Technical Twinair valve actuator oil filter

Currently reading:
Technical Twinair valve actuator oil filter

Please report back your findings Iain, as I cleaned mine at 34,000 and it was almost completely clear (which is a good sign I guess).

I attempted it at the weekend but my 15mm thin-wall socket isn't thin enough so I'm waiting on a new one arriving.

Mine doesn't have the plastic 1/4 turn thingamy as the cover though, it's got a 10mm hex socket plug which was on quite tight. No sign of threadlock and only one thin o-ring as the seal.

Attachments

• IMG_1022.jpg
    IMG_1022.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 930
I bought a set of Draper box spanners including a 15mm when I changed mine.

Mine's the solid Hex socket plug the same as Ian's above.

No amount of 15mm thin walled sockets would fit through the threaded hole, waiting for a set of box spanners off Ebay to arrive!

Mine's the solid Hex socket plug the same as Ian's above.

No amount of 15mm thin walled sockets would fit through the threaded hole, waiting for a set of box spanners off Ebay to arrive!

That might explain why the cover and access hole was changed.
Mine was a 2014 and appeared to have a hard plastic cover and cap, though I did see images of earlier cars with alloy ones.

I don't own a TA anymore, but would be interested to see any pics of higher mileage cars filters (like Iain's at 90k), though I still think regular oil changes with the correct grade and amount (not helped by the awful dipstick) are vital for these engines.

Finally got around to cleaning it, the box spanner tip was a good shout.

This is on oil that’s done 13000 miles, I thought I’d look at it on old oil just out of interest in case changing it flushed out any gunk. This is the longest it’s ever gone without an oil change, usually i change it after 10000 using 5w40 as it’s a 2012.

No horrors - no lumps, no gunk, just oil. Not bad for 90000 having seen the state of some of the Multiair strainers after 50000. Before and after blasting with carb cleaner shots below.

Attachments

• 582FF342-7F91-4E90-927F-52A9C4B84EFA.jpeg
    582FF342-7F91-4E90-927F-52A9C4B84EFA.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 435
  • BE53CA05-FEF7-4156-8F4A-693EFAD2B8EB.jpeg
    BE53CA05-FEF7-4156-8F4A-693EFAD2B8EB.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 448
Last edited:
I think that despite my filter being clean and the regular oil changes, the big actuator replacement bill is impending.

Misfiring on cylinder 1 this morning, coughing, spluttering, rough idle. Changed the coils and plugs, still misfiring on the same cylinder. The plugs are only 2 days old so there's a chance one is faulty or gapped incorrectly but even swapping them to the other cylinder brought up the same fault on cylinder 1.

F*CK.

Do bear in mind that a new Uniair module will last the rest of the engine's life. Nothing stopping you having cause confirmed and buying part and have someone else fit. Sure you could get a 3 year old engine but one I found only done 5k miles. Yours will have a lot less wear. I spent over £7k in 5.5 years maintaining 2 Vauxhalls and a Renault, and only had one unreliable Fiat out of 9 so far, so am pretty happy. Though all 5 Pandas had this shape fairly new.

It’s behaved itself over the past few hundred miles so I’m just going to wait and see. Im swapping one thing over at a time to the other cylinder when the fault appears in hope that I can narrow it down to something other than the actuators.

Even if I change it myself I’m looking at close to £500 by the time I factor in gaskets and oil, that’s a lot to spend on a panda approaching 100000 miles when it also needs a new exhaust too - that’ll be at least another £250. I’ll decide if/when it gets worse.

IanM

I had the exact same problem last year. Came up immediately on carrying out an Oil change and doing an oil change reset on the Uniair module. Swapped plugs and coils and it always was showing a misfire on cylinder 1. Improved once warmed up.

Problem was completely resolved initially by disconnecting the pre cat lambda sensor (to prove it) and then replacing it once a new one was obtained.

A very off sequence of circumstances but yours seems the same. Multiecuscan doesn't help much for me as the Lambda 1 volts field has always been blank.

I've not had the misfire warning since the initial one, although I've now got an incredible amount of turbo lag when the engine has been labouring for a few minutes (going up a long steep hill or after some 'spirited' driving). It's almost as if the wastegate is becoming sticky and slow or I've got an air leak which only appears when the engine is incredibly hot.

Oh well, I can live with it until it dies.

Hi,

After reading of this epic I also bought the actuator oil filter for my Twiair.
Last weekend I changed this filter for the new one and what I can say is that it is waste of many (33€ in NL).
Old filter in my Fiat about 60000km is not dirty and the breather valve works good.
I drive on SHELL 0W-30 C2/C3 changed each 20000km.

Kind regards,
Marcin

Back