Tom or other ICE genius...

Currently reading:
Tom or other ICE genius...

Not quite as cheap from the UK distributor.

What are you running up front?

Currently my system sucks as ive only just got my new HGT! This is what i have in there now:

Pioneer DEH9400MP
Phoenix Gold tantrum 400.4 amp
JL VR650Csi comps running off front channels of amp
JL 500/1 amp
JL 15W3

however in a couple of months i will have
Focal 165W Utopias to replace my VR's
A new two channel amp to run them (JL 300/2 / Zapco Reference 750.2 / or PG TiElite 1000.2)
Keep my 500/1 and buy probably either 12W6v2 or 10W7
I've got 1000 to spend and can just afford the most expensive possibly setup.

I dont know whether the 1000.2 amp is too much power for the Utopia's but it would be nice :)

I'm not sure the utopias will suit your requirements. They are nice though!

I'm running Rainbow profi-vanadium 3 way (6.5", 4" and 1") up front but thats about to change. In the rear is an Illusion audio ND-12 all driven from Phase Linear modular amps.

Yes they will tom :) Ive heard them already they are incredible. Someone said they werent loud but the woofers play very low and the tweeters play very low as well.

I was going to go for the 3 way system but told that its overkill with the focals because of the big tweeter.

what are you planning to have for front sound stage Tom?

Big tweeter.. whoever said that was talking out their ass ;)

The focal TN51 tweet does not like playing low. Have you heard many other 6.5" setups?

Not sure just yet, have some plans in the pipeline though.

What i mean is they play lower than you would expect from a tweeter. Ive heard Diamond M661's and they were nice but not focal league. Other than that i cant say ive heard many other 6.5in systems - not expensive ones anyway. I like my JL's for what i paid they are good. Compared to the Focals though they lack midrange big time and mine are equalised!

Yes, the utopias do produce some nice midrange. I wouldn't cross the focal tweet below 3k though. There are some lovely tweets out there that will go down as low as 1.5k.

Thats low!

I could only imagine how good the Utopias would be in my car with the PG amp as with the digital time alignment and the equalizer on my head unit my JL's sound transparant enough!

Surely if the PG amp puts out 250W rms x 2 at 14.4V then it will be closer to say 175W when they run at the real voltage of say 13-13.5V? Am i right or stupid?

I'm running about 200w/side up front.

I like high crossover points, some tweeters do odd things off axis if you go too low. Currently crossed at 3.5k on mine.

re

I've got two MTX thunder 8000 15" subs and i love them, and everyone that hears them does too!

they definately do loud well, but also do the lower volumes nice too in my opinion

Re: re

Damn you JL haters (Tom) :)

sig.jpg

200W rms per chanel eh Tom that must be quite loud! Have you bridged 4 chanels then or is the amp a powerful 2 chanel?

@ John - i see you have a 12W6v2! What do you think of it and if you dont mind me asking how much did you pay?

Think i'm a bit of a JL whore too :)

2 channels?! You've gotta be kidding! 6 of my 8 channels are used just for the front speakers :)

Hi,

Yeah I really like it, was going to go for the w7 but was too pricey for me. Its amazingly tight and punchy on rock songs, my dance is a little loose at the moment but i haven't tuned it proper like (even tho my sig says so). But it sinks, i played some public domain through it and i struggled to breathe - it felt like the air was being sucked out of my lungs :)

The 500/1 amp has more knobs on it than.. well what Kimmy has seen anyway :)

Regards

John

sig.jpg

Cheers John, pleased to hear you are happy with it!

I remember running my W3 at first off my Phoenix G amp and it was getting 200W rms - i didnt like the sub very much but i stuck with it coz that was not enough power and i could tell it had some potential! When i got my 500/1 ( which as you know ALWAYS gives 500W Rms :) !) i realised an amazing difference as you can get the thing to sound exactly the way you would want it too. not to mention the power tightened the sub somewhat. I would expect alot from a 10W7 if my sub is two levels below. Ive heard a 12W7 driven with a 1000/1 and that was the loudest thing ive ever heard while still sounding very good :)

Cheers for all the opinions

I can show you louder :)

Not my car though, thats not the idea of my setup! My sub only weighs 2kg.

Tom i doubt it mate - this was a single woofer setup remember! All other subs ive heard get to a point where they dont go any louder even when you are pushing the volume further and further. Thats one of the tricks of the W7s. Ive heard a car with 3 10W3s run of a 100/1 and it wasnt as loud, i'd like to be proved wrong! Was TOO loud anyway :)

I KNOW I can show you louder :) There is no doubt in my mind.

The W7 is good but its not that good.

Well Tom I'd be a fool to doubt you but please enlighten me as to what subs are louder