Technical 257 mm brake discs on panda 1.2 69HP 4x4

Currently reading:
Technical 257 mm brake discs on panda 1.2 69HP 4x4

We need to know if

It’s pushing the pedal hard it’s not stopping
this.
I am not sure the DP2945 will fit.
Brembo P23097 and Ferodo FDB1652 have the correct shape, I am not able to find anything sportier…

Last edited:
Ok. They should be the DP21573, are the greenstuff really worth the extra money?

Ok. They should be the DP21573, are the greenstuff really worth the extra money?
They're supposed to offer better performance under repeated heavy braking, but I don't really have an opinion on them TBH.
I've had Greenstuff pads on my MX5 for about 10 years, so they last OK, but probably not as long as standard pads.
I needed pads, was doing some track days and they had a lot of recommendations on the MX5 forum so I thought I'd give them a go.
Can't say I noticed any difference in feel, but then the standard MX5 brakes are very good and it's a light car.

A sticky caliper or pads that aren't retracting properly could easily cause overheating - are you confident you don't have a brake running too hot?

Every car I've had with rear discs has had sticking rear calipers, either rusty slider pins or pistons.
They get all the muck thrown at them and have so little to do on light cars.
I also clean rust off the reaction frames on the front brakes of my Panda every year.

My 100HP rear discs are the same rotor as used on the front of 1.1 and 1.2 Pandas. It's way over-spec for the back end but that's under ABS control so no worries. When one stopped working I had no idea until I needed to brake hard in the wet and had the back end swing alarmingly. Scary because there was nothing visibly wrong with the brakes. ABS was frankly useless maybe it averages the rear wheel speeds. I don't know.

I replaced both calipers and fitted new discs and pads to make it a full set.

Personally, I would be quite happy with the far more reliable (and much cheaper) drums on the back but 100HP has to be seen to be posh.

Personally, I would be quite happy with the far more reliable (and much cheaper) drums on the back
Me too.

Less risk of uncommanded handbrake release when parked on a hill, too.

The decision to fit discs on the rear of the 100HP was likely made by marketing, not engineering.

Not sure if it's just fiat rear discs, but in general, rear discs on my cars (non-fiat) are far less trouble that drum on the rear of smaller cars in the family. The adjusters on drums general stick eventually and that needs a full strip down every so often.

Both of my 100HP rear calipers sprung a leak from the hand brake lever seal. One got replaced after the "exiting" event. The other some time later when I found a puddle on the drive. Another time I would swap both togethers as pairs are pretty cheap.

Wife's rear drum brakes just keep on going. Very reliable and you can replace the whole axle set of drums and shoes for less than a pair of 100HP rear calipers. They will be getting a good check this summer for the MOT.

Both of my 100HP rear calipers sprung a leak from the hand brake lever seal. One got replaced after the "exiting" event. The other some time later when I found a puddle on the drive. Another time I would swap both togethers as pairs are pretty cheap.
Definitely just a fiat thing, never had a leak with any other make's rear calipers

Any recommendation on the brake fluid? I saw the Bosch ENV4 and ENV6, they are claimed to last 3y, but there are very few reviews online

Any recommendation on the brake fluid? I saw the Bosch ENV4 and ENV6, they are claimed to last 3y, but there are very few reviews online
I doubt there much real world difference

Here’s a list

You can only use DOT4

I’d go for the cheapest on here for the best bang per buck

Definitely just a fiat thing, never had a leak with any other make's rear calipers
They are Bosch calipers visually identical to those used on Honda Jazz. Both leaked from the hand brake shaft seals though the first failures was the piston seizing up and not operating properly. The leak was found when I replaced the caliper. The second left a fluid puddle and wrecked the pads so I ended up replacing the whole lot (discs x 2, pads x 4 and caliper x1) The recently replaced caliper was obviously ok.

Occassionally rear seem to go sticky more than the front, but never have I had a disc caliper leak (with one exception, my mum had a shogun that leaked, only due to the fact that she'd worn the pad through the backing and then piston into the disc that eventually twsted the piston out - not sure I can put that on the caliper "leaking" though)

just for reference: it is possible and all standard FIAT 14” work fine.
original HP100 calipers, Brembo discs and Ferodo DS performance pads have been used
Stopping power quiete similar tbh, but difference in fading is night and day

IMG_0334.jpeg

IMG_0538.jpeg

I'm sure they are bosch but will have to check.

Edit - A quick look on eBay and yes they are Lucas. I must be getting confused with the fronts.

Back