What's made you not grumpy but not smile either today?

Currently reading:
What's made you not grumpy but not smile either today?

IF YOU'RE OVER 40 (my consultant recommended that as the age you should be thinking about this) SEE YOUR G.P. AND GET YOUR PROSTATE CHECKED.

I'm in my early forties, so don't meet any of the criteria to get a test. It's difficult enough to get seen when you're ill, so I doubt I'd get a speculative test.

From the Prostrate Cancer Website:
"You have the right to a PSA test if you’re over 50 and you’ve thought carefully about the advantages and disadvantages. If you’re black or you have a family history of prostate cancer, this can increase your own risk – so you may want to speak to your GP about having a PSA test from the age of 45.

You may also be offered a PSA test if you have symptoms of a possible prostate problem"

Last edited:
I'm in my early forties, so don't meet any of the criteria to get a test. It's difficult enough to get seen when you're ill, so I doubt I'd get a speculative test.

"You have the right to a PSA test if you’re over 50 and you’ve thought carefully about the advantages and disadvantages. If you’re black or you have a family history of prostate cancer, this can increase your own risk – so you may want to speak to your GP about having a PSA test from the age of 45.

You may also be offered a PSA test if you have symptoms of a possible prostate problem"
I do think it's likely to be difficult to get a test in these "difficult times" for the NHS, but I don't think that should put men off considering if they have either suspect symptoms or a family history - as I have -which might indicate increased risk, I'm not suggesting a blanket approach to this though. ie. testing when no symptoms or history would indicate it. Initial symptoms are often very slight and easy to ignore. Having you'r Doc do a simple examination is quick, even if it's slightly uncomfortable and, for some, embarrassing. - been in and out of hospital often enough to now have no embarrassment about being poked about without my clothes on and in places that normally don't see the light of day! - It would seem that a lot can be done to help if problems are found early (as with so many cancers) and become much more problematic if you ignore things. I know my situation now and take medication which is very helpful with the reassurance that continued testing will be likely to allow timely intervention if things "kick off" in future. Had my brother taken the test and not ignored his symptoms I'm convinced he would have been in a much better place than he is today.

In the final analysis though we all have to make our own decisions and lead our own lives as we see fit so I'm not judging those who choose not to test, just saying, if there's indicators, you'd be wise to consider it?

Last edited:
Halfords
Bought a cordless tyre inflater in June and the valve connector has failed. When I went for the electronic receipt it wasn't there. After 50 miles of tooing and froing to the local branches and 2.5hrs on the phone they declare they sent it to me at gmail.com. My email is email.com and I remember correcting them about 4 times at the time. Finally I have a promise of a new one and a copy of the e receipt..... but that wont arrive till 24hrs after the email was sent to me??????? WE HOPE.

Moral is don't accept electronic receipts and don't ever use Halfords for anything other than disposable items when all the other outlets are closed.

AT least all the Halfords staf, without exception, were very helpful and polite.

If I had bought this from an internet supplier via paypal it would have been remedied within 24hrs me thinks, and the extra cost on this rare occasion when Halfords were the cheapest I could find anywhere in the UK would have been worth it. I stand at about £15 out of pocket as well as not smiling and not being happy It will be a very very long time before I relent on Halfords again!

As Jock pointed out. Unless you have a specific reason to think you’re having problems/symptoms then under 50 you don’t really need to be rushing to the gp for tests. But you can talk to you dr about your concerns if you are worried.

As Jock pointed out. Unless you have a specific reason to think you’re having problems/symptoms then under 50 you don’t really need to be rushing to the GP for tests. But you can talk to you dr about your concerns if you are worried.

Nearly 2 years ago I went to see a GP in person because I had reason to be concerned about my prostate. He was superb - arranged a PSA test and once the result came back he arranged for me to have an MRI on my prostate and to see a consultant at the hospital.
At that stage things got a bit out of synch in that the MRI appointment came through before I saw the consultant. So by the time I saw the consultant he seemed to be a bit miffed that I had been scanned before he had had chance to stick his fingers in to the situation. He seemed to think it was my fault. He had the bedside manner of an angry builder and I swear he put a boxing glove on rather than a latex one.
Anyway - the upshot at the time was "enlarged" but not nothing to worry about for now - come back in 6 months. Good news!
Then covid happened. So nothing happened if you know what I mean.
So a few months in to covid I did something to my knee - Baker's Cyst seems to be the diagnosis (by telephone and pictures of course. Could have been an infection I suppose but there we go). So painful, but not deperately urgent. I was talked out of being treated. But whilst I was on the phone I raised the question of my prostate. By now I had a new GP as my nominated GP had retired (although she didn't seem very old to me). This is not the one I saw originally. I suppose when you have a Maserati Ghibli and a holiday home in the country you want time to enjoy them right? Fair enough.
So I mention my prostate to this new GP who of course has never met me and he says " ah yes - I can see that here. What about it?" So I suggested a new PSA might be in order.
"Good idea" he says. "Arrange one yourself!"
So I did.
And after 2 weeks I hadn't heard anything so I rang up and after hanging on the phone for ages I was answered by somebody who sounded about 12.
I said I wanted to discuss my PSA result.
So she had a look and said literally " I have got 3 numbers here" and read them out to me. She had no idea what the numbers meant of course.
She said "can you remember what it was before?" As I had it on a letter I could tell her.
"O'h that's alright then, because these numbers are lower! Is that all? Bye."
I rang my sister in law who is a retired doctor and she said there was no way the receptionist should just be dealing with it like that with no offer of a referral to the GP.
So sorry this was long-winded but this seems to be the way our surgery works now. DIY/NHS.

