Technical Boot Release Misbehaving (two faults??)

Currently reading:
Technical Boot Release Misbehaving (two faults??)

OdgeUK

My daughter’s 2009 Fiat 500 started displaying the common fault of the boot release popping open randomly, while driving. At one point it seemed to happen often, as soon as she turned her lights on, or if it had been wet recently. Or if the moon was currently a Waxing Gibbous and it was a Thursday.

I didn’t do anything about that issue, planning to get round to inspecting the wiring in the rubber gaitor, that links the hatch to the rest of the car. But a new issue developed, where the boot catch won’t release at all. What is odd is that you can hear the motor clicking to release it, but it’s not enough to uncatch it.

I’ve now managed to open the boot via the plastic manual bit, with a pair of large pliers (wouldn’t want to do that too many times, as the plastic is brittle and it really does need some brute force in squeezing it). Initially the problem remained when I closed it again, but after slamming it shut again a few times, it seems ok. Not sure for how long…

Anyone had these two issues? Surely the original issue of the boot unlocking itself can’t be shorted wiring, if I can hear the mechanism trying to release?

Video attached

Attachments

• IMG_1172.mov
    27.6 MB
probably needs a new mechanism! does not seem to be moving in far enough to release! when it got stuck manually opening it might have broken something inside thats moving about sometimes working others not! probably best to source a used one of e-bay or the like and swap it out!.

New latch needed

You should be able to dress the manual release by hand it definitely shouldn't need any tools to do so

But definitely need to check the wiring as well

Last edited:
DO NOT leave fixing the boot wiring, you risk further issues ABS, speedo cluster, central locking issues have been reported, that can become quite expensive to fix, a repair kit is available or if you're good with a soldering iron its quite possible to fix yourself?

If not replaced, the car will need a new engine earth strap( yours could easily be dust )
Please ask for any help with the well known issues that the car has

If you think Chris is correct and you need a new latch....i have one for sale on Ebay...im more than happy not to sell through ebay.

Thought I’d follow up on this. This was in fact two separate issue.

First one was the latch simply not mechanically releasing when remote switched. It would click, but the spring just didn’t do the business. After trying to unscrew the latch from the inside to release it, I was eventually able to brute force that little plastic release tab which seemed to be stuck in position, and pop the boot. After a few boot slams and popping the tab again, it just seemed to start working again, so it’s all done up again and sorted…. For now.

Second issue was the boot opening by itself. This wasn’t consistent at first but then seemed to happen every time you turned the headlights on. This was, indeed, damaged wires in the loom, in the flexible plastic that carries the loom from car to boot. Luckily, only two wires were in a bad state and it was just some broken insulation causing a short between them. For now, this is sorted with some carefully applied electrical tape. Maybe one day I’ll do a proper cut, extend, solder repair, but it will have to get a lot worse for me to go down that road.

Thanks for all the replies.

Thought I’d follow up on this. This was in fact two separate issue.

First one was the latch simply not mechanically releasing when remote switched. It would click, but the spring just didn’t do the business. After trying to unscrew the latch from the inside to release it, I was eventually able to brute force that little plastic release tab which seemed to be stuck in position, and pop the boot. After a few boot slams and popping the tab again, it just seemed to start working again, so it’s all done up again and sorted…. For now.

Second issue was the boot opening by itself. This wasn’t consistent at first but then seemed to happen every time you turned the headlights on. This was, indeed, damaged wires in the loom, in the flexible plastic that carries the loom from car to boot. Luckily, only two wires were in a bad state and it was just some broken insulation causing a short between them. For now, this is sorted with some carefully applied electrical tape. Maybe one day I’ll do a proper cut, extend, solder repair, but it will have to get a lot worse for me to go down that road.

Thanks for all the replies.
The clocks ticking! just dont wait till the alarm goes off! :ROFLMAO: :eek:

I've come to think that not properly sorting this can lead to all sorts of other issues, abs, dash cluster etc
I'd agree; IMO this is the biggest weakness of the 500.

Just opening the hatchback can cause thousands of pounds worth of damage.

If you have any reason to suspect the wiring may be compromised, don't open the hatch until you've disconnected the battery negative lead. Then use the emergency release from inside the rear of the car to unlatch it. The worst thing you can do is to peel back the grommet to inspect the wiring when the loom is still powered.

Last edited:
Back