Technical 169 Multijet Intermittent Hard Starting

Currently reading:
Technical 169 Multijet Intermittent Hard Starting

Try taking off the fuel pressure regulator on the right hand end of the fuel rail. There is a tiny rubber o-ring that can eventually split and allow fuel to seep past back to the tank.

I had an issue where it would crank over totally fine, but not start, randomly hot or cold.

With a bit of easystart (I know 😒) it would fire up and drive fine.

Long story short, it was the o-ring in the regulator. Fuel pressure wasn't getting quite high enough to fire the injectors while cranking......but once started, the pressure was so high it overcame the amount being lost.

As a point of reference, with a new regulator fitted, the fuel rail was around 6000psi at idle.

I'm going to give up on this and put it down to a tank of bad fuel or a gypsy put a curse on it or something...
No further problems, the garage found nothing during a recent service when I asked him to look at the system, check pressures etc.
The nearest suggestion, I think, is Cinq999 above, so that's the first thing I'll look at if it recurs.
Should I leave the thread open in case anyone else has similar problems, or close it?
Many thanks to all who tried to help, this place is a great resource 👍

My 100HP was laid up during lockdowns then flat refused to start. Battery was good, hot wires proved the fuel pump was good. I checked all fuses with test meter and magnifying glass all good. I tried MultiECUScan but struggled to get it to connect so assumed a computer fault.
I then thought about relays. They all clicked with a 9V battery. I swapped headlights really with the body computer (both use the same) and it started.
Long story but the BC was not getting power so no engine start. That also explained why MES acted up. It’s been fine ever since.
So swap your relays about and see if anything changes. It’s a long shot but well worth a two minute check.

Back