As Jock pointed out. Unless you have a specific reason to think you’re having problems/symptoms then under 50 you don’t really need to be rushing to the GP for tests. But you can talk to you dr about your concerns if you are worried.

Nearly 2 years ago I went to see a GP in person because I had reason to be concerned about my prostate. He was superb - arranged a PSA test and once the result came back he arranged for me to have an MRI on my prostate and to see consultant at the hospital.
At that stage things got a bit out of synch in that the MRI appointment came through before I saw the consultant. So by the time I saw the consultant he seemed to be a bit miffed that I had been scanned before he had had chance to stick his fingers in to the situation. I seemed to think it was my fault. He had the bedside manner of an angry builder and I swear he put a boxing glove on rather than a latex one.
Anyway - the upshot at the time was "enlarged" but not nothing to worry about for now - come back in 6 months. Good news!
Then covid happened. So nothing happened if you know what I mean.
So a few months in to covid I did something to my knee - Baker's Cyst seems to be the diagnosis (by telephone and pictures). So painful,but not deperately urgent. I was talked out of being treated. But whilst I was on the phone I raised the question of my prostate. By now I had a new GP as my nominated GP had retired (although she didn't seem very old to me). I suppose when you have a Maserati Ghibli and a holiday home in the country you want to use them right?
So I mention my prostate to this new GP who of course has never met me and he says " ah yes - I can see that here. What about it?" So I suggested a new PSA might be in order.
"Good idea" he says. Arrange yourself one.
So I did.
And after 2 weeks I hadn't heard anything so I rang up and after hanging on the phone for ages I was answered by somebody who sounded about 12.
I said I wanted to discuss my PSA result.
So she had a look and said literally " I have got 3 numbers here" and read them out to me.
She said "can you remember what it was before?" As I had it on a letter I could tell her.
"O'h that's alright then, because these numbers are lower! Is that all? Bye."
I rang my sister in law who is a retired doctor and she said there was no way the receptionist should just be dealing with it like that with no offer of a referral to the GP.
So sorry this was long-winded but this seems to be the way our surgery works now. DIY/NHS.

Sorry for the double post folks.

I read it through, truth is as we get older it’s not uncommon for the prostate to get larger and as a result some symptoms might occur, also a PSA test can be higher that normal for a variety of reasons, but it’s still worth getting it checked out because if not then you could miss something bad going on. But you don’t take the car to the mechanic for them to tell you if the clutch is worn you take it once the symptoms show. Over 50 it’s worth getting things check out, under 50 you needn’t panic.

As for your gp sounds like they were good then became terrible over night, I agree no way a receptionist should be reading out results and telling you everything is fine because the numbers are “lower” I’d be taking that up with the practice manager

I have regular PSA tests and it seems that my doctor checks the result when it comes back to them and leaves a note for the reception staff who then relay that to me when I ring up. So far it's been that no further action is required at this time but I have to ask for the actual number itself, they don't volunteer it.

I read it through, truth is as we get older it’s not uncommon for the prostate to get larger and as a result some symptoms might occur, also a PSA test can be higher that normal for a variety of reasons, but it’s still worth getting it checked out because if not then you could miss something bad going on. But you don’t take the car to the mechanic for them to tell you if the clutch is worn you take it once the symptoms show. Over 50 it’s worth getting things check out, under 50 you needn’t panic.

As for your gp sounds like they were good then became terrible over night, I agree no way a receptionist should be reading out results and telling you everything is fine because the numbers are “lower” I’d be taking that up with the practice manager

The first GP I saw is still there, and he is very thorough and professional.
But I was on the list of the senior partner (the one with teh Maserati of course!) and since she has taken retirement I now seem to be at the mercy of whoever is available. Which is a big step backwards for me.

Halloween seems to have passed reasonably quietly again, covid presumably still keeping people away from others' front doors.

I hate 'trick or treat'. To me, this is just extortion. Give us sweets, or we'll play a prank on you, or worse. If I threatened anyone in such a way, I'd get arrested, rightly so. So at what age does this become acceptable? Any kid old enough to be out without parents, should be accountable to the law. The younger ones arrive accompanied by parents, so that becomes a conspiracy to extort? Yet it continues.

If I stand outside a primary school, handing out sweets to children, I will either be mobbed by parents, or arrested, or both. Then once a year, those same parents will take their children to knock on strangers' doors, and demand sweets. Why is that a good idea? I bet they'd panic of anyone actually invited the children in.

