Technical Driving Grande Punto with faulty strut mount

Currently reading:
Technical Driving Grande Punto with faulty strut mount

Thanks for the reply, so more to do.
Its now loose, the spring is turning in the strut.

I tried my luck on the nut holding the shock in place with just an impact gun, but it just turned round and round, spat dirty water all over me and put the bearings on the floor.

I've put some WD40 in the nut and will now try to find the right tool to crack the last nut.

The nut is split at the top, see pic below. The thread is basically broken and blulging outwards a little, so I can't get the hex key in with any power its just rounding off.

What should I do? I was going to use a swan neck and hex key.

IMG20240115121100.jpg

Last edited:
You’ll probably be needing a new shock absorber looking at it now then. Must have been some force to split that. Didn’t you say the shocks weren’t that old as well?

You’ll probably be needing a new shock absorber looking at it now then. Must have been some force to split that. Didn’t you say the shocks weren’t that old as well?
I bought this car a few months ago, so I didn't get the shocks or springs put on myself. I'm guessing they are two years old, based upon the MOT saying a spring failed two years ago, and the springs general condition which doesn't look terrible. So the shocks could be older. The mount was saturated in water so its been leaking in from somewhere.

Am I going to need shocks on both sides in this case?

Last edited:
That’s your decision really, again as I said before depends on your circumstances e.g cost etc and amount of mileage, is it just a work car? Family car? you’ve got to weigh it up for yourself. You’ll find as many people say you MUST replace in pairs as those that say no. I wouldn’t unless I suspected the other side was faulty but that’s just me 🤷

That’s your decision really, again as I said before depends on your circumstances e.g cost etc and amount of mileage, is it just a work car? Family car? you’ve got to weigh it up for yourself. You’ll find as many people say you MUST replace in pairs as those that say no. I wouldn’t unless I suspected the other side was faulty but that’s just me 🤷
Ah ok, at a guess I'd say the springs being of similar age is more important than the shocks being similar, but I suppose others will disagree. Hmmm. If there is no other way around this I'll be changing this shock first and maybe see how it drives before doing the second.

I think it's a more common thing, The shock top thread on my citroen burst the same way and ended up needing to replace the shocks.

Ah ok, at a guess I'd say the springs being of similar age is more important than the shocks being similar, but I suppose others will disagree. Hmmm. If there is no other way around this I'll be changing this shock first and maybe see how it drives before doing the second.
That’s probably how i’d go about it but obviously that’s your choice

You’ll find as many people say you MUST replace in pairs as those that say no. I wouldn’t unless I suspected the other side was faulty but that’s just me 🤷
The problem with that apprach is your spurs mark the paint work when getting in and out the car :)

OK, I'd better find a new shock. They seem to be about £40 on ebay. In the mean time I'll get this shock put back on the car I suppose? I could possibly leave it off if there as a good way of securing the transmission from falling? Its currently resting on some thick books. And thanks for the help!

transmission as in gearbox? that should be bolted to the engine and safely attached the the car.

transmission as in gearbox? that should be bolted to the engine and safely attached the the car.
Its easier to post a pic. I can't leave the books out getting wet etc. I should probably find some bricks or just put the shock back on.

IMG20240115131626.jpg

Back