What's made you not grumpy but not smile either today?

Currently reading:
What's made you not grumpy but not smile either today?

More white stuff falling from the sky this morning. At least it's powder and not the heavy wet crap. If it wasn't garbage day, I probably wouldn't had bothered clearing my driveway until later today.

Late yesterday one of my friends, Bob "the welder" - handy man to have as a friend, knocked on my door and said "help, my car won't start". He has a wee mk1 '07 plate Honda Jazz, one of 4 MK1 Jazz's which I run into from time to time. So I grabbed my multimeter and off we went into the next street where he lives. As we walked he told me they'd just been out doing the weekly shop. When they returned he turned the engine off while they took the shopping into the house and while his Mrs put the shopping away he came back out to move the car into his garage but it wouldn't start.

I asked him to try starting it and it behaved like a classic flat battery demo. a slow grind over compression on one cylinder and then the solenoid started chattering. Ok, let's see what the battery volts is. Oh, 12.5 approx. I would have thought it should kick over on that? Loose terminals? No, all nice and tight but I slackened them anyway and gave them a good "twist" before retightening them. Then I put the meter across the battery terminals again - directly on the posts because I want to monitor the battery without having to "worry" about poor connections at the terminals and 12.5 volts are still there. Keeping the probes on the posts I got him to operate the starter and, shock horror, the volts slump back to 5.8 volts!

So what's going on? I suspect there's an internal cell or connector problem. Whatever it is it's not going to be easily "fixable" so new battery needed. However let's just check if the alternator is charging. So I nipped back home and loaded my very large (ex diesel) 12 volt battery onto my sack barrow and slung my jump leads over my shoulder, to the amusement of the neighbours, trundled it up the street and round the corner. Actually they don't mind me doing this sort of thing as, over the years, most of them have benefited from me being able to help them with their cars.

One thing worth knowing about Hondas is that if you are mucking about with their batteries in any way, especially if there is to be an interruption to the electrical supply, you must not have the ignition key in the ignition switch barrel otherwise the communication between the key and the car's immobilizer can be corrupted and that would mean an expensive visit to the dealer to reprogram it all. So, having checked Bob has the key in his pocket I connect up the jump battery. This is "old tech" on this vehicle so you could connect directly battery to battery but I know this battery has been stressed by our attempts to start the car so it's likely there may have been gassing and I don't want any explosions so I connect pos to pos on both batteries then neg on the slave battery to engine block on the Jazz. For those who don't know, if you do it this way and get a spark as you make the last connection to the engine block then that spark isn't going to have the opportunity to ignite the gasses being given off by the stressed battery - as it might if you connect to the neg terminal on the battery. It's also good practice to let the batteries equalize for a few minutes after making this connection before trying the starter.

Ok, a few minutes have passed so I put the meter probes back on the Jazz's battery and am not surprised to see 12.7 volts (same as my big slave) Then I get Bob to sit in the car and start it up. The starter spins vigorously and she bursts into life! Looking at the multimeter and it's showing 14.7 volts. Lovely jubbly, just what you would expect to see from a healthy alternator.

So the car needs a new battery without doubt. I offered to go with him down to Halfords where we could use my trade card to get him a wee extra discount (maybe not so wee as if you buy actual Halfords branded goods the discounts are quite healthy). But, for some reason known only to him, he says he wants to get it from the wee garage that does his servicing. That's fine, makes no difference to me and I want to stay friends with him, so I don't push the point, but I think he'll probably pay more.

So I was actually feeling quite pleased (smile) with myself over this. This morning he arrived on the door step - his mechanic can "do" the battery right away if he can take the car to him right now, so can I jump it again for him? Absolutely, in fact he's caught me with my mucky gsrdening clothes on because I'm sorting a fence post which got snapped off in the gales, so it's just a quick nip up the street with the battery, connect the leads and Brrrum, he's ready to go. So I'm now coiling up my jump leads and he gets ready to depart. But oh dear, as he selects gear - the car has a CVT gearbox - there is a dry sort of "scrunching" noise and as he starts to move off there is a strange, not very loud, grindy rubbing noise which disappears as soon as the car starts rolling. That doesn't sound good! (so that's the grumpy bit) Think I'll just keep my head down though as I doubt if there's anything I could do about it!

