Technical Boot won’t open off remote

Currently reading:
Technical Boot won’t open off remote

NitramA

My wife’s car has just started to exhibit a problem with the boot opening via the remote key fob.

Before all doors and the boot would unlock when the unlock button was pressed on the remote, but now only the doors unlock.
The boot can only be unlocked if the doors remain locked and the boot release button is pressed twice.

Looking through the forum it’s seems this is not an unknown problem in both the Panda and the 500. The fault seems to be either with the lock or the hatchback wiring, but I could see no reported fix.

Before I look any further and start dismantling the car I wondered if anyone has had this recently and what the fault was?
My money is on faulty wiring at the hatch joint, but I’d like to be wrong.
if it is the wiring there was mention of a patching kit -does anyone have experience fitting it?

Last edited:
There are many examples of the electric lock not releasing when using the external handle - and these all stem from an issue with the switch in that handle. As well as this Forum, search the older model too as the resolution is the same.

this 'odd' solution might help 'reset' it https://www.fiatforum.com/threads/car-has-new-battery-now-cant-open-boot-manually.479327/
So Lock/Unlock whist inside the car didn’t make any difference.

On further inspection it seemed to me that the unlocking action wasn’t what I’d call positive so I took the covers off and cleaned /greased the lock mechanism as it seemed the easiest to get to.
I also sprayed some plastic friendly WD40 stuff around the handle mechanism.
Whilst I’m not celebrating yet it does now seem to work, but will see if this fix lasts.
I did wonder if I could monitor the power off the connector at the boot latch end but I couldn’t get any conclusive measurements. I also couldn’t work out how to remove the connector to clean and reseat it either.

I take on board how the boot switch can be removed and cleaned up but that looks a little more involved than I want to be doing on a Sunday afternoon, so I’ll have a look if/when it goes wrong again.

On the current Panda (as compared to the type 169 that really suffered with boot switch issues), I think the whole thing is rater better sorted. But a good blast with the hose (not a jet wash - that's too much) into the small gap above the handle/numberplate light part and below the Fiat badge seems help. This visibly washes dirt out that can be seen flowing out over/behind the number plate. I suspect if enough crud collects in there, the switch simply can't move far enough?

At least it gave me a reason to clean the car!
Duly washed with special attention to the boot switch.

Its still working so hopefully that’s a fix albeit maybe a temporary one.
Fingers crossed.

I removed the rear lock and trim, sprayed the lock with electrical contact cleaner spray to the microswitch, and applied some silicon gease to ensure it stayed dry. That was 2 years ago and its been fine since so worth trying before spending a packet. Its easy to do and took about 90mins in total having nver done it before. Just trim clips and some 100mm nuts plus the door pull strap to deal with.

Oh well that didn’t last long. I need to go out and wrestle with my Panda nuts.

This is for the older model but the principles are the same. The 'carpet-like' trim on the inside of the post 2012 hatchback is help by 10 or so large plastic clips and one Allen screw on the pull-down tab. Otherwise, all as in this guide https://www.fiatforum.com/guides/how-to-remove-and-replace-electric-tailgate-handle.771/
Thanks for this.
I’ve just taken it apart and as you say it’s easy enough to do.
Obviously the bit about the rod that connects to the key lock doesn’t apply, but otherwise the process is spot on.
it did look like I could disassemble the boot switch further, but I thought the risk of breaking it too great so just pulled the micro switch out and cleaned everything up.
Whilst it was dirty, I didn’t think it was too bad. Not sure if I like the whole mechanism as it seems a little Heath Robinson to me. But then Fiat do make more cars than me, so what do I know?
I also put a piece of cable tie at the back to reduce the end float (Not that there was much).
I’ve put it all back together and everything is working as it should so I’ll just have to wait and see.
Now I know how to do it, it’s only a 10 minute job to remove.

One other question. If the number plate bulbs go, is it just a case of prying off the plastic cover? Looks like you can but didn’t want to push my luck!

One other question. If the number plate bulbs go, is it just a case of prying off the plastic cover? Looks like you can but didn’t want to push my luck!
To remove the cover from the number plate light, push a flat-bladed screwdriver in as close to vertical as possible to the recess at the right side of the plastic lens. Lever the screwdriver away from the light. This compresses a metal spring at the other end of the cover, and the lens will pop free. To refit, push the spring end (left end) in first.

Attachments

• 391CEE43-4C59-4E5C-BEFB-3A2B74817FE0.jpeg
    391CEE43-4C59-4E5C-BEFB-3A2B74817FE0.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 48
  • 1E0F5ED7-77DF-4062-9CCC-DF446E58A68B.jpeg
    1E0F5ED7-77DF-4062-9CCC-DF446E58A68B.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 43
  • F127AE98-BF11-4A11-96DA-C69CE50C8575.jpeg
    F127AE98-BF11-4A11-96DA-C69CE50C8575.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Aha. Thought I might have had to remove the whole assembly as well.
Glad to see you don’t need to.
Everydays a school day!

Back