Vent your insurance frustration :)

Currently reading:
Vent your insurance frustration :)

The way it would work is that you insure youself on it for a year - not even drive it - but just to build up the no claims bonus.
It doesn't matter about MOT or tax because it won't even be driven so you wont be able to have an accident that will void the policy.

I thought to insure a vehicle, it had to be taxed. :confused: Or is the other way round...? I'm showing my lack of knowledge now. :rolleyes:

Ah ok, thanks.
I still don't think insuring yourself on a car you're not using is a great idea. Seems alot of money, hassle and time just for a years no claims. :confused:
But hey ho, if there's no issues regarding legality then (y)

If it isn't taxed it will have to be declared SORN - I doubt you'd earn a proper NCD for insuring a heap of scrap on your drive, they may give you some sort of gestural discount.
In any case, as a youngster, even if you insured the cheapest possible car, what's it going to cost you for TPF&T?
The following year, you present an insurer with another car & claim you have 1 year's NCD. they check the database & see your 1 year's NCD is for the rear subframe of a 1972 mini that was declared SORN for the year. After picking themselves up & wiping away the tears they will give you a stupid quote & tell you that includes the 1 year NCD - how are you ever going to know?

Best way to earn NCD is to buy something old & cheap to run/insure.
You will also save yourself a small fortune because your mates won't ever want a lift - they'll be too busy scrounging lifts off their other mate who is bankrupting himself driving that cherished chavmobile with extra mods.
After a few years of frugal driving, you'll have saved enough for a decent motor & built up plenty of NCD from cheap insurance.

I know a guy who insured himself as the main driver a car that wasn't even on the road for a year to get a years no claims bonus - whilst being an additional on another that he actually used.
Which is fraud, otherwise known as obtaining financial advantage by deception. Insurance contracts are based on what is called "utmost good faith". In other words for the contract to be legal you have to tell the truth. All of it.

Every time we get one of these in court they are always amazed that they were caught. It seems they all think they invented this idea not realising that it has been around for many years although it is less common than it used to be.

Best way to earn NCD is to buy something old & cheap to run/insure.
And to drive as if the test examiner is sitting beside you. The best way to increase your premiums is to get caught trying to cheat an insurer. I have seen quotes that were bigger than the ones you get after a drink driving conviction.

Which is fraud, otherwise known as obtaining financial advantage by deception. Insurance contracts are based on what is called "utmost good faith". In other words for the contract to be legal you have to tell the truth. All of it.

Every time we get one of these in court they are always amazed that they were caught. It seems they all think they invented this idea not realising that it has been around for many years although it is less common than it used to be.

What would happen if a car was Taxed, MOTed etc, but I just didn't drive it for a year? Not to get cheaper insurance, but didn't need to use it. (I cant work out how it will be cheaper, you've spent £1k+ but not able to use it), would that still be fraud?

Can someone remind me of what a NCB is please?

Is it not a Bonus of not making an Insurance Claim or having one lodged against during a set period (often a year).

Wether or not the car was on the road legally or just existed as a SORNed heap is irrelivent surly?

As lets face is. A NCB doesn't prove that a driver is any good, or a lesser risk. Most the time with some people (especially people my age) its down to luck, or illegal activities like driving away from a car that they've reversed into in a car park :bang: (n)

What would happen if a car was Taxed, MOTed etc, but I just didn't drive it for a year? Not to get cheaper insurance, but didn't need to use it. (I cant work out how it will be cheaper, you've spent £1k+ but not able to use it), would that still be fraud?

I would imagine that if the car is in a 100% road worthy state (taxed and MOTed) then it cannot be considered fraud to have the car insured and not drive it; the use of another car more than the actual owner of the second car can still, seperately, be seen as fronting. That however might alter if your policy allows Drive Other Cars.

Afterall, you can get TPFT on a car to cover the event that someone steals it and/or sets fire to it.

Last edited:
Wether or not the car was on the road legally or just existed as a SORNed heap is irrelivent surly?

If you bought a heap with the sole intention of restoring it, you would want to insure against fire & theft - especially if it was one of only a handful in existence and you had to handmake body panels and various other parts.

I imagine the company will offer cheaper insurance due to the lessened risks.
Once it is restored you would most likely want fully comp to protect your investment.

That probably comes under 'laid up' insurance.

The fact of the matter is there are no insurance dodges or skives.

Every one has been tried, most failed and there's not any point if it voids your insurance as you'll get double screwed when you get 6 points for driving without insurance, plus the unlimited fine, plus the damages you'll have to pay to who/whatever you hit, plus you getting sued for every injury they never actually recieved.

There is however one plan that proved quite succsessful for a few guys I know and also possibly exempts you from speeding tickets.

Oh do explain :)

Abroad the insurance rates are quite cheap - For example over here it would cost something rediculous like 4 grand to insure myself on a fast-ish standard car say a 350z or Cooper S works. None of those are something I'd even want - but just for examples sake.

Abroad the prices are half that. Mainly because in France and Germany it is illegal to modify engines or gearbox's. Anything other than an exhaust and iduction kit can land you in considerable trouble.

So some skiiers and bikers I know who clubbed together and bought a challét said they realised that as they own a property in France; they can buy a French car, insure it using the French property as their address and then drive it in the UK using a 3 month holiday insurance which they renew online.

And as for the speeding tickets you apparently can only get an 'excess speed warning' as it is a French resgistered vehicle.

I'm sure some people in here would be able to shoot holes in that allover though.

I wonder what happens about you having a UK licence and getting pulled though.

Should make for an interesting read :)

So some skiiers and bikers I know who clubbed together and bought a challét said they realised that as they own a property in France; they can buy a French car, insure it using the French property as their address and then drive it in the UK using a 3 month holiday insurance which they renew online.
The right to drive a foreign registered car in the UK is subject to some legal limits. One of which is that if the owner becomes resident in the UK the car must immediately be registered in the UK.

And as for the speeding tickets you apparently can only get an 'excess speed warning' as it is a French resgistered vehicle.
The penalty imposed depends on the licence held by the driver not where the car is registered. Foreign licence holders can't accept a fixed penalty so all their cases go to court. If they get points a record is kept by the DVLA and they can be banned in exactly the same way as UK licence holders.

A UK licence holder driving a foreign registered car would be asked some questions about the circumstances. The likely outcome would be seizure of the car as any insurance is highly unlikely to be valid as the car is being used illegally (not UK registered and taxed) and a no insurance prosecution.

If stopped at the roadside a foreign vehicle and/or licence won't help you at all. If anything the combination of a UK licence and an overseas reg car will make the police take a closer look than they might have done if it was a UK car.

Speed cameras are a little different. There is no doubt that foreign reg cars are not usually sent tickets because they can't easily get hold of an address. But when a car gets a second ticket in the same area the number is usually reported to the police for a stop check if they see it.

Over the years I have seen lots of different attempts to enable a driver to ignore road traffic law. This idea is far from new. The other thing people forget is to consider what the law in the other country says. Some of them have very strict laws about car registration. Be a shame to avoid a speed ticket in the UK and get a big fine in Switzerland/germany/france for breaching thier laws.

Last edited:
haha I thought it was all too good (read bullsh*t) to be true.

You certainly know your stuff anyway thats for sure! Are you in the insurance/licensing game or something similar?

It does make me laugh though. All these idiots that are willing to risk their licences and NCB's etc just to save a few hundered pounts. It's quite sad really.

At the end of the day insurance is there for a reason and you just have to suck up and pay. There shouldn't even be people with the frame of mind that think theres a way around the situation.

Last edited:
Back