A friend of mine found a pothole and destroyed a brand new tyre.

To add insult to injury..the car has no spare and he has no breakdown cover.

He's had to drag it home on 3 wheels, possibly doing further damage.

One of those moments where you both commiserate and quietly think "this is why when you mock the balloon tyres and 4x4 ride height of my car...I take no flipping notice."

Following that he's going to have to take the wheel on its own to a tyre shop to get sorted. Leaving the thing propped up in a public place...lovely.

Mobile tyre fitters are a thing, I always get a mobile guy out to do mine
Local tyre depots can be 'instant', whereas mobile fitters tend to need a few days notice. Not good if you have only one vehicle, and need it.
Driving school vehicles tend to sustain damage to sidewalls more than punctures, so a sealant kit won't work. When Ford deleted the spare from the Fiesta, making it a cost option, AA Driving School management failed to realise that this was a bad idea, and accepted it. Instructors were told to use Kwik-Fit Mobile, and ignored our protests that this was an appointment service, not an emergency service. We endured this for two years, during which time many instructors had cancelled lessons, and tests. I got hold of a spare wheel and toolkit, and used it twice in two years. (Still have it, must get rid sometime)

Local tyre depots can be 'instant', whereas mobile fitters tend to need a few days notice. Not good if you have only one vehicle, and need it.
Driving school vehicles tend to sustain damage to sidewalls more than punctures, so a sealant kit won't work. When Ford deleted the spare from the Fiesta, making it a cost option, AA Driving School management failed to realise that this was a bad idea, and accepted it. Instructors were told to use Kwik-Fit Mobile, and ignored our protests that this was an appointment service, not an emergency service. We endured this for two years, during which time many instructors had cancelled lessons, and tests. I got hold of a spare wheel and toolkit, and used it twice in two years. (Still have it, must get rid sometime)
Oddly enough..this lad has a Fiesta on which no one ticked the spare wheel option.

Always the way of these things...if you wanted it fixed today you really should have booked in 2 weeks ago.

Always a Friday night...or before or during Christmas/easter/summer holidays.

Oddly enough..this lad has a Fiesta on which no one ticked the spare wheel option.

Always the way of these things...if you wanted it fixed today you really should have booked in 2 weeks ago.

Always a Friday night...or before or during Christmas/easter/summer holidays.
I guess he's near you, so a long way away from me.
I have no use for the wheel, or its toolkit, but getting it to you is probably more expensive than buying one locally.
Mine is for the 'current' Fiesta. It is an alloy wheel, taken from a car that the owner had kerbed all four wheels, so her husband bought a new full set. (So she could do it again) It is damaged, but usable. Might set up a vibration at higher speeds. Tyre is abut half-worn. Works as a spare, for reduced speeds, and short timescales. Free to anyone who wants it, but 'buyer' collects, unless they're near wherever I'm going.

Ah, now that explains it. Earlier in this thread I posted about my friend - Bob the welder - and his non starting Jazz. It was not difficult to diagnose a failed battery and, as I mentioned above, I offered to go with him to Halfords where we could use my card to get him a discount on a new battery but he declined saying he would take it to his mechanic. I was a little puzzled at this because I would guess he'd be charged a goodly price for the battery and maybe a bit for fitting it too.

Anyway, this morning he knocked on my door to thank me for jump starting his car and suggesting he needed a new battery. "You were quite right, it was the battery, he fitted a new one for me and it's all going fine now". Reading between the lines I'd guess he wasn't altogether sure of my diagnosis and needed the reassurance of his mechanic. maybe I'll be able to save him some cash next time? As he was leaving he gave me a thank you card and a big bar of rum and raisin chocolate - yum yum, very nice, thanks Bob!

