Technical Clutch Thrust Bearing

Currently reading:
Technical Clutch Thrust Bearing

mikegml

Last week my 2014 panda twin air clutch slave cylinder started screeching and squealing. Gears were hard to select, clutch pedal didn’t seem to want to come up. Had a job to make it home. At least I thought it was the slave cylinder after doing my research including on here.

So, I changed it this morning, not too hard a job. Now it drives as normal, changes gear ok, no clutch slip evident, clutch feels pretty normal as far as I can tell, but……. It still screeches like f***. It’s silent when the clutch is fully up and on the move. But stationary it can either be almost silent, or screechy. Depressing the clutch up and down is always screechy.

I’m a bit baffled now

(Note: I posted this in the wrong forum (mk 3, link below) under a different title when it seemed like a slave cyclinder problem but now seems more like a release bearing problem. My latest reply on that thread is below.

Quote Reply

Last edited:
The present position is:

1. The sqealing is very quiet when stationary on tickover and in neutral, almost not there, but it can be louder and quite noticable sometimes. It goes away or goes quieter if you increase the revs while still in neutral.

2. It starts squealing quite loud immediately the clutch is depressed and is a bit louder fully depressed. It's the same if it's in gear or out.

3. The gear lever feels loose and sloppy when moving between the gears with clutch depressed and stationary.

4. It drives normally on the road (at least it did yesterday, I've not driven it today) it changes gear ok, sqealing only when depressing the clutch or if stationary. When in gear and moving you hear nothing.

Quote Reply
Report Edit Delete

Sounds like clutch release bearing. Thats a new clutch job as its uneconomic to do one and not the other. If you have a new clutch insist also on a new clutch release fork as these also can fail and are only a few extra pounds.
changes gear fine so input shaft stops fine
noise present while the input shaft is stopped

High probability it the throw out (realise) bearing. Most of the cost will be in labour. The last Panda clutch kit I fitted was just over £40

Does this model have a dual mass, is it recommended to change at the same time.

does the release fork actually fail. I have not fitted one in the last 3 clutches. I strip them down before ordering parts. Input shaft bearings and seals have been worn.

changes gear fine so input shaft stops fine
noise present while the input shaft is stopped

High probability it the throw out (realise) bearing. Most of the cost will be in labour. The last Panda clutch kit I fitted was just over £40

Does this model have a dual mass, is it recommended to change at the same time.

does the release fork actually fail. I have not fitted one in the last 3 clutches. I strip them down before ordering parts. Input shaft bearings and seals have been worn.
Thanks again for the info' I'll try to check if it has a DMF. It's a 2014 Trekking model twin air.

Update. Had a new clutch and thrust bearing fitted today. She's fine now. it was the thrust bearing as suspected. Local independent guy did it. He's done a few of them. Reckons the bearing is too light for it's job.

Back