Weird !Tyre Tread

Currently reading:
Weird !Tyre Tread

dombooth

Staff member
Hi all,

Just been to my Grandad's to change his tyre and found something odd.

The car has just had a brake line replaced and this tyre. Took the tyre off and found this...

Is this tread normal?

Dom

Attachments

• IMG_0852[1].JPG
    IMG_0852[1].JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0853[1].JPG
    IMG_0853[1].JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0854[1].JPG
    IMG_0854[1].JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 33
little odd i suppose.. the weird curves are to force water to the outside of the tyre and off to the side. just a new pattern really. whats the make cant really read it ??

I've seen loads of tyres and never noticed one to be different each side, all the others I've seen have been simetrical.

Make is "Matrac" from what I can read.

Dom

not really a well known brand then.. it dosent really need it both sides. so its probably a money saving thing for a cheapo tyre maker. i know what you mean by most being symetrical though.

Wether it works nicely is really summed up when another car pulls out infront of you in the wet. Tests have shown the cheap tyres can be a few meters longer to stop than a better brand tyre.

from pistonheads...

View attachment Tyre Test.pdf

Troken = dry
Nass = wet
Gerausch = noise
Kraft... = fuel consumption
Verschlieb = wear rate

I've seen plenty of tyres with aysemetric patterns.

Pirelli PZero
P_ZERO_Asimmetrico.jpg

Vredestein Sessanta
Vredestein-Ultrac-SUV-Sessanta.jpg

Nope, my grandad insists that budget tyres do just as good a job as higher priced tyres.
So you are willing to risk your life based on 4 tyres that basically have a footprint the size of an envelope on a road (ok all tyres have that, but you get my drift).

Each to their own. Personally, I avoid budget. Then again, I don't tend to hang around long :)

Last edited:
So you are willing to risk your life based on 4 tyres that basically have a footprint the size of an envelope on a road (ok all tyres have that, but you get my drift).

Each to their own. Personally, I avoid budget. Then again, I don't tend to hang around long :)

I wouldn't say I'm 'risking my life', My grandad drives 10mph under the speed limit everywhere, he drives too slow.

I don't think there's anything wrong with budget, my Punto's got budget on the front and it's fine, I've driven through snow with them on and it goes past BMWs etc easily..

Dom

I wouldn't say I'm 'risking my life', My grandad drives 10mph under the speed limit everywhere, he drives too slow.

I don't think there's anything wrong with budget, my Punto's got budget on the front and it's fine, I've driven through snow with them on and it goes past BMWs etc easily..

Dom

that was because BMW are Mostly RWD - which is a well know fact is 100% Rubbish in snow

FWD / 4wd is only way to get through the snow

I dont like budget tyres - sure have it as a Spare tyre - Suitable to Just get you home

But i had 2 different budget tyres on the front of mine, n they were horrible, they didnt grip or hold very well
Wacked 2 new Premiums on - and the difference was much better
Changed brand and again soo different

Ziggy

Budget tyres are a false economy, in my experience. They often wear out very quickly, whether this is due to the reduced grip they give, so 'scrub' more, or just the poor quality of rubber used i have no idea.

that was because BMW are Mostly RWD - which is a well know fact is 100% Rubbish in snow

FWD / 4wd is only way to get through the snow

Complete rubbish.

But define great ?! Driving along at 60mph - or demanding more from your tyres when it comes to the crunch :) then you will feel the difference.

Each to their own. We all have different needs when it comes to motoring.

Budget tyres work fine for me, the ones i've got on now have been great.
£29 each fully fitted!

Dom

P.S. Student on very little income can't afford much.

But define great ?! Driving along at 60mph - or demanding more from your tyres when it comes to the crunch :) then you will feel the difference.

Each to their own. We all have different needs when it comes to motoring.

I was driving along at 70mph on Saturday fine, no problems down the M1, M18, M62, icy roads on the way back, no slipping what-so-ever.

Dom

Back