General Buying a panda 4x4 2017-2019

Currently reading:
General Buying a panda 4x4 2017-2019

Hi,
Im still looking around for a fiat panda 4x4 2016 - 2019 Petrol model and might look at a Waze 4x4 this weekend.
It’s been years since I last looked and bought a panda, so Im wondering what are the things I should be on the look out for?
I know FSH and service stamps, but Im unsure what the regular service intervals were.
Also, if I get a warranty with the car, again what should I be looking for it covering, or are they not worth the paper it’s written on.
Thanks
Fozzy

Service (assuming TwinAir petrol) was originally set at once every 18,000 miles. Then (I think from 2017?) Fiat changed to saying ‘needs an inspection visit’ every 9000 miles (but just ‘looked at it’ and charged for the privilege). Finally they settled on an oil change service every 9,000 miles (or annually for low mileage cars)… which I assume means they found waiting for 18k - resulted in too many ‘issues’.

For other issues have a search around for threads about dual mass flywheel problems, potential trouble with the 4x4 propshaft support mounting, rusting of the metal sump guard/under tray and also of water sitting in the scuttle owing to blocked duck bills. All these are much less likely in well maintained (by user, not dealer) cars. Cars that are routinely washed underneath suffer much less - so check for mud in the arches and along the ‘back’ of the sills. If there, then check the above more carefully.

They are great cars (I’m on my fourth now), but just like any other car, taking care of the bits you can’t see is often more important than polishing the bits you can.

Warranty you need to specifically check mfor the Uniair unit and for the DMF. Both are Panda specific and you want written confirmation in advance that they re covered as these policies are specific and may thus not include the main bits you want covered. Check it covers 4x4s too. Buying from a dealer will get a decent comprehensive warranty and I tend to do this so for at least a year I can just take it back. Ruby our 319 1.2 needed all the emissions stuff sorting and it saved us money overall having the Dealer backed warranty, and also got Fiat bits fitted.... which failed after another 11 months so we were covered by the Fiat parts warranty for that too.

Waze doesnt get the leather steering wheel and no seat height adjustment. It does get teh Cross drive control knob and HDC. I had these missing essnetials and a raft of other stuff on mine to bring it as near as, to a Cross, but without the raised roof bars and fake elather seat bolsters that I dont like. May be for extreme off road the Cross front end may be slightly better but for anonymity and a bit more class I would choose the standard front end.

Last edited:
Warranty you need to specifically check mfor the Uniair unit and for the DMF. Both are Panda specific and you want written confirmation in advance that they re covered as these policies are specific and may thus not include the main bits you want covered. Check it covers 4x4s too. Buying from a dealer will get a decent comprehensive warranty and I tend to do this so for at least a year I can just take it back. Ruby our 319 1.2 needed all the emissions stuff sorting and it saved us money overall having the Dealer backed warranty, and also got Fiat bits fitted.... which failed after another 11 months so we were covered by the Fiat parts warranty for that too.

Waze doesnt get the leather steering wheel and no seat height adjustment. It does get teh Cross drive control knob and HDC. I had these missing essnetials and a raft of other stuff on mine to bring it as near as, to a Cross, but without the raised roof bars and fake elather seat bolsters that I dont like. May be for extreme off road the Cross front end may be slightly better but for anonymity and a bit more class I would choose the standard front end.
I have a similar question - I am not hooked on a particular vintage of Panda 4x4, but I would like to buy one that could do a 10,000 mile rally to Mongolia, it largely tarmac roads, though the Stans etc there is lots of gravel tracks. I have a slight preference for analogue over digital on the basis that I might be able to fix it, but a more modern car with AC would certainly have its advantages. Which model of Panda would you recommend for such a journey and why? All suggestions welcomed.
James

I have a similar question - I am not hooked on a particular vintage of Panda 4x4, but I would like to buy one that could do a 10,000 mile rally to Mongolia, it largely tarmac roads, though the Stans etc there is lots of gravel tracks. I have a slight preference for analogue over digital on the basis that I might be able to fix it, but a more modern car with AC would certainly have its advantages. Which model of Panda would you recommend for such a journey and why? All suggestions welcomed.
James
Any Panda 4x4 would be capable of doing that sort of journey, but I agree analogue would be better so if you can find a well sorted Mk 1 Panda 141 it will be easier to fix if required. The London to Capetown Record car was a modified 319. Worth reading up on what they did to equip for the journey. I understand several Panda 169 have sucessfully done the Mongolia rally too.

Back