Technical 2009 500

Currently reading:
Technical 2009 500

p0689109

Although all the lights are working when I switch the headlights on I get the red triangle showing in the speedo console. I went to hopefully plug the OBD in and find the plug is completely different on the car. Is there a reader that is available or is there a block that will fit both the obd and the car?

Although all the lights are working when I switch the headlights on I get the red triangle showing in the speedo console. I went to hopefully plug the OBD in and find the plug is completely different on the car. Is there a reader that is available or is there a block that will fit both the obd and the car?

Here is my GUIDE to access the OBD port 😉

What equipment are you hoping to use on the car?

A lot of the cheaper ones only read ENGINE codes! (often vith VAG style written meanings too) 🤔

Ideally once you get a code.. Search it on here 😉

OOPS! I should have worn my glasses as it is a normal OBD II tester. So a further check of the lights has shown that the reverse light is not working. The bulb and the bulb holder system in the cluster all have continuity so it seems that the loom is the problem. I will have to start checking the plug and the wiring that is getatable first.

Look at the tailgate flexible probably a dogs dinner, note the reversing light doesn't trigger a warning same as the headlights and probably the fog light so that also suggests a short or similar

Last edited:
So I am thinking that the problem might be the reversing light switch. The Haynes shows the switch in the wiring diagrams but does not mention it in the Body electrical systems section? I am assuming it will be on the gearbox but any ideas?

Orange triangle when the lights are switched on is the only indication of a fault. I just checked the lights and found the culprit was the reverse light. Bulb is OK so I will do continuity checks of the switch and also check the wiring loom as suggested.

So I disconnected both ends of the wiring and checked the continuity of the two cables as a circuit and all is good so it sems to be the actual reverse switch that is the problem.

The bulb and the bulb holders all work up to the connector. I will try the switch disconnect/lights on and will respond in about 5 mins.

So did that and the triangle come on. I also have got the caution of running light fault displayed then clears.

The lights on the car all work apart from the reverse light but that bulb is good. When I got the car the lower front lights were always on which I worked out was the main beam. Why people select that I do not know. I found how to change the selection to side light mode for normal night drive and when main beam is required it changes to that beam. So all the lights work as they should now apart from the warning.

So the message/triangle does not make sense to me. The lower lights can be side lights as "normal" lights when its getting dark and the lights are selected on. If you then select main beam as opposed to "normal" dip beam then the lower light changes to main beam. The running lights is a seperate selection which I find is unecessary to have them on during daylight hours. So why does the car think that with the normal selection on at night that the car should drive around with the main beam on all the time as it is warning that they are not on?

Try this, go out to the car, don't start it, turn on the lights from the off position walk round the car and check all the side lights are working.
Turn off the lights start the car, for reference are the day running lights on or off(in the bumper) even if you're not going to use them try turning on in the menu, do they both come on? Turn off in menu.
Now turn on the headlights, check that all side lights are on, the fronts being dim in the bumper, flick to beam now the lower one's should also be fully on via the main beam bulb?
Your description above seems correct operation apart from when on dip the lower lights should be "quite" dim
Note you only get warning for, brake, side lights and DRL, there are no warnings for dip/beam/fog or reversing lights.
Do check the boot wiring by peeling back the gaiter

Last edited:
So I am assuming that the warning of a bulb out, sensed by whatever, is the reverse light system not working. The garage had a quick look during the recent MOT(it passed all clear!) and removed and checked the reverse light switch, which worked as it should. So the complete circuit is working, as in the continuity of the two cable system is fine, the plug is fine and the switch is fine! So I am a bit stumped at the moment on this fault.
There is now another weird thing happening, on and off, which is the indicator light system playing up. Sometime it will be alright to start with and then the "clicking" warning will stop but the light still does its on/off duty. Obviously a electronic hiccup with whatever system or item that controls this system. Any ideas what could be causing the fault and what/where is the controller of this system?

Back