Had a plan to take my son along to nursery, go for a nice 10k run and chill while my wife sleeps off nights..for a nice long weekend finish.

Instead it's raining the great flood and I'm full of cold as is he...

So drove him along to nursery (I'm a terrible person as it's literally half a mile) then down to the pharmacy for all the cold and flu medicine.

Oh well, pleasant slow wander and listen to Sniff..as Smith is off this week. Followed by lying on the couch until 3...seems a waste of a day off.

10pm last night, cat had eaten and was demanding to go out. Perfectly serviceable cat flap, btu if i'm around she needs the door to be opened. (Dogs have owners, cats have slaves)
Opened the door, and there were two tiny eyes looking up at me. A toad. No idea whyit was there, as if waiting to be let in.
Luckily, cat hopped over it, apparently not noticing. 45 minutes later, when cat returned, also thankfully no toad brought in, no evidence of having found it.
It's not there this morning, so hopefully it found its way to a better spot. They eat slugs and snails, so nice to have around, just don't use any slug poison, or you'll kill the toads too.

Fuel gauge in our recently acquired 500 doesnt behave like other FIATs we own..

Been parked.up for a few days.. no recollection of it being 'low'

Threw in @4 litres from a can..as I had a 110 mile trip in the morning..
(Just starting to pour with rain..so the car cabin stayed locked)

Come the morning : Range 45 miles..

Up hill and down dale.. engine now warm Range 45.. ehh..??

Still unlikely to get me another 100 miles..
So stop and add £12.. Range 240miles..
So the 120 I just added and the 120 that was already onboard :-(

Ive noticed over the last couple of months though a high number of filling stations CLOSED ..having their tanks changed

Im thinking either.. Covid restrictions and lack of use-maintenance has killed them..

OR Ethanol is NOT their friend

What do you think?

Ive noticed over the last couple of months though a high number of filling stations CLOSED ..having their tanks changed

Im thinking either.. Covid restrictions and lack of use-maintenance has killed them..

OR Ethanol is NOT their friend

What do you think?
The range is not based entirely on the contents of the tank, but a calculation from the last 4 minutes of travel, against the tank contents. Your trip to the fuel station appears to have been more economical than the last few miles home, so the updated range calculated the same as before you left. It may have been about to increase the range, just before you stopped, so adding more then gave the new calculation.
I usually fill up when leaving Swindon after a shopping trip. The trundle around town gives poor range, then filling up before the better A-road 12 miles home will almost always show an increasing range all the way, appearing to be filling the tank instead of using fuel.
Often, if the car has been used for short trips around home, a trip to Swindon and back will end with greater range than before I started. A free trip to Swindon. (Not a prize worth striving for)
(A few years ago, a group of instructors were discussing the best view of Swindon, choosing between the various hills around. I suggested the best view was in the mirror.)

This is the level of confusion of the trip computer in the C3..this morning after my wife bringing it back from work at full bore as per.

20220305_104228.jpg

After I'd been out for the day with the little un..notice mileage +51 and actual fuel gauge lower.

20220305_164837.jpg

My son...continuing to prove he is both more advanced than is immediately apparent and a little ****.

So during the day he is apparently basically potty trained, odd accident here and there but normally take him out all day and as long as you don't expect him to go 4 hours without a trip to the loo you're golden (or not golden..)

At night though we put him in his room with a potty and each morning potty is empty and his overnight training pants are wet. Now standard advice on this is wait until they are dry over night so we weren't pushing it.

Last night we were both knackered and the bedtime routine was out the window due to taking him for a haircut followed by shopping. So we forgot to put him in training pants at all just jamas.

Went in this morning not realising...right until I saw he'd used his potty. Went to check his training pants..realised he wasn't wearing any.

So he can use the damn toilet in the night..it's more convenient not to 🤣.

This is like nursery thinking he was mute and uncomprehending because he'd learned if you ignore them long enough they'll give up and you can continue doing what you want...a thing I only noticed because he tried it home.

Back