General 1.2 or JTD - which is better?

Currently reading:
General 1.2 or JTD - which is better?

If your only pootering around the city then a diesel might not be right for you! Diesels need a good hard run every now and then to keep them running well.

Nothing wrong with a high milage car, any make or model, servicing and maintenance is the key!

So far in just over 6 years I've replaced very few parts (other than typical service items like tyres and front brakes) all thats been replaced is 2 drop links, 2 springs (now that was annoying but not un-typical these days of speedbumps on speedbumps), and an exhaust!

personally I have my service done every 6,000miles

and Dayco say cambelts must be done every 36,000miles but it's up to you really as fiat say every 72000miles

Steven is right, sorry, its 72000miles of 5 years!

I got mine done at 5 years! D'oh!

I personally think servicing at 6000miles is pointless, if your just getting an oil change its better to invest in a decent oil that doesn't need replacing after 6000miles, and if the oil does need replacing then there is likely to be more critial underlying issues.

Mind you its each to their own. You'll find the 1.2 cheaper to service than the JTD in general, but thats just because of items like the Diesel Fuel filter being factored into the costs.

Steven is right, sorry, its 72000miles of 5 years!

I got mine done at 5 years! D'oh!

I personally think servicing at 6000miles is pointless, if your just getting an oil change its better to invest in a decent oil that doesn't need replacing after 6000miles, and if the oil does need replacing then there is likely to be more critial underlying issues.

Mind you its each to their own. You'll find the 1.2 cheaper to service than the JTD in general, but thats just because of items like the Diesel Fuel filter being factored into the costs.

I only do it because that is how I like it and I am using the good stuff as well. See I do a lot of miles in my beast and have found that by servicing her as regularly as I do she has been perfoming very well indeed but as I said earlier it's a personal choice not a recomendation.

And I agree with you servicing on a 1.2 doesn't cost that much £50 for oil, plugs, air filter and oil filter for me.

Remember typical servicing won't need plugs doing. ;) Oil, oil filter, check air filter and replace if necessary.

Plus should be good for 75000miles these days, I can't remember for sure but i'm sure its about then that they recommend being changed by service manual.

Its all personal pref, but I prefer to follow the service manual, as I don't doubt manufacturers er on the safe side anyway.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
I would like the torque of the JTD though, but still can't bring myself to get a diesel. Just not really driven one I like, though never driven a Stilo diesel :eek:

Don't worry about today's diesels. I used to have a 1.9TDI Audi A4 "only" 130 bhp in a heavy car but not much could touch it. The V6 must be stunning.

My brother has a 1999 Alfa 156 2.4 JTD thats chipped to 180bhp. Its something else and sounds like an offshore power boat. Cant have an Alfa with a boring engine note can we. :D

The thing with diesels is the high price and the fuel isnt cheap so while they do cost less to run it's not as much as it should be. Ride the the mid range torque and love it. Rev the wotsits off (like Clarkson does) and the power's all gone. That's largely why Sabine Shmitt could so easily beat him on the Nurburgring in that diesel Jag.

Don't worry about today's diesels. I used to have a 1.9TDI Audi A4 "only" 130 bhp in a heavy car but not much could touch it. The V6 must be stunning.

My brother has a 1999 Alfa 156 2.4 JTD thats chipped to 180bhp. Its something else and sounds like an offshore power boat. Cant have an Alfa with a boring engine note can we. :D

The thing with diesels is the high price and the fuel isnt cheap so while they do cost less to run it's not as much as it should be. Ride the the mid range torque and love it. Rev the wotsits off (like Clarkson does) and the power's all gone. That's largely why Sabine Shmitt could so easily beat him on the Nurburgring in that diesel Jag.

Petrol costs more than diesel :confused: But I agree with everything else you've written!

Last edited:

Same price as petrol around here where I live, cheaper at some garages :confused:

A diesel is a good prospect for a high mileage driver factoring in the better fuel economy against the initial new purchase cost.

You just drive a diesel between 1,500 RPM & 4,000 RPM max, simple really, all the grunt you need at low revs (y)

You just drive a diesel between 1,500 RPM & 4,000 RPM max, simple really, all the grunt you need at low revs (y)

Steady Freddy.... 4000rpm, thats the red line lol! I think most power is available between 1500 and 2000rpm, thats why a lot of people don't like diesels because its an aquired taste driving them.

Almost everyone is brought up on Instructors cars with little petrol engines so we are used to giving them some berries to get up to speed. Although I doubt any learners go over 4000rpm either.

Another reason to not pick a diesel if you do low milage is that as the oil isn't warming with the engine you could be putting strain on the turbo.

Steady Freddy.... 4000rpm, thats the red line lol! I think most power is available between 1500 and 2000rpm, thats why a lot of people don't like diesels because its an aquired taste driving them.

Almost everyone is brought up on Instructors cars with little petrol engines so we are used to giving them some berries to get up to speed. Although I doubt any learners go over 4000rpm either.

Another reason to not pick a diesel if you do low milage is that as the oil isn't warming with the engine you could be putting strain on the turbo.

Redline is further round, maybe 4,500 or 5,000 rpm. The Croma 1.9 multijet pulls well after 5,000 rpm so who knows where it's limiter is set!

As for the oil not getting upto temp - same goes for T-jets as M-jets... don't push the turbo until there is temp in that there oil.

Maybe THATS why my EGR is still original and never been cleaned or given me grief! (y)

Back