General Water in tailgate !!!!

Currently reading:
General Water in tailgate !!!!

TTR

Established member
Eh up all,

This is getting to be a habit - nowt wrong with car then it comes in floods 🤬

So got the front footwell dry by clearing the two ducts in the engine bay as you know, plus got battery sorted.👍

Over Christmas noticed condensation on the rear window- blamed Mrs as usual as thought she had everything on and all widows closed and with all the rain we’ve had no airflow in car so steamed up.

Claimed I was paranoid - can you believe that - me 😁🤔😳

Anyway managed to get a bit of dry weather and opened up car tailgate, no signs of a break in the seal or ingress at the lip anywhere🤔

Flipped the tailgate and heard water 🤬😳 - sloshing around in the bottom of the tailgate -WT§

Popped out the little black drain covers and dropped the boot - no water came out but all clear

Puzzled I took out the rubber bump stops and did same - it pi88ed out - 😬

So took of the trim and looked inside the boot cavity - damp so dried it out ( I know it will get wet again but wanted to bottom it)

My question is anyone else had this
Where the hell can it be coming from
How the cluck can I trace the leak source
Assuming it’s coming from top plastic spoiler/ brake light mount rather than boot lift handle

Thought about blowing some fine chalk in and seeing where I get a run after a week - I blo88y hate water

Not a happy chap 😂😢🤬😡😡🤯

This is a first for me don’t know anyone with this issue or read about it on any forums.

As usual all help appreciated

Cheers

One possible cause is freezing weather. If the rear washer jet freezes, the pipe can come off. If it has, water is then pumped into the frame of the tailgate. There was a previous post a while back about how to remove the high brake light (which incorporates the washer jet)… it’s not easy to do. But a quick squirt of the washer would show if this is the issue - if the pipe is attached, water will go on the window.

One possible cause is freezing weather. If the rear washer jet freezes, the pipe can come off. If it has, water is then pumped into the frame of the tailgate. There was a previous post a while back about how to remove the high brake light (which incorporates the washer jet)… it’s not easy to do. But a quick squirt of the washer would show if this is the issue - if the pipe is attached, water will go on the window.
Herts

Definitely not the washer - checked that too all good .

I’m struggling with this one - might be reverting to the old chalk tricks

Cheers

I had a badly sealed panel under a light cluster that needed sealant. I used silicon but tiger seal would have been a better long term bet. It’s never leaed since sealed up. There was a hole between two body panels that was poorly sealed when the car was built.
Panda Nut

Thanks- it may be a bad seal in the plastic spoiler or high level brake light cluster- it’s my next check to see how it comes apart.

Not looking forward to that !

Cheers

Be careful. Bodyshops say they always break when removed. Fiat plastic is VERY brittle. They are also expensive things. Mine was removed by an expert car restorer who said he teased it out using two small plastic tipped screw drivers moving it a little at each side at a time and it will come out. He said it took 20 minutes plus of fiddling but saved £90 for a new one. He removed it for a minor body repair Its unlikely to be that from what I saw when looking at mine. The lip around the high level light would seem likely to be unlikely to allow water in.
If you go for it, remove the big plastic panda badge and you get the ability to check for water and can see thetabs that hold it with difficulty. Poor body panel fit I suspect is far more likely. We had a 10mm Sq hole The bootmat was always wet and I couldnt see where it was coming in. I have removed the seals on all three cars for various reasons and never had an issue with them I cannot see much liklihood of this being the cause. There is a thread on here about Panda 169 boot seals leaking and the fix followed that may help Puget Auld Jock I believe wrote the thread.

Be careful. Bodyshops say they always break when removed. Fiat plastic is VERY brittle. They are also expensive things. Mine was removed by an expert car restorer who said he teased it out using two small plastic tipped screw drivers moving it a little at each side at a time and it will come out. He said it took 20 minutes plus of fiddling but saved £90 for a new one. He removed it for a minor body repair Its unlikely to be that from what I saw when looking at mine. The lip around the high level light would seem likely to be unlikely to allow water in.
If you go for it, remove the big plastic panda badge and you get the ability to check for water and can see thetabs that hold it with difficulty. Poor body panel fit I suspect is far more likely. We had a 10mm Sq hole The bootmat was always wet and I couldnt see where it was coming in. I have removed the seals on all three cars for various reasons and never had an issue with them I cannot see much liklihood of this being the cause. There is a thread on here about Panda 169 boot seals leaking and the fix followed that may help Puget Auld Jock I believe wrote the thread.
Crucially the high level brake light is also held in place by a super-sticky double-sided tape/gasket (which is what makes it hard to remove. BTW, the glue softens if warmed with a hot air gun). So long as that’s all in place, I’d very much doubt water would get through there.

