Waves could reach 50ft as 70mph winds hit Britain.

Currently reading:
Waves could reach 50ft as 70mph winds hit Britain.

Very strange day today . . it's been 20deg with a lovely warm wind, but things are starting to get out of hand :(
don't know the speed of wind but I've tied the bins down and move'd all loose stuff in the yard. I live 2mile's north east and 3miles south east from the Irish sea so think i might be getting batter'd quite bad :(

In fact just searched now and we are getting winds from the south, of 44mph, that was @ 12:55am recorded at St Bees Head weather station, (closest to us).

Last edited:
Rather windy on the way home from duty, made it really hard to see with the rain! Not too bad at home though. Little bit windy and light rain.

Started raining in Huddersfield, not much wind, well not much more than normal.

The thing thats starting to **** me off about this storm is people and newspapers calling it a hurricane...

It was a hurricane, now its a storm.. we geographically cant get hurricanes in the United Kingdom... The term "Hurricane" only refers to a "Tropical Cyclone"

The water here isnt warm enough to sustain the thermal flows a hurricane requires.. hence why the speed of the wind is slower than that as it was in NY.

To quote a famous weatherman...
Michael Fish @BBC Weather said:
a woman rang the BBC and said she heard there was a hurricane on the way; well, if you're watching, don't worry, there isn't, but having said that, actually, the weather will become very windy

Started raining in Huddersfield, not much wind, well not much more than normal.

The thing thats starting to **** me off about this storm is people and newspapers calling it a hurricane...

It was a hurricane, now its a storm.. we geographically cant get hurricanes in the United Kingdom... The term "Hurricane" only refers to a "Tropical Cyclone"

The water here isnt warm enough to sustain the thermal flows a hurricane requires.. hence why the speed of the wind is slower than that as it was in NY.

To quote a famous weatherman...

from the NHC..

term used in advisories and tropical summaries to indicate that a cyclone has lost its "tropical" characteristics. The term implies both poleward displacement of the cyclone and the conversion of the cyclone's primary energy source from the release of latent heat of condensation to baroclinic (the temperature contrast between warm and cold air masses) processes. It is important to note that cyclones can become extratropical and still retain winds of hurricane or tropical storm force.

Back