Which Car next- Short Journeys

Currently reading:
Which Car next- Short Journeys

Hi Everyone.

Im just wondering what your opinion is on what sorta car I should get next. anyone do this sorta driving?

We cover between 10-15 miles a day but the longest journey is 1.5 miles. consisting of over 10 short journeys. which obviously kills the MPG.

With 2 kids getting rid of the car is not really an option.

The MPGS with my past cars with the driving above:
Fiat Punto 1.2 (2000) 23MPG
Honda Civic 1.6 Sport (2002) 22MPG
Focus ST170 2.0 (2004) 17MPG

We do the odd moterway journey of around 20-30 miles round trip every couple of weeks, and long motorway journeys every few months where we get about 29MPG on the ST.

Need something of a similar size to the Focus, could do a little smaller, prefer hatchback, and a budget of around 2500.

And is it at all possible to have something thats as fun to drive lol.

Thanks in advance

2003 - 2006 fiat punto 1.9 JTD eleganza, or equivalent stilo fits the budget great fuel economy and not fitted with a DPF like most of the newer diesels

also has probably more luxuries than the Focus should be good for 40mpg given your figures above and can be easily tweeked for a bit more power if needed

With annual milage of around 6-7000 miles Ive heard its best to avoid diesels.

Also in my exp. as there are more things to go wrong- when diesels go wrong they cost alot more to repair than petrols.

And you reckon 40+mpg with the short cold engine trips?

Cheers

Whatever you get make sure you get the oil and filter changed frequently because short trips like yours doesn't give the engine time to fully warm up.

Might be able to find a 2005 1.6 Seat Leon for under £3k. Got some style and good driving dynamics and with VW group parts. You can also find 2007 Bravo 120 TJets for around the £2.5-3k mark these days.

Last edited:
I think a very small petrol engine would make sense, petrol generally are suited to short journeys and the smaller the size the better the economy, although it depends on what sort of roads you drive on, motorways and big A roads will make a small engine a bit breathless and chew fuel. Town driving though a small petrol for sure, although if you've got a Focus ST it might feel a little slow....

Just my 2 pence.

all the arguments for a small petrol go out the window when you consider you were getting 23mpg from a 1.2 punto

also diesels tend to be much more reliable and break down less often they also tend to be not so effected by the cold weather

Thanks for you replies..

I do get very low mpg- Even when I drive grandma style I only get an extra 1-2 mpg.

Its down to short journeys on cold engine starts...

Maybe I should see if anyone with a diesel is willing to swap cars for a couple of weeks and compare mpg...

all the arguments for a small petrol go out the window when you consider you were getting 23mpg from a 1.2 punto

also diesels tend to be much more reliable and break down less often they also tend to be not so effected by the cold weather
More things to go wrong with a diesel so although they break down less often they can cost more to repair, my aunt has a diesel Merc that has repeatedly broken down from failing to start etc as she only uses it to drive to the shops and back really (about 2 or 3 miles).

So much misinformation in this post.

based on my own experience when I was driving a mile to work and university every day in freezing cold weather was still getting 50+mph in my 1.3 MJD and 40mpg in the HGT multijet neither engine got warm doing this but i had to get to work.

no car is going to like running these short distances, petrol or diesel day after day, but as long as you are aware of this then what else can you do but be prepared and make sure the car is well looked after

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Back