persistent whining up and down revs

Currently reading:
persistent whining up and down revs

This is driving me bonkers :cry:
i have a 2013 ducato 3 ltr 180 heavy lwb. about a year ago i developed a constant never failing whine up and down the revs and have always thought that it was the alternator but cannot without going to the garage confirm it. i have been told it may be the air con pump but has anyone any experience of this problem ?
All and any help would really be appreciated so as i can get it sorted
thanks
bibsy

i have been told it may be the air con pump but has anyone any experience of this problem ?

The air con pump is driven through an electro magnetically controlled clutch in it's front pulley. As you are driving this clutch will engage and disengage as needed depending on what the system requires. Just because the aircon switch is activated doesn't necessarily mean the pump is actually running. So, if this whine is there all the time it's probably not the pump itself - might well be the belt or an ancillary driven by it. My first inclination would be to remove the auxiliary (fan) belt, start it up and see if the noise has gone? then go on from there? Good luck!

What work have you had done recently?

Take the auxiliary belt (fan belt) off and see if the noise goes away. Dont drive too far as the battery wont be getting any charge but you wont do any harm.
If it's still noisy, check the cam (timing) belt. Damage to the teeth will whine and you know what happens when cam belts get damaged teeth. :yuck:

Back