Are britain Racist?

Currently reading:
Are britain Racist?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...n-One-Brits-admits-racist-according-poll.html

Yes it's daily mail, so no 'daily mail is a pile of s***' because I know it is, but thought id share.

As quoted from my comment on there:

"Racist, or just fed up with our government bending over backwards to do anything to help anyone other than its own native people"

I know such a sensitive subject can spark numerous arguments, but thought I'd post up as it's something that some of us think, but do not speak about.

Exactly. Saying "Im not racist but" and then making a comment on people coming into the country just to take the ****, doesnt constitute racism.

Exactly both above. This is something that has been known for years but only now, dare the figures speak. Whatever figures they are, they may be inaccurate, but to be honest I do believe them.

However I do not think britain is racist, more fed up of the government.

Sorry, I know this is the FIATforum but things like this are most often deleted/moderated/frowned upon elsewhere

There are many different kinds of racism. I married a black man many years ago (divorced now) and my kids are bi racial. My mothers 'racism' was based on ignorance and naivety. I grew up in a sea side town and everyone was white and English. I was forbidden from bringing him to our STREET in case the neighbours saw him. To her, it was something that you just didnt do and that was as much to do with her age and generation (she was 42 when I was born in 1963).

Fast forward to being a white woman raising black kids and yes, I did experience some racism. I can remember having bananas smeared all over my doorstep on a baking hot day and opening the door to swarms of flies. I remember noting the comments that white people would make in front of me that they would never make if my husband or kids were around.

When I became single again I can remember people assuming that ANY black man was going to be attractive to me because I had married one. Thats like saying that ANY white woman would be attractive to you if you have previously dated one and that its the only race you would consider - insulting to say the least, not to mention wrong.

These days, the BIG thing that really annoys me is not so much race but education and it does coincide with a degree of racism depending on how you look at it. I did a temping job just before Christmas, it was a distribution centre of a supermarket chain. Making calls, answering emails etc. I was the ONLY one in that office who could string a sentence together that made any sense. The rest of them were immigrants.

I have no issue with people moving around the world and trying to make a better life, but it do find it very frustrating that people are getting paid for jobs that they are CLEARLY not qualified to do, or capable of doing IN THIS COUNTRY for whatever reason. It reflects badly on the whole business and makes everyone elses job that bit harder. We had a Polish driver who took an 18 wheeler the wrong way around the M25 because he couldnt read the English map. I would get calls from stores asking me to explain the last email that they got from my Indian colleague - while they poked fun at everyone in the depot because what she sent them was the FACE of the depot as far as they are concerned - so if there is a mistake followed by a poorly written email then it must mean that we are all stupid. If that makes me racist then I guess I must be.

I would get calls from stores asking me to explain the last email that they got from my Indian colleague - while they poked fun at everyone in the depot because what she sent them was the FACE of the depot as far as they are concerned - so if there is a mistake followed by a poorly written email then it must mean that we are all stupid. If that makes me racist then I guess I must be.

To be fair there are enough kids educated in the UK who barely make sense when putting things in writing.

As for racism I am a firm believer that papers like the daily mail are a big chunk of the problem, the belief that because someone has a different coloured skin or dresses differently makes them 'foreign' is ridiculous. I've worked with people from all over the world both hard workers and lazy. I've worked with British people who couldn't read a map (actually they just couldn't read) which meant when ever they took a company car out they would get lost and I'd have to send someone to rescue them, and I can assure you Germans have a wicked sense of humour.
A lot of it is stereo types believed by people who don't have any experience (and the daily mail)

I think the abuse FionaB talks about is pretty indicative of the ignorance of people, ultimately skin colour doesn't change who you are and we all want the same things.

My mum seems to think that all immigrants only come to the uk to claim benefits, yet the truth is most immigration into the uk from eastern european countries, come over to work, boosting the economy and bringing with them some of the strongest vodka I have ever come across.

Yet there are plenty of British born white people living in the uk sponging of benefits who have never worked a day in their life. (you only have to watch Jeramy Kyle, to see this) these people cost the county far more than immigrants from Poland. Yet these Brits are often the ones complaining about 'people taking British jobs' etc etc,

Anyway going off on a tangent, if brits are racist I blame the daily mail. (y)

Simple answer NO Britain is not racist.

