General 1.2 or JTD - which is better?

Currently reading:
General 1.2 or JTD - which is better?

I'd give Adrian Flux a try as well. Confused.com couldn't get within £150 of my annual quote in Feb. Just for reference that the AF quote was £350 :)

Does pay to shop around though, even the comparison sites aren't as cheap as they make out.

You could also give Chris knott on here a try my other half saved substantially when going with them and giving Zurich the boot..If I am still on the road come Dec I will be going there as well and giving flux the boot..:p

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Its parked up just down the road from me ..saw it in local auto trader mag so i went down to have a look..was intrigued when they said JTD abarth in the ad..got there and realised who it had belonged to and thought..WTF was he on when he did this car..they need to remove all the crap stickers of it and get the mirror covers redone ..they might just stand a chance then of selling what was once a nice example of a stilo JTD..:( :bang:

i got bored one weekend :)

least i did things that could easily be reversed tbh :)

and it was funny when all the salesmen who knew nothing about it were asking if it was a special edition etc etc...

one of them even thought it was a fiat stylo jtd jfl :rolleyes: (was against a mondeo lmao)

Just noticed this topic.

I've had my 1.2 3-Door since 2003, 62,000miles... Never felt the car was too underpowered, yeah sometimes you might have to drop an extra gear, or give it a bit more beans out of a junction than you first planned. But that can happen to any car if some bonehead is speeding when you pull out.

Its been a cheap car to own, my insurance has always been low, fuel economy has always been good! And regardless of whats under the bonnet the 3-door stilo looks good in any guise!

As for the comment that all Stilo's weigh the same, well they don't! I made a post years ago with the exact weights of each Stilo Model, and contempararies like Focus, Golf etc! The 1.2 is the lightest Stilo in the range, the JTD MW is the heaviest!

I'd give a (y) to a 1.2 Stilo or a Jtd TBH.

Find a single owner example with service history and you can have a decent car either way. Find a pup and they will both cost you just like any make that has been neglected.

Mrs Ffoxy has a 1.2 Stilo and its a good ride, not ooomphy by any stretch of the imagination but a good car for not much money... reliability? Well I speak as I find and our 1.2 has NEVER let us down... EVER! It has had a bulb or two go, a drop-link changed, the odd air-bag warning which I have now fixed. 2 sets of tyres in 45,000 miles, a new set of front brake pads, but thats just about it... except for regular servicing at our trusted independent garage, oh and the cambelt & aux drive belt were done a few weeks back.
We had it from new in 2003, an ex-demo.
In its lifetime it has averaged 42.7 Mpg with mixed driving.

Last edited:
Yeah the key is good service history/ low milage/ number of previous ownes. You might pick up a JTD for a few hundred quid more than a 1.2 these days, but make sure the JTD doesn't have 140,000miles, with patchy service history and 5 previous owners, versus the low milage, fully services, 1 Owners 1.2.

If it comes down the price its better to buy on condition and not engine. I'd guess all Stilo's are dropping in price quite a bit now seeing as they've been out of production for a while, but that just makes them an even better bargain.... any model.

I agree with Muppet, ffoxy and stiloboy and say the 1.2 is quite decent(y) as well. I own one on a 53 plate it's ex Evans Halshaw.....She has been good to me and with a light foot she has been returning an impressive 50mpg avg.

What is this fuss about acceleration and the lot, sure it might take you a wee bit longer to get to speed but it's nothing to complain about as all the 1.4 golfs and focus will be behind you anyway @75bhp:D. On the m-way 70mph is 70mph regardless of what you are in(y)

Last edited:
Ah, didn't know that. I guess it'd be the joint development with GM that helped them get a 6 speed box capable of handling the grunt of the Multijet :)

Have found myself that the 1.2 is a fairly swift car compared to many 1.2s. Loves to be revved for sure, but also seems a lot smoother than many others I've tried. Since the suspension's been done on mine as well, it does make it a heck of a lot better. Helps me to maintain my speed on the twisty stuff, which is great...less gear changes and braking needed :D

Fiat have made perfectly competent 6 speed boxes before - The 220bhp coupé 20vt was a 6 speed box.

One of my dislikes of my Mrs's Croma is it's GM 6 speed box, nowhere near as smooth as the Fiat 6 speed in my Bravo which is likely to be similar to the 6 speed from the Stilo 150 mjet.

The reason they use a 6 speed is to maximise performance from a limited rev range. On the multijets you only need use a thousand rpm range so a 6 speed box keeps you in that range. A 6 speed on the little 1.2 and 1.4 keeps you up there in the higher revs so you don't get bogged down in the low range without the torque of the larger engines.

Hello, new guy here.

Didn't have a chance to introduce myself properly yet, I've found this forum searching for an answer for the same question as the OP.

Basically, I'm planning to view 3 Stilos:
- a 1.2, I thought it might be underpowered but this thread is convincing me otherwise,
- a 1.4 (5dr), but dear god, I don't like the 5dr look's (n) (apologies to owners, but I really don't like the 5dr).

and I've just noticed a metallic blue 1.9 JTD with 82k @ 1895pounds on Autotrader (can't post links yet). FSH, and I think the JTD would make up for the 5dr looks ;)
Is buying a 81k Stilo a good idea? Or maybe someone on here has viewed it?

I'm based in Aberdeen and will be using it for in town commuting and the occasional trip to Glasgow or Edinburgh.

What do you think?

Cheers
dyzio

ps
Foxy, nice bike, are you on the .org?

Last edited:
Well i will stick my oar in and say without a doubt Jtd, I run one and nothing has been touched on the engine apart from the egr/overboost valves.

Its negleted and abused and still returns 40-45 mpg, barely drinks any oil between infrequent changes and is a hoot to drive and can leave some interesting cars behind in the smoke:eek::eek:

Dont expect good paintwork though even more so with the solid colours as i think fiat forgot a few layers on mine, but i would still buy another.

Cheers,
Pardon my ignorance, but how often do they need servicing (oil, filters)?
And what about belts and other stuff? (sorry, first car...)

Back