weird....

Currently reading:
weird....

The scenic is a totally different idea remember, you actually sit up properly in proper indivivdual seats - we needed it for 5 adults and now my dad loves the driving position so much he doesn't feel he could ever go back to anything other than a mini MPV lol. It's a 130BHP dci too as standard..... (well, unless you go for the 1.5dci)

Oh ye of little taste ;)

Just to explain further, when Renault thought of the idea of the Scenic (another market breakthrough) the gave it a double floor (giving fantastic views front and back, cubby holes etc. which didn't really exist before then) but it also meant that it was probably the first car (ignoring full MPVs) to have full indvidiaul seats, all having forward/reverse and recline motion, all totally removable etc. etc. but the best thing (and anybody who has been in a normal MPV will agree with this too, i.e. stu) is that the seats allow a proper seating position unlike "normal" cars where it is more of a lying position (obviously I have exagerated this to explain what I mean). Also the driving position int he front is higher than that of a normal car giving you better sights and as said before, as a rear passenger I can see full views unlike normal cars through the windscreen as the front seats are that bit lower. This all means that you feel more comfortable with less leg room hence it can be shorter but more comfortable. When we bought it everybody in our family was in the size of adults really and even the huge Safrane couldn't offer as much comfort despite having more leg room (IIRC).

It was car of the year and one of the best cars of the decade for a reason, look at the number of scenic, zaferas, picassos etc. on the road and that's enough to prove that the idea works.

Hmm there is room for 5 adults but I see what you mean with 5 proper seats - why don't you consider the multipla then! End of disscussing french cars anyway I'm sick of the sight of the ugly things for one night.

P.S FYI even if it is a 130hhp (and whatcar says 118hp for the 1.9TD) you can buy the bigger engined Skoda to match that and still save a couple of grand, and more mpg too and did I mention it's much much much bigger?!!.

My folks were thinking of a Picasso but they're well glad I convinced them otherwise. My main gripe with these cars is the boot is all height and no useable length. And if I recall it didn't have funny seats they were just split/fold like normal?

Last edited:
pghstochaj said:
The scenic is a totally different idea remember, you actually sit up properly in proper indivivdual seats - we needed it for 5 adults and now my dad loves the driving position so much he doesn't feel he could ever go back to anything other than a mini MPV lol. It's a 130BHP dci too as standard..... (well, unless you go for the 1.5dci)

Agreed, The Scenic is a very good car. Admittedly, I wouldnt drive one unless out of necessity (its far too practical for me!!)....The DCi is a damn good engine (I learnt in a 1500cc DCi Clio and it was great!). Id be having myself a 1397cc Clio Sport If I could insure it, it handles so much better than the Cinq, and flies for a 1.4, much better than its predecessor (1.4 Bravo) did...the only complaint I can cite is that it broke more than my Cinq did (bearing in mind the only reason my Cinq broke is because I played with some critical mechanical system incorrectly!)

Helz said:
Citroen no longer make the Saxo, it's been replaced by the C2 which is bigger but prettier.
Is that the one where the designer slipped his ruler and now the windows don't line up?!!!

Sorry, you're right about that, it's 120BHP, maybe I remembered incorrectly or the literature I read was for the future/out of date. The 1.5dci can be 80/100. I reckon my dad would be happy with 50mpg combined with a car doing 10.5 0-60 and top end of 117 considering the shape of it! Anybody would be mad NOT to buy the dci engines in the scenics, they offer better MPG, better performance AND stupidly low depriciation.

The multipla isn't to my parent's liking, nor does it offer the same comfort (same problem with the Picasso, dirt cheap but I had to sit in one once a week for 10 mins for about 3 months, I got backache each time!)

I do agree the Octavia can take 5 people, just like our Laguna can, however, it's much more comfortable in a Scenic, seriously, it's something you would have to try to believe.

I like the C2/C4 but that's it.

Guys, you know I am going to get into trouble re; french car and renault thread! lol

Oh I have been in a Scenic, in fact I've driven one. Not been in the back though. Nice car but very overpriced for what we wanted. (More boot not so worried about the rear legroom).

You've got a Laguna too!!!! Get the Octavia for that it's the same size, performance and shape but 3 grand cheaper. 2 Renaults arrrrraaaaggghhhh now you're doing my head in! You're doomed!!!

Just joking - obviously. In fact I don't want people to buy Skodas because it keeps the price down for those of us who do!

Dr_Pepper said:
You've got a Laguna too!!!!

My parents had a Laguna ages ago (2L N/A petrol)...twas fun that, would shift for a big car..I reckon it'd embarrass its replacement somewhat (Merc SUV! - drinks petrol likes its going out of fashion :eek:)

I saw an advert for a C4 earlier. I really like the looks of it. Id like one if I could afford it, but its not an option atm! :(

Just like you're a Skoda/Fiat family, we're a Renault family and have been for aslong as I can remember (except when I was really young when we had a rusting Mirrafiori (spl?) and just after that a Granada (not sure of Mk, not the last one) with a 6cylinder engine, not sure of size).

The laguna was the natural progression from one of our Ren 21s.

I doubt my parents would touch Skoda still actually and working in schools, there car looks like everybody elses (lots of teachers drive Rens IME). The laguna is only R, doubt the Octavia even existed then - also a petrol sadly.

Oh no we're not a Skoda/Fiat family by far. I'd never buy a Fiat just because it's a Fiat or any other car for that matter!

We've never been all one brand of car we always look for the best deal at the time and although we've had a lot of Fiat's over the years now I honestly wouldn't buy anything other than a skoda until the rest seriously catch up in the value for money stakes. I must confess I turned into a Skoda nut ever since dad's 1.9 turbo Octavia returned 67mpg for it's first weeks work and I've never looked back. Already lining up a Fabia to replace the (dam slow) punto in fact! I hope Steve doesn't read this!

Buy a Fiat Buy A Fiat Buy A Fiat!!

Never mind I think I get it now! I thought you were serious but now I see (I hope) you were joking!

Last edited:
Back