open button twice only; locking the car when inside and trying to open; and looking for the setting "independent boot off" (unfortunately I don't have this in settings). The other locks work fine from the fob. The only way I can open the lock is manually from inside the car. Any other ideas please?

The micro switch that operates the boot lock may have failed !might be worth getting a used one of e-bay and trying that? unfortunately i think they only come as the complete handle! they range from £50 to £100 used on e- bay!

The micro switch isn't the problem in the silver handle section, it's the pin the plastic handle moves on, rusts up and the return spring isn't strong enough it's just possible it(switch) is in the make closed contact position all the time? Remove the trim take apart(can be hard to separate) clean it all up/free it up. Our 09 car is happily working after a good clean several years ago, the handle should move at least 1/4" not only a fraction
My money is on the hatch wiring

The micro switch isn't the problem in the silver handle section, it's the pin the plastic handle moves on, rusts up and the return spring isn't strong enough it's just possible it(switch) is in the make closed contact position all the time? Remove the trim take apart(can be hard to separate) clean it all up/free it up. Our 09 car is happily working after a good clean several years ago, the handle should move at least 1/4" not only a fraction
My money is on the hatch wiring
Hi John - I took this apart and completely cleaned it. The handle, spring and contact were not moving much initially but after a good clean and oiling they all move more freely but I can't open the lock from the outside and the remote still doesn't work either. My money is on the microswitch sadly.

The micro switch that operates the boot lock may have failed !might be worth getting a used one of e-bay and trying that? unfortunately i think they only come as the complete handle! they range from £50 to £100 used on e- bay!
Thanks Steve - I do think it might be this so will look into spares.

It won't hurt, properly investigate the tailgate wiring flexible, pull out at each end, roll back on itself, can be hard remove the cloth covering, do this at both ends?
What age is the car typically fails at 7 years or so
Hi John I will have a look tomorrow. I am borrowing a friend's Fiat to substitute the boot switch to see if that is the problem. Cheers

You can check the switch on the boot lid, there's only 3 wires, earth, live feed to number plate lights and the switch signal to the bcm to operate the solenoid, momentary to earth so using a meter you can test the switch, should be normally open closed to earth when operated, when testing remove the bulbs

You can check the switch on the boot lid, there's only 3 wires, earth, live feed to number plate lights and the switch signal to the bcm to operate the solenoid, momentary to earth so using a meter you can test the switch, should be normally open closed to earth when operated, when testing remove the bulbs
Noted thanks Jon however I don't have the equipment to do that. I will ask a friend tomorrow.

Dear All I have today done a wiring check and thankfully the loom seems absolutely fine. With further investigation the fault is undoubtedly the switch on the boot lid - which will not move or click etc. See attached pictures. Before I buy a replacement could I ask if you know whether I can buy a separate switch on its own or whether I have to buy the whole chrome boot catch et al or not??

Attachments

• 20240417_110058.jpeg
    20240417_110058.jpeg
    1,016.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 20240417_110027.jpeg
    20240417_110027.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 8
Nothing to loose if you're sure, grip the white plunger in pliers and jiggle ? Assuming the handle is free to move but not the switch?
With the switch unit disconnected will the boot open by the remote? If not you have an additional issue?
At the end of the day it's a simple make switch any small one could be used?

Good work. If it's a simple push to make switch can you short the wire to make the catch operate? Lot of dirt in there... Mine failed and the whole handle was replaced but fortunately that was under warranty. Still surprised the fob button doesn't work though. 🙃

Last edited:
Still surprised the fob button doesn't work though.
That's got me puzzled too.

I'd want to at least see the hatch unlocking by bridging the wires before spending a lot of money on parts.

I remember writing about what has to be there for the hatch to unlatch many years ago; I'll see if I can find it.

Edit: Here it is.

Last edited:
That's got me puzzled too.

I'd want to at least see the hatch unlocking by bridging the wires before spending a lot of money on parts.

I remember writing about what has to be there for the hatch to unlatch many years ago; I'll see if I can find it.

Edit: Here it is.
Thanks for your comment and I read the link with interest. It raises the point that the boot lock base plate might be out of alignment. More thinking to do. Thanks again

I had a very similar problem on my punto evo. I took apart the boot lock and discovered the motor was completely seized. After spraying some wd40 inside and turning it manually. It started working again. 2 months later its still going strong

Back