Technical Boot leak

Currently reading:
Technical Boot leak

russ44

Hello

My 2014 4x4 is leaking water. The boot well fills up and the rear seat gets wringing wet.

Looking on here, a post mentioned the rear light assembly can leak.

I poured water over the rear hatch and rear light with the boot lid shut and can see water coming out the location highlighted in the pic. I’m guessing this is from the light cluster. I can see water drops inside the box section that I’ve indicated with the arrow.

How do I remove the rear light cluster? I’ve removed the 2 screws visible with the hatch open and presume there is a third under the plastic interior trim? I can’t get the plastic trim out to check.

Has anyone else had a leak in this area?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 9495BB78-0EF2-40F8-BDA5-E133B287A82E.jpeg
    9495BB78-0EF2-40F8-BDA5-E133B287A82E.jpeg
    887.5 KB · Views: 344
  • 37BF553D-CB89-4F87-8DBA-5756A9C78D3A.jpeg
    37BF553D-CB89-4F87-8DBA-5756A9C78D3A.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 123
  • B61C3310-11E6-4D85-B14C-9FC47D29B658.jpeg
    B61C3310-11E6-4D85-B14C-9FC47D29B658.jpeg
    798.6 KB · Views: 120
Hello

My 2014 4x4 is leaking water. The boot well fills up and the rear seat gets wringing wet.

I poured water over the rear hatch and rear light with the boot lid shut and can see water coming out the location highlighted in the pic. I’m guessing this is from the light cluster. I can see water drops inside the box section that I’ve indicated with the arrow.

How do I remove the rear light cluster? I’ve removed the 2 screws visible with the hatch open and presume there is a third under the plastic interior trim? I can’t get the plastic trim out to check.

Eh up

This should elp 🤞🤔

HTH

Hello

I don't know about the rear light cluster leaking but if you have removed the two screws with the hatch open you then slide the whole assembly backwards - use two hands. It slides on and off a spigot arrangement; I'm impressed that you have not had to replace a brake light bulb before!

Cheers guys

I've just got the light off and there's a small hole in the factory mastic seam sealant. Water passed right through it. I've filled it in with sealant and will test it tomorrow.

Fingers crossed!

I think it's fixed now, thanks guys.
I
I'm in the process of drying everything out now. One thing I can't see online is underneath the carpet in the rear passenger footwell, there is a sound deadening pad. Looks like it's made from compressed fibres with a polystyrene insert in. Mine has been soaked and looks in a poor state.

Can this part be bought, or does it only come with a full carpet? Does anyone have a part catalogue or know the what this part is called?

Thanks again.

I think its integral with the carpet. If its really rotten I would pull it off and make a new one with some new underfelt material and polystyrene cot from packing material. Fiddly but worth the effort. The build issues with improper sealing are pretty absurd. Probably a way of making the cars rust from the inside out. Rolled up underfelt can be effectively used in place of polystyrene two. Build up the shape you need by cutting piecesa dn gluing laters together to amke the form you need.

You may be able to get hold of a decent carpet from a breakers too which might be economic. Plenty of newish pandas written off and I dont suppose carpets are a big seller. If you can visit the breakers and offer cash you ight get a bargain.

Very unlikely to be designed to be rot the cars

Sealant issue are common on many cars some area's will not doubt be hand applied and other will require a human touch up after the machine has applied them

Ours had a hole in the panels c10mm squared. Panels not properly sealed. Poor build... Exactly same result. Withe the light removed it was easily seen and fixedn with high grade mastic. That was 4 years ago and its been dry since
I have this problem - could you please describe where in the panels?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

I think it's fixed now, thanks guys.
I
I'm in the process of drying everything out now. One thing I can't see online is underneath the carpet in the rear passenger footwell, there is a sound deadening pad. Looks like it's made from compressed fibres with a polystyrene insert in. Mine has been soaked and looks in a poor state.

Can this part be bought, or does it only come with a full carpet? Does anyone have a part catalogue or know the what this part is called?

Thanks again.
Did it fix it?

