General Air Con Rad condenser Cost

Currently reading:
General Air Con Rad condenser Cost

So, my panda has just had its 1st service , and on the paperwork it states Air Con Rad collapsed.
They quoted £811.37 Manufacturers part
Auto part £438.

Looking online and finding prices at £56 - £100, Im obviously missing something here, Ive never had Air Con before
On a panda. So not sure what the normal maintenance is, or what the difference in prices?, plus there would be labour on top Im sure.

This is on a Panda Cross TA 4x4 2019 37K miles.

Thanks
Jaffa

Attachments

• IMG_8532.jpeg
    IMG_8532.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 37
So, my panda has just had its 1st service , and on the paperwork it states Air Con Rad collapsed.
Auto part £438.

Looking online and finding prices at £56 - £100, Im obviously missing something here, Ive never had Air Con before
On a panda. So not sure what the normal maintenance is, or what the difference in prices?, plus there would be labour on top Im sure.

Thanks
Jaffa
Not sure exactly what that image is demonstrating? Does the a/c still work? If so the system remains gas tight. If they are suggesting there will be a reducing efficiency due a loss of the matrix cooling fins (and therefore surface area) then I wouldn't disagree. I just had an a/c check (on my Volvo) to find a leak - that was free at a local Formula 1 garage (not sure if they operate in the North?) they will charge £49.00 +vat for a regas once I have swapped out the condenser (which as you note was £69.00 manufactured by Nissens which in many cases are OEM suppliers although I don't know re FIAT).

Any check/regas would typically pull a vacuum and hold, to a) purge any air/water etc and b) ensure integrity of the system.

on the paperwork it states Air Con Rad collapsed
Poppycock!

It is indeed true that the A/C matrix often collapses after a number of years in the British climate; few that are more than 3-4 years old have a complete set of inner fins. Thin aluminium and salt water don't work well together, and the inner matrix is little thicker than Bacofoil.

But it usually takes a lot of missing fins before they collapse to the point where they leak, and even with most of the fins gone, it doesn't have much impact on A/C performance.

The good news is that yours is in the best condition of any of the pictures I've seen posted here. I very much doubt that any similar car of similar age would be any better.

There's no need whatsoever to replace it unless it's actually leaking gas. You'd know if this happened because the A/C would stop blowing cold air.

I'd say yours is good for a few more years service yet.

Save your money.

Auto part £438.

Thanks
Jaffa
Iam after replacing mine I went to get the air con regased and it was leaking I paid from a motor factor £84 all in

Back