General Throttle body Pedal position sensor 1, sensor 2

Currently reading:
General Throttle body Pedal position sensor 1, sensor 2

There seems to be nothing coming up on a search on this.

Just had an MoT fail because the pedal position sensor 1 circuit and 2 circuit on the throttle body.

Do I have to renew as this is about £80 or can I get it working?

There could be a pedal position sensor attached to the throttle pedal ?

Need the code really, without it we are really just guessing, I take it the check light is on, has it come on before, does the car drive fine

TPS errors often get confused

Throttle position sensor
Throttle pedal sensor

Throttle body pedal position sensor in the heading does not make sense unfortunately

Discription mentions both pedal and body which is unlikely

We also need to know which system you have

Cable throttle
Or
Flyby wire

There totally different

Throttle position sensor normally does not self clear and the car may not rev properly

Flyby P0120 error can normally be fix with a can of compressed air directed at the throttle potentiometer

Throttle body position sensor can be changed, not something I have done myself

Last edited:
Need the code really, without it we are really just guessing

TPS errors often get confused

Throttle position sensor
Throttle pedal sensor

Throttle body pedal position sensor in the heading does not make sense unfortunately

Discription mentions both pedal and body which is unlikely

We also need to know which system you have

Cable throttle
Or
Flyby wire

There totally different

Throttle position sensor normally does not self clear and the car may not rev properly

Flyby P0120 error can normally be fix with a can of compressed air directed at the throttle potentiometer

Throttle body position sensor can be changed, not something I have done myself
Yes, I have to confess this is a new one for me.
I assume it is flyby wire as I see no cable
The MoT states code type P1221 and P1222 in the scan results.
The car was revving weirdly after - it is an automatic BTW.

Looks like it's normally the throttle pedal

At least a few have been fixed by a blast of compressed air, which would be handy

If you need a pedal there's at least three different ones used

Dynamic including the robotic appears to be 46800473
That is an interesting link thanks but TBH I don't know what I am doing. Do I need to get the motor to a Fiat dealer or will cleaning the terminals be worth a shot?

That is an interesting link thanks but TBH I don't know what I am doing. Do I need to get the motor to a Fiat dealer or will cleaning the terminals be worth a shot?
Yes
No
Maybe

It will depend what wrong, and what you are conformable in doing yourself, it's impossible to say before it's been looked at

If compressed air works it's just a matter of kneeling down and spraying around, dead easy, it has worked for a few people but that's usually a single code, but very simple

Odds are the contacts on the side have gone green and corroded with a bit of damp, I did one of my cars years ago, it would be worth disconnecting the battery negative first, I don't know if you can unplug the connector insitu as I had already removed the pedal, but can check latter for you, unplugging and plugging the connector a few times will scratch the oxides off. Some switch clean would make the repair more permanent

Worse case would be a secondhand pedal £30c acess isn't difficult it's does require some crawling around though

First of, you need a long reach socket in an odd size, it's been several years and I can't remember the size, If you are willing to try I can measure mine, plus there's one electrical connection to undo

right been out and looked at mine

sadly my phone is low on change and i cant use the flash

the top of the pedal is behind the body computer restricting visibility

but you you can remove and reseat the connector without undoing anything

for me it quite an easy job, less than a minute, however i have done load of these connector before

i suspect if you haven't it might be a struggle, once your hands on the connector it blocks the view and it has to be done by feel

the connector is at the top, on the lefthand side of the connector the is a tab you have to lift a few mm, on mine it off white, grayish , this then allows that side to push in and the connector to pull off

here not a great photo not mine of the corrosion on a 500, we use to see a lot more before the problem with the scuttle drains became well known

acc.png

P1221 is the pedal position sensor.
I got a replacement off ebay for a FIAT 500 for 30 quid.
great feedback, good to know the 500 also works as it opens up more possibilities

probably best sticking to the 1.2 though

I know according to eper that the 1.3 and 4x4 pandas use a different part number, although we have had someone fit a 1.2 into a diesel and it worked okay as far as we know

Some good leads here thanks. I will give it a go in a few days when the weather improves. I guess I will be doing it by feel but then so many of these Panda and Citroen jobs are like this!!

the top of the pedal is behind the body computer restricting visibility

but you you can remove and reseat the connector without undoing anything

for me it quite an easy job, less than a minute, however i have done load of these connector before

View attachment 428744
So true that the pedal top is well hidden and inaccessible. I had a go at it today and gave up. I was completely at sea so now I have no idea what to do next.

So true that the pedal top is well hidden and inaccessible. I had a go at it today and gave up. I was completely at sea so now I have no idea what to do next.
I can try and talk you through it tomorrow afternoon

Or you will have to pay a garage to change it for you

I should be able to step by step get you through a reseat of the cable with some pictures, which would be a good starting place

I can try and talk you through it tomorrow afternoon

Or you will have to pay a garage to change it for you

I should be able to step by step get you through a reseat of the cable with some pictures, which would be a good starting place
I have had a visitor and so I have to turn down the offer to work on the pedal today. Very sorry but it is bloomin bank holiday!!

Back