I have this problem - could you please describe where behind the lamb?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Looks like you've resurrected an old thread and might be better off starting a new one....but I've just spent a few days trying to sort out a leak in the boot (Panda 2013 69hp) so will pass on what I did. I searched 'water in the boot' using the search function, took off the plastic trim at the entrance of the boot, lifted the carpet away and tried to figure it out over a few days.
Mine turned out to be water getting behind the tailgate seal and then coming into the boot via a channel formed by a seam (this has been described in a previous thread on here)...I took the rubber seal off, cleaned and dried it, put it back on with loads of petroleum jelly to soften it and tapped it down. Fingers crossed it seems to have worked.
Having studied a few threads the water could be coming in a few places ...rear lights (took mine off but no obvious holes), quarter light windows, high level brake light, radio aerial, slam vents under the rear bumper and so on. Probably also depends if the car is on the level when parked . If you search through the previous threads you should be okay... probably easiest to start with the most straightforward things first? Best of luck 😊

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240226-170343.png
    Screenshot_20240226-170343.png
    388.9 KB · Views: 14
Looks like you've resurrected an old thread and might be better off starting a new one....but I've just spent a few days trying to sort out a leak in the boot (Panda 2013 69hp) so will pass on what I did. I searched 'water in the boot' using the search function, took off the plastic trim at the entrance of the boot, lifted the carpet away and tried to figure it out over a few days.
Mine turned out to be water getting behind the tailgate seal and then coming into the boot via a channel formed by a seam (this has been described in a previous thread on here)...I took the rubber seal off, cleaned and dried it, put it back on with loads of petroleum jelly to soften it and tapped it down. Fingers crossed it seems to have worked.
Having studied a few threads the water could be coming in a few places ...rear lights (took mine off but no obvious holes), quarter light windows, high level brake light, radio aerial, slam vents under the rear bumper and so on. Probably also depends if the car is on the level when parked . If you search through the previous threads you should be okay... probably easiest to start with the most straightforward things first? Best of luck 😊
I think I am going to test the rear light suggestion first - I will let you know what I find out.

When removing teh seals on a new panda its clear that certain areas of the body have a sealant applied before the rubber is fitted. It resembles ordinary window putty. Andy JW0114 makes a good point and I think the sealant I saw when fitting the towbar to out Panda is to ensure that very issue was prevented when new. Over time the sealant would dry out and maybe the cause. In the top gutter you can see any sealant used. This is painted when new but again over time it can release and alloow leaks.

I think I am going to test the rear light suggestion first - I will let you know what I find out.
Our 2014 was well wet.. Garage said it was fine. On removing the rear light a 9mm square hole was evident at its base just behind the light seal, where the panels were never properly sealed. I cleaned it and sealed it with Unibond 30 year mastic. Its never leaked since. Ive seen a bootmat on the net recently but £75.

I've attached a photo showing the hole behind the right rear light. I removed the plug from the hole so you can get a clear view. I'm unsure if this is where the water is getting in, but I've applied some sealant around the plug. I'll keep you updated on whether it proves effective.

IMG_3806.jpg

I've attached a photo showing the hole behind the right rear light. I removed the plug from the hole so you can get a clear view. I'm unsure if this is where the water is getting in, but I've applied some sealant around the plug. I'll keep you updated on whether it proves effective.

View attachment 439379
Yes, that hole would definitely cause water to go into the panel then to the boot. My leak (another thread about water in the boot) was caused by the tinyest split in the seam sealant, only just visible but caused the spare wheel well to flood into and under the rear seat.

View attachment 439379
That looks like someone’s deliberately drilled a small hole (ie not done at the factory). I wonder if they hoped it would stop water sitting behind the lights and somehow assumed it would drain to the wheelarch? I’m sure mi e doesn’t have a plug or hole in that location.

That looks like someone’s deliberately drilled a small hole (ie not done at the factory). I wonder if they hoped it would stop water sitting behind the lights and somehow assumed it would drain to the wheelarch? I’m sure mi e doesn’t have a plug or hole in that location.
I have had the car since new - so I'm sure it's factory. It still has not rained, so I don't know if this is the trouble spot, but I will let you know. Might end up getting out a hose and test it.

Yes, that hole would definitely cause water to go into the panel then to the boot. My leak (another thread about water in the boot) was caused by the tinyest split in the seam sealant, only just visible but caused the spare wheel well to flood into and under the rear seat.
I will let you know once it rains :)

Back