Technical Oil Leak and Oil Spec

Currently reading:
Technical Oil Leak and Oil Spec

Funky Spike

My 2012 TA 4x4 has developed a leak from the timing cover, a not unusual problem from reading up on it. Local Fiat and a trusted indy have both said around 8 hours to remedy it, has anyone had one fixed before? I'm probably going to leave it, for a while anyway. It's not like it's dripping all over the drive.
This leads me on to another question. I thought given the leak I better buy a can of oil to top up with in-between changes. I checked the manual and it says 5W-40 but looking at my recent service bills my local Fiat dealership have been using 0W-30 which I believe the later TAs use. Will it matter or should I be ringing them up on Monday asking WTF they're doing?

Spike

My 2012 TA 4x4 has developed a leak from the timing cover, a not unusual problem from reading up on it. Local Fiat and a trusted indy have both said around 8 hours to remedy it, has anyone had one fixed before? I'm probably going to leave it, for a while anyway. It's not like it's dripping all over the drive.
This leads me on to another question. I thought given the leak I better buy a can of oil to top up with in-between changes. I checked the manual and it says 5W-40 but looking at my recent service bills my local Fiat dealership have been using 0W-30 which I believe the later TAs use. Will it matter or should I be ringing them up on Monday asking WTF they're doing?

Spike
Hi when I buy my service kit from fiat they recommend 0w30 up to year 2014 then after that it was changed to 5w40 my panda is 2013 and it’s a TA Iam not sure what a diesel panda uses

Hi when I buy my service kit from fiat they recommend 0w30 up to year 2014 then after that it was changed to 5w40 my panda is 2013 and it’s a TA Iam not sure what a diesel panda uses
Although the OP has a TwinAir, to answer the diesel question:
• up to 2017 (Euro 5 engine) – 5W30
• after 2017 (Euro 6 spec) – 0W30
both meeting the ACEA C2 specification.

Sellers seem to have dropped the initial run TA oil spec

My punto is a 2012, and Nobody had UK stock when I needed some..
So I went for other brands of the same grade

My 63 plate panda is the Later spec oil

Shop4parts only sell that IIRC, never restocked with the 5-40

TA grade 0W/30 seems recommended for the later models.

My 2016 Panda 1.2 petrol is Euro 6 and it states 5w/40 FS in the manual. It also states 0W/30 for the TA and 5W/30 for the multijet (Euro 5), 0w/30 if Euro 6. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
TA grade 0W/30 seems recommended for the later models.

My 2016 Panda 1.2 petrol is Euro 6 and it states 5w/40 FS in the manual. It also states 0W/30 for the TA and 5W/30 for the multijet (Euro 5), 0w/30 if Euro 6. :rolleyes:
My local dealer said they changed the grade of oil in 2014 for the TA because fiat changed the service interval from 18.000 miles to 9.000 miles I’ve used now both grades and the wee car seems to be happy on both I change the oil and filter every year before it’s MOT I wouldn’t do big miles a year in an around 4000

Thanks for the replies. As usual with Fiat it looks as clear as mud 🤣
I was a little concerned when I read in the manual that using anything other than 5W-40 "could cause damage to the engine" but then realising that at least the last five oil changes, over 30k miles, have been 0W-30 makes me think any damage would have been done by now.

Although saying that everything that could wrong with it has, clutch and DMF, got a prop waiting to go on and this blessed oil leak I wonder if I'm pushing my luck 😁.

On the subject of the oil leak has anyone had this and had it rectified? I understand it's a big job, which is a pain considering how it was such an easy job on the old 1.2 and 1.1 Fiat motors I've had in the past.

Spike

My local dealer said they changed the grade of oil in 2014 for the TA because fiat changed the service interval from 18.000 miles to 9.000 miles I’ve used now both grades and the wee car seems to be happy on both I change the oil and filter every year before it’s MOT I wouldn’t do big miles a year in an around 4000
Technically Fiat changed the inspection interval from 18,000 to 9000 miles (or from two years to one on low mileage cars) ... the specified oil change interval is still 18,000miles for the TA, except on lower milage cars where they recommend an annual change. For cars travelling less than 10,000 kilometres (about 6000 miles) a year, or low mileages but mostly around town, they specify it must be changed annually.

Everything else listed at the newer 9000 mile intervals is just 'have a look' - nothing is changed at these intervening inspections (unless, for example, brakes are wearing thin). I call it the 'Paddington Service' - it's all just a hard stare! They changed it because in some cases cars were going two years or more between a service and that was leading to all sorts of issues.

That's said, especially with the TA needing to be well looked after, Id be changing my oil annually if I had one.

Attachments

• IMG_5423.jpeg
    IMG_5423.jpeg
    389.6 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
I do less than 4000 miles a year (a lot less) and insist on an annual oil and filter change.

Absolutely, we’re the same we probably do no more than 6000 miles a year, I’ve got the oil and oil filter already I’m just waiting to change the oil etc probably do it after the winter now, the car’s only done about 3000 miles since July.

Technically Fiat changed the inspection interval from 18,000 to 9000 miles (or from two years to one on low mileage cars) ... the specified oil change interval is still 18,000miles for the TA, except on lower milage cars where they recommend an annual change. For cars travelling less than 10,000 kilometres (about 6000 miles) a year, or low mileages but mostly around town, they specify it must be changed annually.

Everything else listed at the newer 9000 mile intervals is just 'have a look' - nothing is changed at these intervening inspections (unless, for example, brakes are wearing thin). I call it the 'Paddington Service' - it's all just a hard stare! They changed it because in some cases cars were going two years or more between a service and that was leading to all sorts of issues.

That's said, especially with the TA needing to be well looked after, Id be changing my oil annually if I had one.
My TA - new in June - has a Fiat service pack and service desk confirmed it gets an oil / filter change at every 9k service.

To add, if it's a Twinair, it is highly reccommended to use Selenia / Petronas Oil. The multiair units much prefer it and you can avoid misfiring issues particularly when cold!

Back