Like any other country there are small pockets of racists on all sides.

One thing I will say though is the divide between Black and White is far less than it used to be. Living in Wolverhampton all my life I'd go as far as saying "today racism between black and white is miniscule".

However, that can't be said for the Asian(muslim) communities around here. It makes no difference to them what colour you are, if your not a muslim your scum and they let you know. I think the most racist people here in Wolverhampton are Asian(muslim) and it seems that way in most large cities ...

To be fair there are enough kids educated in the UK who barely make sense when putting things in writing.

As for racism I am a firm believer that papers like the daily mail are a big chunk of the problem, the belief that because someone has a different coloured skin or dresses differently makes them 'foreign' is ridiculous. I've worked with people from all over the world both hard workers and lazy. I've worked with British people who couldn't read a map (actually they just couldn't read) which meant when ever they took a company car out they would get lost and I'd have to send someone to rescue them, and I can assure you Germans have a wicked sense of humour.
A lot of it is stereo types believed by people who don't have any experience (and the daily mail)

I think the abuse FionaB talks about is pretty indicative of the ignorance of people, ultimately skin colour doesn't change who you are and we all want the same things.

My mum seems to think that all immigrants only come to the uk to claim benefits, yet the truth is most immigration into the uk from eastern european countries, come over to work, boosting the economy and bringing with them some of the strongest vodka I have ever come across.

Yet there are plenty of British born white people living in the uk sponging of benefits who have never worked a day in their life. (you only have to watch Jeramy Kyle, to see this) these people cost the county far more than immigrants from Poland. Yet these Brits are often the ones complaining about 'people taking British jobs' etc etc,

Anyway going off on a tangent, if brits are racist I blame the daily mail. (y)

I agree there are a lot of Brits who also cant read or dont have a good enough command of the English language to be left in charge of a phone. Thats my issue - whoever they are, if they are unable (for whatever reason) to do the job then I wish they were not doing it. It just happens that in my neck of the woods, thats most likely to be due to not being English but yes, it would annoy me just as much if they WERE English and had that sort of position.

You are also right about the Brits who dont want to work, I was chatting to a Lithuanian at work who explained to me that they have something called 'hundreders' (literal translation) in a lot of eastern european countries, meaning that they earn 100 euros a MONTH. Buying a TV or running a car is a far off dream. Given that rents in London are so high I used to wonder how it could be worth it to rent a place and work on agency pay - thats the reason. Doing the jobs that we dont want to do for way more than they would get at home.

That said, the dynamics are different. An economic migrant doesnt mind sharing a rented house with others, maybe even sharing a room with others. They work all hours, send money home or save and go home with what they earned.

Lets say you have someone in their 20s born here, they have a kid and a mortgage or a council house. They are already in the system. If they went to work for the same agency they would take home at best the same as they got in benefits. Where is the incentive? Im not saying its right, but its about coming into it from a totally different angle. To a migrant worker its SO much better than what they came from - to someone here its crap money for 40 hours versus crap money for no hours.

Simple answer NO Britain is not racist.

Like any other country there are small pockets of racists on all sides.

One thing I will say though is the divide between Black and White is far less than it used to be. Living in Wolverhampton all my life I'd go as far as saying "today racism between black and white is miniscule".

However, that can't be said for the Asian(muslim) communities around here. It makes no difference to them what colour you are, if your not a muslim your scum and they let you know. I think the most racist people here in Wolverhampton are Asian(muslim) and it seems that way in most large cities ...

I agree with you mate, however I imagine those muslims follow extreme ideologies.

And I do agree with fiona/AndyRkett.

To be honest, it's a difficult question to answer. As above, examples of racism within education, racism within economical fields etc exist everywhere..

Where I live, rotherham, nearly everybody I know will make a racist remark daily, but will happily get along with anyone from any race.

In fact, I think most of the racist views that do exist within Britain, is due to anger at imigration and the rise of typically non-english surroundings, e.g. mosques.

