Technical 2008 1.2 loose strut top mount?

Currently reading:
Technical 2008 1.2 loose strut top mount?

torniojaws

And another thing I came across. As I've mentioned before, the steering on the GP has been slightly erratic in some conditions, like driving downhill on a curve. The steering feels like driving on ice, or like driving in heavy sideways wind, but only for a brief moment.

Anyway, I noticed that the top area of the struts seemed unusually "clean" and when pressing the front end down, there seems to be a bit of play on both sides, even though the strut top nuts were torqued to spec (back in November 2019). I made a short video where it is quite visible - is this a normal amount of up-down play, or should I tighten the top nut more?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOfv_eRv3uc

The amount of play is roughly the same on both sides. I presume the cleanliness is from the top disc rubber base hitting the chassis upon bigger bumps.

Last edited:
Top nuts lock the piston rod nuts nad hold the drop prevention washer. Is the car wheel off the ground in your video? Jacked up with the wheel hanging there can be a lot of movement as its the weight of the car that prevents it. don't over-tighten the piston rod nut or you can damage the top mounts and make the steering very tight. Torque figures will give the right tension on the strut bearings don't adjust randomly as this could be dangerous.

Loose feeling could be suspension arm bushes, track rod ends, ball joints or broken spring(s) as well as tyres/ pressures or wheel bearings. Also check your steering column UJ's and fixings but again follow the stated torque settings Not to difficult to check check one thing at a time and be systematic. Good luck.

Last edited:
The car is on the ground in the video.

suspension arm bushes, track rod ends, ball joints or broken spring(s) as well as tyres/ pressures
The entire control arms, tie rods (inner and outer), and springs are brand new (well, in Nov 2019), and I've filled the tires recently (brand new tubes with balancing done), and a full 4-wheel alignment was done by a garage.

Last edited:
The car is on the ground in the video.

The entire control arms, tie rods (inner and outer), and springs are brand new (well, in Nov 2019), and I've filled the tires recently (brand new tubes with balancing done), and a full 4-wheel alignment was done by a garage.
From video it appears the rubber parts of the top mounts have degraded , this allows too much vertical movement of the damper rod before it starts damping.

That would be quite something, as they were replaced with brand new parts in November 2019, too. Both the top mount and the spring plate. Perhaps a bad batch? The top mount is Lemförder and the plate is Optimal.

Last edited:
Had a second look while the steering was being turned left and right. The top on both sides is moving sideways quite noticeably, maybe about 2-3 mm (1/16 inches - 1/10 inches), so the top nuts (engine bay side) must have come loose over time. It moves slightly more on the left side.

Back