Technical Fiat 500 cambelt

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat 500 cambelt

Fagan500

I have a 2018 Fiat 500, which has done nearly 18000 miles. The garage has informed me that in September, when it has its service and MOT, the cambelt will need to be replaced due to age. As the quoted charge is £450, I would like to check if it would be too much of a risk to push replacement forward 12 months. My current mileage is around 5000 a year.

I have a 2018 Fiat 500, which has done nearly 18000 miles. The garage has informed me that in September, when it has its service and MOT, the cambelt will need to be replaced due to age. As the quoted charge is £450, I would like to check if it would be too much of a risk to push replacement forward 12 months. My current mileage is around 5000 a year.
I haven't got the details for a 2018 model, but generally cambelts are recommended by the manufacturer to be changed by mileage or time/years whichever is the sooner.
So even with low mileage, then due to age the material of the cambelt can deteriorate and possibly fail, the cost of total engine damage far out weighing the saving of £450.
Lots of people take the risk, but as they say "Do you feel lucky?";)

cambelt change £350-£500 ,new engine £2000+if you can find one!, 2nd hand engine £350-£650+ fitting and a complete unknown!
what price do you put on your piece- of- mind then? 🤔
As the belt ages the fibres wear and stretch slightly, the longer the time the greater this happens , the more stretch the greater the chances of timing going out- or even the belt jumping the pullys!.
No one likes the cost but the potential for much greater ones increase the longer you leave it!.
When its being done its a false economy NOT to change the water pump at the same time!"

I know I'm pushing it but ours is 7 years old, the water pump (15 years old and 100k )

If you can, take off the timing belt cover off and inspect the belt (image from the Workshop Manual), this would give you more information for you to make a decision on delaying or not.
Timing Belt.png

Belts do vary, some cars within their recommended schedules look terrible, with the belt sloppy and cracked as hell, just asking to fail and yet others, miles over the limits can look perfect and almost hard to justify changing.
A close inspection helps if possible, but at the end of the day the cost of it's failure on many engines is a scrap car time!:(

To be honest i dont know why we are debating this? regardless of if the belt "LOOKS" perfect or not its a ticking time -bomb of worry! .

Only my opinion but if you quibbling about a potential £500 bill after five years of service from a key component ,then your not being realistic about the cost of running a vehicle with proper and appropriate servicing!.
You pays your money(or not!) and makes your choice ! but if the engine detonates!- dont come back on here crying into your beer! its your own fault!.

I've got most of the money to do the belt, issue is where do I go to have it done given so many places seem to mess things up, the dealer is a 15 min walk from the house, it went there last time and was(at the time) really cheap £225, I'm tempted just to go back there even though it will cost more, I will also have to barging the price of changing the water pump, not quote me for pump plus several hours labour

Can anyone tell me which waterpump is correct, shop4parts only list 1, but ECP list two different sizes?

Last edited:
I've got most of the money to do the belt, issue is where do I go to have it done given so many places seem to mess things up, the dealer is a 15 min walk from the house
There have been so many posts on here from folks who've had running issues after belt changes done by independent garages that this is one of those extremely rare cases where I'd recommend paying the extra to have the job done by a franchised dealer.

If you hold off then I'd say the odds are in your favour. There will be many belts on cars that go well over the limit, and I dont think I've ever seen a broken timing belt post on the 1.2 engines on here. And people head to forums when things go wrong.

I changed ours at just under 7 years and 40k something miles (didnt plan 7 years, just found out at six and a half it wasn't done, so changed at next service). The belt looked visually identical to the new one. The car had mainly short journies as it was only used in the city. I'd say you'd be extremely unlucky to get a broken belt.

And it doesn't need a new engine if the belt breaks, head off, and probably some replacement valves at most.

Back