Technical 2008 Punto won't start after changing bulbs

Currently reading:
Technical 2008 Punto won't start after changing bulbs

I was changing two light bulbs, the brake bulb and the tail light in my 2008 Fiat Grande Punto.

Afterwards the car wouldn't start. Instead it ticks from the engine/fuse box compartment and slowly loses power. After a while the lights go out, but if I turn the ignition off and on again it gets a little power boost and the lights come back on again before fading. The rear light bulbs are now working.

The car was working just fine until I changed the bulbs, so I'm convinced it is an electrical fault not a mechanical one.

I've had this exact same ticking sound from a previous Punto but that time after the bulb was changed the car started, so I think this is a common issue.

I've tried 3 different batteries and the problem is there with all of them. I took off the fuse box in the engine compartment and can hear a solenoid ticking, it is number 15, which as far as I can tell is for an an extra heater, so probably not that important.

I got a multi-meter on the fuses, but didn't remove any of them, instead I tested them in situ. Some of them seemed to be going from 11V downwards, others were still at 0V. I'm not really sure what I'm looking for though.

Any thoughts?

I have 3 Fiat Grande Puntos, the other two are good, so I'm not sending this off to an auto electrician, I'll track the problem down myself, sooner or later...

Hi, thanks for the reply. Since posting this thread I read the one below;

And recalled I do have a severed electrical cable on the gearbox. I bought it like that and have driven it like that, so thought nothing of it. I'm not wholly sure where the other end goes, but now I'm guessing it is an earth cable. Its too dark to have another look now but will be on it tomorrow!

So it was the severed cable! And the car started! Happy days! I must have lost some charge when changing the bulbs. The front sidelight bulb has now blown, the front bulb housing gets very sweaty, can't win eh? *Wonders why he has 3 Grande Puntos* :)

So it was the severed cable! And the car started! Happy days! I must have lost some charge when changing the bulbs. The front sidelight bulb has now blown, the front bulb housing gets very sweaty, can't win eh? *Wonders why he has 3 Grande Puntos* :)

Glad the GUIDES on here have helped you 👍

You will notice 3 colours to my GP collection in the GUIDES

And a 2012 😎

Back