Technical Small coolant leak - monitor or take action?

Currently reading:
Technical Small coolant leak - monitor or take action?

PepePanda

Small coolant leak located (after slow loss of coolant and previous owner topping up occasionally). Traced to bottom of rad (see pic). No other issues noted, no evidence of head gasket issues, no other leaks found so far, heater ok and temp holds well in middle.

One to monitor or replace radiator (assume this is the issue not a pipe down there)?

What does a rad replacement cost (uk) if people have experience at an indie garage?

Attachments

• PandaRadLeak.jpg
    PandaRadLeak.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 131
Small coolant leak located (after slow loss of coolant and previous owner topping up occasionally). Traced to bottom of rad (see pic). No other issues noted, no evidence of head gasket issues, no other leaks found so far, heater ok and temp holds well in middle.

One to monitor or replace radiator (assume this is the issue not a pipe down there)?

What does a rad replacement cost (uk) if people have experience at an indie garage?
Starting indicator on cost of a rad:
https://www.shop4parts.co.uk/?name=store&op=Product&ProdID=16989 (1.2 engine), or https://www.shop4parts.co.uk/?name=store&op=Product&ProdID=27337 (TwinAir)

If its a 1.2 petrol Check the thermostat housing plastic stub pipe they crack and leak after a number of years. no the plastic stub pipe is not available separately , yes the compete housing is cheap enough. One of the rubber hose clamps is very awkward-just leave hose on housing and release the other end of hose from car.
Also if 1.2 petrol there is a metal water pipe running horizontally across front of engine -check for rust and leaks

I can now see a bit of pink (now looking harder) on the back of the radiator through the fan housing, so guess it's going and dripping down. Clean everywhere else. So that's my leak. New radiator I expect then. Deep joy!

Not generally a complex thing to change.. the fan is usually bolted to it.. so a bit of time involved

Is the waterpump..and timing belt due soon also ? May be worth dealing with now :)
Thanks, it had cambelt etc 2 years and 30k ago (previous owner) so will get it checked, but should be ok for a good while yet!

Back