Technical clearing windscreen

Currently reading:
Technical clearing windscreen

dkwecoactive

The incessant rain of late has highlighted an issue. I really struggle to clear the windscreen. There IS air coming up through the vents. I can feel it. I have it on cold bringing in outside air but nothing seems to clear it, to the point of it being dangerous. I have searched the forums for similar issues but I'm a bit lost. Any pointers for an absolute novice?

Condensation can play a big part in this problem also. I had this effect a few weeks ago when the screen was froze and the sun came out which melted the ice off the outside but resulted in what I would term as a mist in the inside, which the heater on screen would not clear.

I've just driven it again after it was outside for a couple of hours. Its not raining. It actually looks like the blower is blowing wet air onto the screen. The screen appears to get wetter as I drive. I think I'm going to have ring the mechanic as it's flipping dangerous.

Hot air to dentist screen
Agree totally. Cold air holds no moisture. Auto demist sets temp and fan to max where provided. You must use hot air. Switch air con on and leave it on all, the time unless temperature is lower than freezing when it will do nothing. Then switch it off then for reasons of economy. Make sure Air recirculation is OFF.

Get an anti mist cloth / spray and treat the inside of the screen.

Last edited:
Duck bills need checkng (scuttle drains)

ASAP if there blocked, common, it causes further problems down the line

Can't find a decent video, just done mine literally a 5 minuites no need to Unscrew anything

The fresh air vent is under the drivers window (RHD) , in the scuttle area

If the drains (duck bills) are blocked water will enter the heater system blower system

Last edited:
Duck bills need checkng (scuttle drains)

ASAP if there blocked, common, it causes further problems down the line

Can't find a decent video, just done mine literally a 5 minuites no need to Unscrew anything

The fresh air vent is under the drivers window (RHD) , in the scuttle area

If the drains (duck bills) are blocked water will enter the heater system blower system

Thanks so much for this. I've tackled it this morning. Sadly they were dry as a bone. Or maybe not so sadly? Maybe they did have water in and I blew it all out last night? I've also cleaned the window (thanks to those who suggested this.)

Lastly check all the carpets are dry. Nothing steams up winndows like wet carpets due to any other leaks. Even lots of wet feet. Air co is aboon as it helps keep things dry
...including the wheel well in the boot - have seen 1/2inch of water in there before now, not noticed by driver until he had a puncture. That'll make it steam up.
Plenty of posts in here about finding and fixing leaks if you need them.

If there's a chemical smell inside the car, it could be a failed heater matrix, although I've never had to change one myself yet, so probably not a common failing.

Back