Technical 2013 4x4 space saver wheel with 2019 4x4 Cross

Currently reading:
Technical 2013 4x4 space saver wheel with 2019 4x4 Cross

gloomyandy

I'm thinking of replacing my 2013 (63 plate) 4x4 with a 2019 4x4 cross. My existing 4x4 has a space saver wheel (and jack). Is it worth hanging on to these for use with the cross?

Thanks!

Should work well..and save you a fair bit of cash.

1 point.. nobody seems to worry about the AGE of the rubber on spacesavers..

But personally I think less than 10 years is ok.

Charlie
I think the age is a lot less if s concern with a space saver ed given bit spend most of its life on the car away from the UV light and having minimal weight and wear on it

Is a spacesaver wheel/tyre really OK with a 4x4? Is there no danger of problems with the transmission windup?
I have never had a 4x4 before, and honestly I do not really like the sealant and blow up system that came with my 2018 "ordinary" 4x4, really I would like a proper spare wheel (spacesaver is OK IF it is really OK, if you know what I mean)

The 4wd system is set up to cope with the different wheel diameter of the spare on the straight 4x4 but, because the Cross has bigger wheels, I'd be a bit concerned using a 4x4 Spacesaver on the Cross.

If you bought a new space saver with the car it would be the same diameter as the one you have, Nothing bigger will fit in the wheel well. Its only intended to get you to the nearest tyre depot and these space savers are not fit for anything more as the handling steering and brakes are all seriously compromised from their use! Taken that you use only for this limited amount of time and at reduced speed it should perform as required. I have one, but believe they are not really safe at all so hope never to need it!

The 4wd system is set up to cope with the different wheel diameter of the spare on the straight 4x4 but, because the Cross has bigger wheels, I'd be a bit concerned using a 4x4 Spacesaver on the Cross.
The rolling diameter of the Cross wheels and the 'regular' 4x4 is very nearly the same. The owner's handbook shows the same space saver for both.

Is a spacesaver wheel/tyre really OK with a 4x4? Is there no danger of problems with the transmission windup?
I have never had a 4x4 before, and honestly I do not really like the sealant and blow up system that came with my 2018 "ordinary" 4x4, really I would like a proper spare wheel (spacesaver is OK IF it is really OK, if you know what I mean)
The owner manual explains that the 4x4 engagement system (which is electronically controlled) 'detects' the presence of the space saver and reduces 4x4 to a minimum. On the road, the car is always in 2WD drive mode (front wheels) anyway (unless you select the ELD function - or 'off-road' setting in Cross -- both are the same setting... something the handbook strongly advises against if on tarmac.)

This text comes from page 60 of the current owner's handbook:

If the space-saver wheel is used
If the space-saver wheel is used, the control unit for 4x4 drive detects its
presence (via the wheel speed signals) and reduces the intervention of the
four-wheel drive mode to a minimum, while guaranteeing the agility of the
vehicle. No fault/alarm signal is displayed on the instrument panel or on
the display.

Last edited:
The owner manual explains that the 4x4 engagement system (which is electronically controlled) 'detects' the presence of the space saver and reduces 4x4 to a minimum. On the road, the car is always in 2WD drive mode (front wheels) anyway (unless you select the ELD function - or 'off-road' setting in Cross -- both are the same setting... something the handbook strongly advises against if on tarmac.)

This text comes from page 60 of the current owner's handbook:

If the space-saver wheel is used
If the space-saver wheel is used, the control unit for 4x4 drive detects its
presence (via the wheel speed signals) and reduces the intervention of the
four-wheel drive mode to a minimum, while guaranteeing the agility of the
vehicle. No fault/alarm signal is displayed on the instrument panel or on
the display.

HH Thanks for this information. My handbook says absolutely NOTHING about using a spacesaver, so this information was particularly useful

HH Thanks for this information. My handbook says absolutely NOTHING about using a spacesaver, so this information was particularly useful
That info is from page 60 of the handbook which came with my May 2018 Panda 4x4... which has an edition date of June 2017 inside the back cover, so should be the same in yours?

My handbook came with my new June (registered) 4x4 Panda. It is shown as Print no. 603.91.559 - 12/2017 - 1 Edition My page 60 covers ACTIVE SAFETY SYSTEMS ABS. ESC. and HH.
The only mention of a spacesaver wheel comes in "Warning" no.143 on page 119 and basically it says" it is specific to your car don't use it on other models," "it's temporary" "80km/h max"
Page 120 talks about "fix and Go Kit" The car came with neither a jack nor a wheel brace (wrench in handbook parlance)
I think I will have to treat the Panda to a Jack, Wrench and (specific) spacesaver wheel/tyre
I wonder how many versions of the handbook there are and how it is decided which one which car should have. My TA is a 6 speed manual, petrol, but handbook still has pages about LPG and Natural Power versions and Dualogic transmission, and other irrelevancies

I wonder how many versions of the handbook there are and how it is decided which one which car should have. My TA is a 6 speed manual, petrol, but handbook still has pages about LPG and Natural Power versions and Dualogic transmission, and other irrelevancies
I believe there is only one book that covers all models... so it will show LPG, Dualogic versions etc. And all left hand drive. In mine, there are also two or three pages at the very back that show the RHD variations.

Last edited:
I worked on the AA Multifit wheel. This is a “universal” space saver. We raised the issue of different size to the other road wheels. Most electronic traction control systems, including 4x4 systems have wide enough limits or dynamic mapping to allow for the difference in effective rolling diameter of wheels. But another reason why driving on these wheels should be at reduced speeds. They are only a get you home or to tyre centre and as far as I can remember not legal for continuous or ongoing use.

I doubt the circumference difference the cause of failure. The whole point of the diff is to cope with differences between the wheel travel. How does it not know you are not just driving in continuous large circles? Else you better just drive X3 in a straight line.

I believe there is only one book that covers all models... so it will show LPG, Dualogic versions etc. And all left hand drive. In mine, there are also two or three pages at the very back that show the RHD variations.

Hi HH
There clearly must be more than one version of the handbook, as your page 60 and my page 60 are entirely different, and my handbook has no reference to spacesaver wheel/tyre except the warning on page 143.
The mystery deepens:cry:

Hi HH
There clearly must be more than one version of the handbook, as your page 60 and my page 60 are entirely different, and my handbook has no reference to spacesaver wheel/tyre except the warning on page 143.
The mystery deepens:cry:
Sorry - I was not quite clear. At any one time, there’s only one book (so my June 2017 edition covers all models including CNG/LPG, 2- and 4-wheel drive, etc.). But, they reprint and update it regularly. Yours is a newer version than mine, which may for example reflect the loss of rear speakers, usb in glove box etc. Some of the more recent changes to the Panda range (such as No longer fitting winter tyres to the 4x4s) are to improve the WLTP fuel consumption figures, and it may be they no longer offer a space saver as that adds weight, and so consumes more. That may be why it’s not referred to?

Last edited:
Back