Vent your insurance frustration :)

Currently reading:
Vent your insurance frustration :)

You certainly know your stuff anyway thats for sure! Are you in the insurance/licensing game or something similar?

I am one of those nice people who say " Stand up huckoveraduck. For this offence of no insurance you will pay a fine of £200, court costs of £45, victim surcharge of £15 and 8 points on your licence. The sum of £260 is due now. How do you intend to pay?"

I am one of those nice people who say " Stand up huckoveraduck. For this offence of no insurance you will pay a fine of £200, court costs of £45, victim surcharge of £15 and 8 points on your licence. The sum of £260 is due now. How do you intend to pay?"

ahh I see now :)

The fine and overall punishment is so very little though.

Only if looked at face value like most people tend to.

When you think of the consequences that come with having an accident without insurance, then £260 or what the figure was isn't much of a deterrent.

Sure the points on the license and inconveniance of a ban are likely to put future insurance premiums up the wall, if even quoted!

A fine will always be based, in part at least, on ability to pay. The figure I quoted was just an example that might apply to a defendant with very little income. The real penalty is the big rise in premiums because insurers don't like people who have already shown that they can't be trusted in matters of motor insurance.
There is also a considerable deterrent effect as a second no insurance within 3 years would see you at 12 points and facing a 6 month ban.

A fine will always be based, in part at least, on ability to pay. The figure I quoted was just an example that might apply to a defendant with very little income. The real penalty is the big rise in premiums because insurers don't like people who have already shown that they can't be trusted in matters of motor insurance.
There is also a considerable deterrent effect as a second no insurance within 3 years would see you at 12 points and facing a 6 month ban.

Out of interest, do you often see the same people coming back?

Surely if someone is driving without insurance, then they aren't going to be put off by a driving ban?

You need to consider why people get a no insurance charge. Some have just forgotten to renew. Some have made a silly but genuine mistake and thought they were covered when they weren't. Those people don't come back because they learn from their mistakes.

Some had what they were sure was a scam that wouldn't be detected and were happily cheating the insurers and the rest of us who are honest with our insurance. You don't have to look far on the net to find people who are fronting, failing to declare illegal headlamp mods, driving on DOC a car which is theirs but registered in another name, driving foreign reg cars. I could go on and on but I am sure you get the message.

By definition such people aren't that bright and all too often go on to try another fool proof sure fire won't get caught this time scam. Then they get caught again. A surprising number of them go on to drive while disqualified because they have found another sure fire way of not getting caught. We only find these people when they get caught again.

Yet more amusing quotes arrived today,

I got my renewal price thorugh from Adrian Flux at £585 I think it was. Very reasonable indeed for a 19 year old driver, 1 years NCB, 1 accident not at fault and just short for 2 years driving, only 3rd party cover etc etc

Nonetheless I went looking for a cheaper quote and found my cheapest on 'comparethemarket' at £1018, and 'gocompare' £930.

Tried ringing a few places but NFU don't insure under 20's or something daft and a few others due to car age etc.

ahhh how great the world of insurance is for young people :)

They do if you know how ;)

You probably have to have contents or life or tractor insurance, or go through a brokers?

The world of insurance is a corrupt place.

One day you ring up and can't get insured, then the next you tell them you most distant relative has vintage tractor insurance in Austraila and hello! your back in the game

:)

Hmm, my insurance renewal came in. No accidents, no points, no convictions, alas a year older but another year of safe driving. All good. That is why my direct debit will increase around £10 a month. Plugged details into the comparison websites and it can take £300 off. I shall be phoning to tell them what I think in the morning. I also think my no claims is wrong.

You probably have to have contents or life or tractor insurance, or go through a brokers?

The world of insurance is a corrupt place.

One day you ring up and can't get insured, then the next you tell them you most distant relative has vintage tractor insurance in Austraila and hello! your back in the game

:)

We'll you sused me out there.

Alot of mates are with NFU, but they're all from agricultural backgrounds.

i got a horrible quote for my punto mk2 1.2 8v with the AA.

23 years old
1 years no claims
third party fire and theft

£4500

i didnt want to look and see what fully comp was.

the joys of living on a 5h1tty estate in rochdale.
did it at my dads address wich is bout a mile up the road and it dropped down a grand lol.

so i stuck with ecar and was quoted £1000 :D

Back