General Just joined 169 owner , 05 , 4x4

Currently reading:
General Just joined 169 owner , 05 , 4x4

Rocking robin

Can someone suggest a set of rear shocks for my 05 4x4 please , I don’t go off road so this may help to suggest correct ones , in the future I do plan to tackle some green lanes etc

Be careful ordering parts for the 4x4

The shocks and springs are unique

Often sellers sell standard 1.1 and 1.2 parts as compatible for the 4x4

They do fit, people have fitted them, the car will not ride, handle as expected

These are the parts for the earler 1 2 4x4

I few years ago, autodoc were selling the wrong length standard springs as fitting the 4x4 and were several months after being told,

Screenshot_20240301_090218.jpg

Screenshot_20240301_090010.jpg

There's a chance the 13D and 4x4 are the same I haven't checked

For green Laning the bottom of the catalytic converter is very low and exposed

It seems a sump guard and a 2cm spacer lifts is the prefered option. On standard springs and shocks

Magneti Marelli and Monroe both good

Last edited:
I’ve bought the magnetti ones from shop for parts . The guy was very helpful in procuring the correct ones and delivery was next day …… just a note my car when I bought it had only 23k miles that is on a 2005 model . I’m loving the ownership it is truly suited to where I live , Kernow , has anyone had a remap ? And if so was it worth it and what were the gains if any …..Celtic remaps in Cornwall suggest some moderate gains .

Diesel or petrol

I doubt there is anything to be gained from a remap on the petrol

If you look at the power curve standard engine, BHP and torque are already falling off a cliff as the revs rise

Fiat added an extra 9 BHP at the top end but it required different camshaft, compression, VVT and so on

I had the 60 bhp and 69 bhp and in day to day driving it's not noticeable, you can just about tell bouncing it off the rev limiter going down hill on a slip road

The 1.2 4x4 engine is different to the standard 1.2, it has different camshaft and throttle bodies, tuned more for lower end toque

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply’s and advice , I don’t think I will bother with remapping I’m happy to drive the car as it was intended, I’m lucky that the rear sub frame was renewed by the previous owners son , he had to get the part from Germany ? , looking at it it looks brand new .

Question which roof bars are the most useful, the ones that go from front to back or the ones that go from side to side ? Might seem a mad question but I’ve been wondering why there are two types from the factory

Hi roof bars! depends what you want to carry, side to side ones are better for frequent heavy loads as they"spread" the weight across the structure for strength and distribution of forces! if you just want the occasional light load then lateral bars and/or a roof box might be better!

@Rocking robin Sounds like you've got yourself a lovely little 4x4, ideal for Cornwall. 13 or 14 years ago, we had a 1.2 Eleganza as a runabout and just after we got it, we took it on holiday to Cornwall. Going up some of those hills was slow..
Get some pictures of it up.

Hi roof bars! depends what you want to carry, side to side ones are better for frequent heavy loads as they"spread" the weight across the structure for strength and distribution of forces! if you just want the occasional light load then lateral bars and/or a roof box might be better!
Good response , I’m thinking I will change to the bars that go from side to side , I occasionally fetch timber etc from B nQ for home projects and so far it’s been a chore to put may bars on and off …….I will go hunting for a set and probs keep the originals as a back up

@Rocking robin Sounds like you've got yourself a lovely little 4x4, ideal for Cornwall. 13 or 14 years ago, we had a 1.2 Eleganza as a runabout and just after we got it, we took it on holiday to Cornwall. Going up some of those hills was slow..
Get some pictures of it up.
I do have to prepare for on coming hills by getting my speed up , but so far I’ve not held any traffic up , traffic is fine outside of holiday season ……I have some pics of the GOAT on the sand it looks great …..I’m enjoying the forum thanks for the replies 😃

I do have to prepare for on coming hills by getting my speed up , but so far I’ve not held any traffic up , traffic is fine outside of holiday season ……I have some pics of the GOAT on the sand it looks great …..I’m enjoying the forum thanks for the replies 😃
If you are going to go up any big hills park at the bottom and wait for someone towing a caravan to come past!- 👍 tuck in behind them- cause then its there fault you are going so slow:unsure: You can also give em a toot to display your annoyance at being held up by a slow irritating driver:eek:;)😂

If you are going to go up any big hills park at the bottom and wait for someone towing a caravan to come past!- 👍 tuck in behind them- cause then its there fault you are going so slow:unsure: You can also give em a toot to display your annoyance at being held up by a slow irritating driver:eek:;)😂
I’ve had more incidents of minor road rage against me since owning my panda than any other car I’ve owned ! , I drive in accordance with speed limits etc but I’ve had so many drivers hooting horns and accelerating/overtaking me it’s crazy , I think younger drivers have not had the experience of driving a car that needs to be coaxed up to legal speed limits , only last week I had a white mercedes horn BLASTING and headlights on full beam behind me I thought I was being pulled over by a Russian mafia drug cartel 😳 ! …..I could not understand the hand gestures the angry driver was giving me , at one point they pulled along side of me and told me I wouldn’t be happy until someone got killed . They then sped off in pursuit of a fictitious Bond villain ……..” me I’m happy with 60bhp “

I’ve had more incidents of minor road rage against me since owning my panda than any other car I’ve owned ! , I drive in accordance with speed limits etc but I’ve had so many drivers hooting horns and accelerating/overtaking me it’s crazy , I think younger drivers have not had the experience of driving a car that needs to be coaxed up to legal speed limits , only last week I had a white mercedes horn BLASTING and headlights on full beam behind me I thought I was being pulled over by a Russian mafia drug cartel 😳 ! …..I could not understand the hand gestures the angry driver was giving me , at one point they pulled along side of me and told me I wouldn’t be happy until someone got killed . They then sped off in pursuit of a fictitious Bond villain ……..” me I’m happy with 60bhp “
I wish i knew what these c**T,s do with the 5 minutes a day they save by being complete F**kwits to the rest of us!- a lot of younger inexpereanced folk have found to there cost that the most effective brakes are often a tree, a wall ,or another car!- a case of dont live and learn!.
Plus with all the aids fitted to newer cars that do all the hard stuff for them abs/ esp. abs/ tc/ lane assist etc etc they have not really learnt to DRIVE!!! more just aim the bloody car and hope!(it wont happen to me!) but it does! might be a case of Darwin in action!.

Back