If you do want to try, here’s how to remove it…
Post in thread 'fiat panda 2012 mk4.how to remove rear washer jet that has been pushed into the high level break light assembly.'
https://www.fiatforum.com/threads/f...evel-break-light-assembly.492242/post-4628072

Crucially the high level brake light is also held in place by a super-sticky double-sided tape/gasket (which is what makes it hard to remove. BTW, the glue softens if warmed with a hot air gun). So long as that’s all in place, I’d very much doubt water would get through there.

If you do want to try, here’s how to remove it…
Post in thread 'fiat panda 2012 mk4.how to remove rear washer jet that has been pushed into the high level break light assembly.'
https://www.fiatforum.com/threads/f...evel-break-light-assembly.492242/post-4628072
Eh up Herts

I’ve got hot air guns and plastic pry tools - familiar with removing plastic parts and trim so not too concerned. I’m doubtful it’s the source of the leak so opting for the French chalk trick to start with.

Bl88dy water is getting in somewhere!!!!

Eh up Panda Nut

Cheers for this - as below I doubt it’s the source of the leak. The water is running inside the body panel of the tailgate itself ie collecting in the cavity where it should drain out but somehow is getting trapped, so cannot possibly be coming in via the boot seals. Boot floor is bone dry.?????
I’ll see if I can trace it using chalk dust - I ain’t giving up. If it’s seeping high level least I can rule out specific points in the car. Cheers

The holes where the licenseplate is supposed to be bolted to?

gr J
A3jeron definitely a no as I replaced the plate when I got the car in 2016 and sealed the holes and taped the new plate on - but fair shout 👍 Cheers

Could it be getting in round the wiper shaft.
RalphM

Eh up - that’s a thought to be fair, should be an easy spot when I take a look inside the panel again. Doing the french chalk trick should identify that area. Happy to strip anything apart to find this bl88dy leak !!!!! Cheers👍

Eh up all,
With a bit of luck I’ve found the fu££££ing thing at last - thanks to a shed load of rain last night

Opened up this morning- no sign of water running out of the rubber stops at the bottom mmm 🤔

Looked under the boot latch and saw water in the plastic well where the catch sits ????

Water was dripping down from the locking mechanism from the inside of the trim cover 🤬😬☹️

Also followed it down the inside of the boot and lo and behold a little pool of water in the spare wheel recess FFS🤬🤯

Stripped of the trim and got the torch, there was a distinct water track vertically from the area of the wiper, stuck a tissue up and was wet 👍

Dropped the boot shut and looked carefully at the rubber grommet around the wiper shaft ( 👍ralphm) peeled it back and it was wet through right down to the lip on the glass . I’m now assuming that believe it or not water could be running down under the seal and through to the inner tailgate panel😳

The grommet is quite loose on mine and turns easily, it was a bit of a surprise as I assumed it would be a press fit job- so my logic is it’s either softened over time or I’m just unlucky.

Anyway as a temporary fix I’ve dropped sikoflex in between the rubber seal and glass to hopefully seal the water out, I’ll order a new seal ( anyone know a part number???) and fit when it’s dry once I figure out what I’ve got to remove to access it. I hope 🤞 it is the solution.

I’m god smacked that I seem to be the only one whose experienced this given I’ve not read about it anywhere - I’ve had every 4x4 panda variations since the Mk1 and never had this issue.

I bl88dy well hope this is the solution- I hate water leaks at the best of times

Will keep this thread live as want to be sure it’s the fix.

Cheers all

Another one with this issue ! I just cavity waxed the tailgate and living with it. May investigate further when warmer/dryer.

Eh up from Pi88ed off ,🤬

The sodding thing is STILL full of water .....🤯WT8 😬

Checked this afternoon and it pi88ed out when I took the bump stop out.

To say I was mildly upset was an understatement 😂

Even my faithful Cocker Spaniel ran for it ......

Mmm well back to drawing board - I’m now think 🤔 it must be coming in from the brake light ....who knows 🤔

I ain’t giving up on this mission 😡

Hey ho from sunny 😎 Yorkshire ☔

Have I said I hate water 💦 leaks !!!!!

Back