General 1.2 or JTD - which is better?

Currently reading:
General 1.2 or JTD - which is better?

Scotty574

Hey there, i recently wrote of my little Sei :( and in the near futurre i am looking to buy another car, after looking around i am thinking possibly stilo. my dad currently drives 1.9 JTD and im liking them alot... i was looking at a 3dr petrol, but was wondering what engine size to go for. whether the 1.2 has not enough power or anything.

Can someone help me please :)

Thanks
-Kris-

Yes; we call all read posts in standard font thanks ;)

Both cars are an excellent choice in the sense they're both very economical and reliable.

However, if you've just written off your Sei (and it was your fault :() then I'd go for the 1.2 :)

yeah sorry about the font. i pressed the wrong button ...

well my brakes failed on a corner....

Is the 1.2 under powered??

:yeahthat:

I often wonder if the 1.4 is powerful enough in my Stilo, wouldn't want a 1.2, but if thats all your likly to be able to afford.

From what I've seen in other threads you can't afford to repair what is a repairable Sei, so looking at getting a more costly car like a Stilo etc isn't something I'd advise until finances are sorted ;)

well the reason why is because i have already spent £700 on the sei so i cant afford to repair it now.. im not looking to buy a cor for a few months but im just loking around now to see what their is to offer.

Thanks
-Kris-

depends what you want from the car etc :)

the stilo is probably going to be a little bit underpowered with the 1.2 engine..... fine if your nipping around town or using it the odd time on a motorway run.

the 1.4 or 1.6 are probably better if you travel longer distances etc.

the JTD is likely to be a bit more expensive then the petrol engines, and maybe have more miles... but this would be my engine of choice (mainly because i owned a 115 3 door model in pefect spec :p)... youl get about 50mpg with a light right foot... and 46ish with a heavy one.. its only insurance group 5 as well (y)

As above, get a 3 door JTD, they are a good all rounder :)

My advice, make sure you get one that has been looked after as certain parts do fail but those of us on the forum that use tlc seem to see less faults than others, exlcuding wear and tear obviously, LOL

well the reason why is because i have already spent £700 on the sei so i cant afford to repair it now.. im not looking to buy a cor for a few months but im just loking around now to see what their is to offer.

Thanks
-Kris-

Why not keep it for a few months until you've the money to fix. Not looking that expensive if you can do the work yourself.

As above, get a 3 door JTD, they are a good all rounder :)

Appart from all the 3-door related problems they suffer with.

1.2's not as underpowered as many make out. Yeah, it's not the greatest overtaking car, but it can easily cruise at motorway speeds without being tiring...around 3000rpm at 70 if I remember correctly in 6th gear. Plus having the smaller capacity engine makes RGZ a bit more friendly at the pumps :)

I would like the torque of the JTD though, but still can't bring myself to get a diesel. Just not really driven one I like, though never driven a Stilo diesel :eek:

Personally, I'd say test drive a few different engined one's and see what may suit you're driving style. As well as that, look up the various stats, prices and the like on a site like... http://www.wisebuyers.co.uk/ ...it'll give you an idea of the insurance groups, engine stats and specs depending on year, the latter of those changed a good deal over the years for the Stilo (y)

What problems, as in looking a hell of a lot nicer?:D

No, more BBEEEEEEPPPPPPPPP Warning Airbag Failure!!! :p

1.2's not as underpowered as many make out. Yeah, it's not the greatest overtaking car, but it can easily cruise at motorway speeds without being tiring...around 3000rpm at 70 if I remember correctly in 6th gear.

Even the 1.2 has 6 gears :confused:

Did all Stilo's have 6 :confused:

Even the 1.2 has 6 gears :confused:

Did all Stilo's have 6 :confused:

Just the 1.2 and 1.4, all others had either a 5 speed or in the case of the 2.4 a Selespeed. Well, until the later one's when they too were 5 speeds :)

Think they just wanted to give the 1.2 and 1.4 more flexibility, which meant better motorway cruising and economy. The mk2 1.2 16v Punto had 6 speeds too if I remember correctly :)

Last edited:
Just the 1.2 and 1.4, all others had either a 5 speed or in the case of the 2.4 a Selespeed. Well, until the later one's when they too were 5 speeds :)

Think they just wanted to give the 1.2 and 1.4 more flexibility, which meant better motorway cruising and economy. The mk2 1.2 16v Punto had 6 speeds too if I remember correctly :)

Oh right. I do love my 6 speed 1.4, seems a bit backwards not putting it in other Stilo's also though.

Fiat dont have a 6 speed box which can handle the power/torque of the more powerful engines so it was never fitted to them.

They only seem to fit them to cars with small engines to help acceleration ( Punto 6sp, Mk2 sporting etc), as the more powerful ones dont need it.

As for airbag failure, ive had them myself but nothing to do with the OCS - it was a wet D4 connector under the bonnet - but 5 doors have those too.

I have a 1.8 petrol and it drinks the fuel and still feels under powerd i think its a fiat thing but they are nice cars to own theres just something about them that i cant put my finger on. just go for the 1.6 i would imagin it will be as fast as mine top speed 120mph but you you will probely save on petrol :)

I have a 1.8 petrol and it drinks the fuel and still feels under powerd i think its a fiat thing but they are nice cars to own theres just something about them that i cant put my finger on. just go for the 1.6 i would imagin it will be as fast as mine top speed 120mph but you you will probely save on petrol :)

The 1.6 is also underpowered. I'd love to test an 1.8 - that would be a normal engine for a car this heavy. I don't think the 1.6 is much better economically, as I usually floor it. I don't care about fuel consumption or fuel prices, and I try to look away when I hear the sound of a diesel. :D

I have a 1.8 petrol and it drinks the fuel and still feels under powerd

that's probably because your variator (or actuating solenoid) are knackered.. my little 1.8 almost kept up with a porsche the other day (it generally out-accelerates these cars.. although only until their turbo really kicks in.. awww :ROFLMAO:) and considering i'm really heavy footed (it goes up to 7k rpm on optimax :)) and only do city driving.. 28 mpg is really rather good.. (it had an average of 45 mpg on a round trip to lake district.. a turnaround trip of just over 600 miles to 1 tank of petrol) on a serious note - 1.8 is not a ball of fire but it is a very very fun car to drive :yum:

Back