Technical Twinair broken clutch pedle "Overstroking" leading to clutch fail?

Currently reading:
Technical Twinair broken clutch pedle "Overstroking" leading to clutch fail?

Hi all,

Been doing my research on my next FIAT as the Twinair has been a bit of a disaster.

My mission is not to buy another car with Duel Mass Flywheel or cambelt and having looked at many setups I came across a concentric Slave Cylinder which feels like another thing to avoid... anyway I've done a bit of research into what can fail with them and hit on this...

Overstroking; This occurs if the system is rapidly bled or the pedal stop is missing. This can cause the bearing to exceed its normal operating stroke and contact the retaining ring on the end of the guide tube...

Now this Panda don't have a concentric Slave Cylinder, but surely a missing clutch peddle stop could cause overstroking in any clutch system, hydraulic or even cable? So having a think back to my clutch peddle I recall the stop start not working because some poorly welded section had fallen off and was rattling around behind the peddle

IMG_20230507_120735965.jpg
IMG_20230507_120732977.jpg
IMG_20230507_120722055.jpg

Looking around there seems to have been a FIAT recall on some 500s where there was no clutch peddle stop, and any cars found without the stop got a new clutch peddle & new clutch. outlined here https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2016/RCRIT-16V302-2556.pdf

See page 4 for missing travel limiter on Left hand drive & Page 38 for a picture of the distorted clutch fingers.

OK so it is a little different - Left hand drive FIATs of older generation (MK2 Uno) used to have cable clutch for Left hand drive & hydraulic clutch for right hand drive so the current setup could still exist where LHD peddle box is vastly different to RHD (no bar coming across bulkhead inside car).

But to me, that recall & damaged clutch was also due to overstroking, even if it's not called out the check is if the peddle stop is missing.

So when your Panda clutch peddle fails, maybe the system opens up to overstroking - primary symptom for me is that Stop Start becomes not available after a bit of driving & error code is P0704-23 clutch switch president.

If you find the above lump floating around instead of being attached to the clutch peddle, I'd suggest getting it welded back on or adding some other peddle travel limiter to save yourself from a clutch job & maybe even a new DMF if fitted (like my Panda is having tomorrow).

Will ask for the removed parts so I can inspect and let you know if I have any finger damage on the clutch cover diaphragm.

Sound familure to any other 2012+ Panda drivers? Maybe not limmited to the twinair panda.

And now... for the world premier of my Panda's suspected clutch release bearing.

...Warning this video contains grinding noises when attempting to engage reverse gear with a faiing clutch which some viewers may find disturbing.

Back