Technical Driving Grande Punto with faulty strut mount

Currently reading:
Technical Driving Grande Punto with faulty strut mount

I tried to get the strut back on the car, but the nut just rounded off. So i've left it like in the picture. I presume that is OK?

I'll order the new shock and angle grinder asap.

IMG20240115140328.jpg

So you mean the hub, not transmission.

I'd put a few bricks under the disk and maybe cover it with a carrier bag if it's likelty to rain.
(edit: just seen you've done that)

The new strut has arrived. I've measure it up and without installing it, I think it is the same as the one that has come off - except for the end part. I've attached a picture so you can see. The allen key hole has gone and been replaced with a shape that is two flat edges and two round edges. It will need counter sinking and so this must be held one way or another. What tool am I going to need for this?

IMG20240117120511 (1).jpg

Hi, Good luck- it’s relatively easy to do. Iv seen a spring fly out of the compressors but that was an old set!!!

Just about to do my mounts again! Seems possibly the springs have a set way of being put back- since changing last I developed a twanging sound(spring twisting). Not sure yet whether it’s the top mount that’s failed or the spring was incorrectly positioned…. Something to do with the coloured dots green and red of I remember-maybe someone will know on here???

Have you done yours, if so how did it go?

Reading the Haynes manual just now, it says springs have coloured dots on them, these dots give an indication of the length of the spring under compression. New springs might have have two green dots, one on each spring (or red dots if they are different length). If the dots are on the mounts then I'm not sure of the purpose, they've probably been added by a mechanic for an unknown purpose, because my new mount turns 360 degrees. The spring itself has a slot on the strut into which it should fit, mine wasn't in that slot.

My new angle grinder came, I bought it with discs, assuming there would be a selection of them, but they're all for grinding, so I'm now waiting for cutting discs.

The new strut came with a nut to tighten the mount to it, but not one to attach both to the car. After checking the old nut is no good so I've ordered a new nut as well.

All this waiting does make me wonder how a garage can get a car done in a single day.

All this waiting does make me wonder how a garage can get a car done in a single day.
Most here that do DIY on cars would change the struts in half a day at the side of the road.
A garage will have all the tools and car lifts that make it even easier, and probably some spare parts like nuts and so on. Experience tells them what they'll need along the way too. A proper garage should get both struts swapped in a few hours.

Last edited:
My new angle grinder came, I bought it with discs, assuming there would be a selection of them, but they're all for grinding, so I'm now waiting for cutting discs.

The new strut came with a nut to tighten the mount to it, but not one to attach both to the car. After checking the old nut is no good so I've ordered a new nut as well.

You’ll need a strimmer for the grass that’s growing round it if its parked up for much longer! 😁

Back