If this frustrated me, does it make me racist?

http://englishdefenceleague.org/forum/edl-chat/britain-and-the-future-under-islam/

@FionaB: i'd be interested in your opinion of the above having experienced racism first hand.

Last edited:
however I imagine those muslims follow extreme ideologies.

Then there's one hell of a lot of extremists living in and around Wolverhampton.

Every Sunday the Sikh Temple down the road from me fills up and many of them walk past my bungalow, usually about the time I'm cutting my front lawn so they stop for a chat(I'm the local neighbourhood watch coordinator). They tell me about the troubles they're having with local muslims and they hate that most people can't tell the difference between Sikh's and muslims so they get tarred with the same "terrorist, pedo god worshipping, wife beating, extremist" brush.

Its an odd thing to say but most of the racism I hear about is between people from similar a area of the world, with the same colour skin but different religious views.

In Ireland Catholics hate Protestants, they're white hating white.

Today racism is no longer about the colour of your skin.

Religion sucks .. :(

Its an odd thing to say but most of the racism I hear about is between people from similar a area of the world, with the same colour skin but different religious views.

In Ireland Catholics hate Protestants, they're white hating white.

Today racism is no longer about the colour of your skin.

Religion sucks .. :(

Amen to that:D

"Are britain Racist?" No doubt the spelling Nazi will be along to answer that one.

Last edited:
Religion has nothing to do with race ;) you see not likening someone because their skin is a different colour is illogical and irrational, where as not liking somebody because of their beliefs is a completely different thing.

You see in the past if I said to a Muslim "I don't agree with your views on the treatment and oppression of women" I would be 'racist' but more recently the tables are turning and some normality is being restored and telling someone, no matter what race they are from, you don't agree with them is your right and the authorities in the UK are beginning to realise this.

In all honesty I don't care what colour you are, or what god you praise if you're a pr**k then you are a pr**k and I would defend anyone's right to say so, there can be no racism in this.

Given that I work in health care these days and a huge number of doctors and nurses probably originate from other countries religions or ethnic backgrounds, being racist or intollerant if a false economy because one day you are going to need these people to cure, help, or look after you! Especially as less and less brits are willing to do so.
Oh and going back to the daily mail they will tell you that all these drs and nurses will kill you because they're "all incompetent" and "unable to speak English" god only knows where they get the evidence for this from.

Amen to that:D

"Are britain Racist?" No doubt the spelling Nazi will be along to answer that one.

shouldnt the thread title be "Are the british Racist" or "Is Britian racist"?

isnt it racist to brand a whole race or country as racist?

Grammar_Nazis____The_Motivator_by_ZlayaHozyayka_1323731.jpg

TBH thought @ekplize3k would get here first...

Sorry.. Off Topic..

:Offtopic:

shouldnt the thread title be "Are the british Racist" or "Is Britian racist"?

isnt it racist to brand a whole race or country as racist?

absolutely no thought went into the title, but you are correct.

Apologies for this.

@AppleSei: I agree with some of their points, but most are quite racist. But, despite this, I think a lot of people are turning towards them through fear of the country becoming increasingly muslim:

http://englishdefenceleague.org/foru...e-under-islam/

I knew this topic wouldn't get anywhere as there are just so many different views, but daily, something frustrates me regarding this so it is good to see other opinions.

If I was to say I don't like seeing all asian food/clothing/market shops and not seeing one white person on a single street, is that racist? Honestly, I don't know. I know its a simplistic thing to say and probably sounds like a typical racist, but i dont know.

Last edited:
completely agree! and, is becoming worse according to http://englishdefenceleague.org/foru...e-under-islam/

So, are we racist, or would the country just like the government to look after its native people. But then again, who are the native people of modern times.

I've never been racist, I like different cultures etc, but in some places it seems certain cultures are being forced out.

I dont know what this means, but where i live has always been visually 'white', so when an indian fmaily moved in nearby it was a surprise and im not sure people like it..

Last edited:
Last edited:
the country is f*cking bonkers.

I don't care about the source (daily mail) the fact is that what you have linked does exist.

WHY is there a record of name calling anyway?

I'd say it is instinctive to discriminate anyway, so as a child they are probably going by instinct.

again, another view which could easily seperate into another topic.

Just so many issues :(

Back