Technical Boot Open Warning

Currently reading:
Technical Boot Open Warning

One very last thought - and in a way I hope its not this... The wires to the latch, wiper, heated screen and number plate lights all pass through the flexible rubber tubes near the hinges of the boot. If the wire in there to the switch has broken (by being flexed/twisted when opening the boot in the cold), that may cause an issue too
Whilst this is a very common issue on the 500, I've not heard of it affecting Pandas.

Just because I can... here's the wiring diagram for the boot latch. The red box (drawn by the software, not me) is the latch unit and shows there are four wires connected to it. The Violet wire operates the motor that opens the boot, the white & yellow one connects to the boot light and the white & grey one to the switch which confirms the boot is fully closed. Black is the earth. The unit marked E34 is the body computer – the gubbins that operates just about every part of the car (and is the unit the interior fuse are mounted in at the back of the glovebox). O4 is a connector 'somewhere in the car', O105 is the boot light unit itself. O166 is the number plate lights but I think is also showing the microswitch that opens the boot.

The point about all this is it suggested there's only one switch inside the latch, but that it needs to fully move to both ends of its travel to keep things happy.

View attachment 416255
Awesome. That’s really helpful. Will
Let you know how I get on.

@LyndonEdwards Just because I can... here's the wiring diagram for the boot latch. The red box (drawn by the software, not me) is the latch unit and shows there are four wires connected to it. The Violet wire operates the motor that opens the boot, the white & yellow one connects to the boot light and the white & grey one to the switch which confirms the boot is fully closed. Black is the earth. The unit marked E34 is the body computer – the gubbins that operates just about every part of the car (and is the unit the interior fuse are mounted in at the back of the glovebox). O4 is a connector 'somewhere in the car', O105 is the boot light unit itself. O166 is the number plate lights but I think is also showing the microswitch that opens the boot.

The point about all this is it suggested there's only one switch inside the latch, but that it needs to fully move to both ends of its travel to keep things happy.

View attachment 416255
Doesn’t look right at all

Except for some base models without remote locking

There’s two mechanical switches as tested by @rmjbn1 two separate clicks. Might be built int one custom unit if you can be bothered to drill one apart

heres the wiring diagram

Have checked voltage to them in the past, they are permanently supplied and then shorted to earth which is sensed by the body computer

D7DEFAAA-14F8-4C8C-84B9-5502BFA4B022.jpeg

Doesn’t look right at all

Except for some base models without remote locking

There’s two mechanical switches as tested by @rmjbn1 two separate clicks. Might be built int one custom unit if you can be bothered to drill one apart

heres the wiring diagram

Have checked voltage to them in the past, they are permanently supplied and then shorted to earth which is sensed by the body computer

View attachment 416260
I think Haynes version (which *is* for the version with remote locking) is more schematic but they show the same basic principles: they are supplied from the body computer (the unit labelled E34 in the diagram from connections f26 and f39) - the light at any time and the release motor only once the car is unlocked (hence needing two separate switches) and yes both short to earth. Haynes’ diagram shows the latch ‘open’ with the boot light connecting to earth (so ‘on’).
What’s more interesting is everyone says ‘you can’t get a wiring diagram’ and we’ve shown at least two exist ;)

Back