Sorry, rant over, I'll go lie down again.

Personally I don't like American imports. But around my way, the "rule" is that houses with carved pumpkins are up for it. It seems to work and the kids have a good time. My elderly neighbours love it. BUT the kids are always supervised.

My daughter starts senior school next year. She will not be joining in and absolutely will not be allowed out with "friends" to upset the locals.

Car maintenance in the modern era...

20211031_164644.jpg

Except of course in the truly modern era...this would be an over the air update.

Last edited:
Personally I don't like American imports. But around my way, the "rule" is that houses with carved pumpkins are up for it. It seems to work and the kids have a good time. My elderly neighbours love it. BUT the kids are always supervised.

My daughter starts senior school next year. She will not be joining in and absolutely will not be allowed out with "friends" to upset the locals.

I agree - if you welcome the kids knocking on the door then put a carved pumpkin on view. Then if it is young kids supervised by their parents then what's the harm?
But just random knocking on doors - especially of old people by older kids is not on.
In my previous working life I attended a big supplier conference of a certain supermarket that became American owned and they were proud of the halloween "industry" they had imported here. Kept banging on about how they did it bigger and better than the others.I kept my mouth shut.

Had to buy a new iron early this year. So many choices, so many 'features', but choice mainly determined by availability.
It has a 'rubberised' finish to the handle. After 8 months, this is starting to peel, and is sticky.
I emailed the manufacturer, asking how to remove the coating, leaving me with just the hard plastic underneath, as that is preferable.
Their response was to replace the iron. but hten they found they were out of stock of that model, so asked me to choose another up to an equivalent value. Many out of stock, but eventually found one, that although slightly cheaper, might well have been a better choice, had it been available in the shops.
Yesterday (Friday) a parcel arrived. Strangely, it is the same model as my original, so stock has been found.
Then late yesterday, another email from DHL, parcel due for delivery Monday. Different 'order' number.
I imagine the cost of returning one will be more than their actual cost of the iron, as they do not want the 'faulty' one returned. Now I guess the one for Monday will be the later choice, so I get to choose which to keep, or maybe both. Once I have both, I'll email them and see what they wish to do.
Such a shame their efforts to address an issue has resulted in excess expense.
If I get to keep both, will they now outlast me? There's a worryng thought.

Had to buy a new iron early this year. So many choices, so many 'features', but choice mainly determined by availability.

It has a 'rubberised' finish to the handle. After 8 months, this is starting to peel, and is sticky.

will they now outlast me? There's a worryng thought.

Yes PB, too much choice with most things these days. Last time we were in the States we stopped at a "coffee and buns" shop whilst shopping at a mall and had to stand to one side from the main queue whilst we tried to sort out which coffee option we wanted!

Over recent years, especially with electrical goods (kettles, toasters, microwave etc), we've deliberately gone for the simplest option and found it to be not only an economic win but also generally reliable.

Rubberized finishes I go out of my way to avoid.

Old age creeping, or perhaps rushing, on? Yes. Probably a lot of the stuff we're buying now will outlast us. Will the kids want to inherit it? probably not because there's no "bells and whistles"

Being of the forumy persuasion on a Citroën group obviously.

Now there's a guy on there whose 12v socket isn't working, so usual scan of available information I.e. RTFM! Suggests it shouldn't be too hard it's all in the glovebox.

But he's looked and all he can find is the upper fusebox upon which there are 4 fuses which just cover electric windows and heated mirrors.

The lower fusebox has everything you'd actually need on it...so naturally it's missing. So thought I'd have a look as I might need it one day.

20211107_091721.jpg
Can you spot it? :ROFLMAO:

In the wider shot you can see it's covered by the wires from the pointless fusebox of 4 things..
FB_IMG_1636279136869.jpg

Now this being a French car I'm pretty sure you unclip the fusebox in the foreground (nothing is ever screwed or bolted except the driver perhaps) to get to the one in distance..otherwise top job lads.

Today's random thought of the day..what is a driving school module?

Last edited:
Non-Fiat.
The Fabia has developed a brake judder. Not every time, not when braking lightly, or really heavily, but when braking frimly.
It sits unused for much of the week, being used two or three days only each week, so plenty of opportunity for the discs to corrode in damp weather.

Front wheels off, front discs looking very scruffy. Thickness variation is all over the place, varying by 1.3mm, in one case in just one tenth of a rotation. Pads look only about a third worn, are they made of granite, or perhaps had new ones without discs sometime? I bought it with only 23k on the clock, now on 40k, so either they are original pads, wearing significantly slower than the discs, or the original owner was hard on them.

Whatever, needs a pair of discs and a set of pads for the front. There are two types, so I was armed with pics, but as the wheel came off, the caliper is cast with the type on it. Genius.

Rear discs, do less work, so more likely to corrode, are looking horrid, so that's a full set then. Bit of browsing, full set of Pagid everything, £110.07. Hopefully not raining next weekend.
Edit: As it is the 'work' car, the taxman subsidises it, like getting an extra 25% off.

Back