What's made you not grumpy but not smile either today?

Currently reading:
What's made you not grumpy but not smile either today?

Ive ended up reading 15 yeard old posts..as thats page 1 of some popular threads.
No 'go to last page' options at the top

New look forum: good (y)

Me checking at 06:40 friday.. to be told saturdays breakfast meet is less than 24 hours away..

Id better set off early... ;)

Walked out to the big garage this morning after being away for a week. Dang, it was cold in there and it's supposed to be heated. I pull the covers off the hot water heater elements and thermostats. Instantly get hit with the smell of fried electrics. Brand new upper thermostat shorted and melted some insulation on two of the wires. Luckily, the circuit breaker did it's job and killed the power before a fire started.

I put the old thermostat back in place and it's working. Looks like this was a case of if it's not broke, don't fix it.

Filled the car up....fuel has gone down by 1 whole penny a litre. Oh yeah....

Only 1.62 a litre for Vpower now bargain.

Rather glad I got rid of of the Mazda tbh..it was costing about 80 quid per month in fuel at the old prices..plus I'd usually end up sticking a tank in the C3 as well.

Currently putting 120 quid a month into the C3 for all driving at the current fuel prices. 45mpg on bad day and easily attainable mid 50s and occasional 60s is significantly cheaper than 33mpg on a bad day and 40 odd if you babied it.

Theories:
Your neighbor is growing weed, big time, and somebody tipped the fuzz.
Russian spy aircraft was hit by AAM and the administration is not sure what to do with the news.
Somebody found enormous Celtic funeral ground complete with the sword of Asterix and the cops are afraid the ghost of Obelix would come to collect it.
A person with a metal detector found unexploded 500-lb German WWII bomb instead of the sword mentioned above.
Or someone escaped form the local caravan park being used for suspected Covid perps.

A friend of the wife has gifted us a barely used bike for the little un with the words "they tried it a bit and never used it since, and have now grown out of it". Also "it seems a bit stiff so might need oiling as it's stood around for so long"

I've had a look at it, Whoever set the front brake up didn't understand caliper brakes so it's been nearly full on. 30 seconds with a spanner and it's rolling freely. There's no evidence on the cable to say it was ever tightened up anywhere else and the adjusters will need some wd40 and pliers to move...so would appear it's been like that since day one.

Feel rather bad for them as any child getting on to it would have had to pedal against the brakes...so would have probably decided not to bother quickly.

Son loves it though..it's got dinosaurs on it so winner. Shame someone else missed out on it though.

A friend of the wife has gifted us a barely used bike for the little un with the words "they tried it a bit and never used it since, and have now grown out of it". Also "it seems a bit stiff so might need oiling as it's stood around for so long"

I've had a look at it, Whoever set the front brake up didn't understand caliper brakes so it's been nearly full on. 30 seconds with a spanner and it's rolling freely. There's no evidence on the cable to say it was ever tightened up anywhere else and the adjusters will need some wd40 and pliers to move...so would appear it's been like that since day one.

Feel rather bad for them as any child getting on to it would have had to pedal against the brakes...so would have probably decided not to bother quickly.

Son loves it though..it's got dinosaurs on it so winner. Shame someone else missed out on it though.
I’m always amazed how little amount of even basic mechanical skills/DIY skills that most people have.

I know people who have called in a Handy man to replace a light bulb….
I also worked with very highly skilled PHD qualified Doctors of engineering, who could not change a flat tyre…

A heavy frost outside, and some rear brake discs for the Fabia need fitting.
Going back to your AA days, what were your thoughts of the 2008-2017 fiesta driving experience? My mate recently had the misfortune of having to borrow his mum's example whilst his Brera was having its clogged DPF sorted, and he hated basically everything about it! I don't know how much of the experience is due to it being a typical crap ford, and how much is due to that particular example being high mileage?

Has the app been deleted? I can't see it on Google play anywhere?
Yup - we use an integrated PWA (Progressive Web App) now.

To install it, when browsing the forum on mobile, allow push notifications if it asks you, then at the very bottom of the hamburger menu, click the "Install the app" button.

1639420184847.png

I've never known anyone like a borrowed car forced upon them by a mechanical failure or crash unless their normal car is an absolute turd.

As I stopped a friend of mine many years ago who was delivering a critique of my Uno many years ago as I give him a lift back from the garage..."Unlike your car...it runs".

But in general, I try and be open minded these days with other cars or at least try and judge them in context as he's comparing something that will have listed at twice the price of the Fiesta. Any supermini of the era will be a comedown...and I'm sure his mindset will be improved by the prospect of a nice big bill for the Brera upcoming as well.

Not necessarily a fan of the Fiesta...and seem to recall PB wasn't either but there's a difference between the thoughts of someone slumming it for a week or 2 and someone who's lived with a car day in, day out.

Generally someone who has literally 0 investment in a car, and just wants theirs back will hate whatever they are given unless it's significantly nicer.

I survived the week at my employers US HQ in South Carolina. We were visited by the international CEO, and her lackeys. Two of whom are new and apparently know who I am, though I don't know them. (That's something that has always bothered me)I've spent enough time in the corporate world of cube farms that if the international HR shows up on location, someone's desk is being cleaned out. It was true this time, too. It was the CEO. He was given a year to get things turned around yet did squat. So, bye bye. The senior people, myself included, felt the guy was just a grifter.

Back