The Hearse

Currently reading:
The Hearse

Martyn said:
The guy from Kwik Fit rang yesterday. Said the rear wheels were never removed to replace the anti roll bar links/bushes. Not convinced by that, especially as I know that the last time the Vecs rear wheels removed was by stuarty who I watched tighten them up BY HAND.

Not sure what else I can do other than advise folk to stay clear of Kwik ****.

Sounds like the same kind of service I got from my local Arnold Clark - trying to squirm their way out of every issue they cause.

I almost hit one in the works car once :O They don't seem to be the most intelectual of animals!

jatkinson said:
just hope it isnt to deer to replace the bits....

*sigh* I wondered how long til that comment appeared!!!

£178 inc vat for the new rads, fan, grille, bumper panel, bonnet, ring, light. £30 odd on paints etc.

Still, when shes back on the road it'll all have been worth it.

In a slight update, parts are all here now, new bumper panel is in primer (hopefully have a coat of that lovely Satin Red on it tonight!) just waiting for stuarty to appear and we'll get cracking :)

Tonights progress (a shameless copy & paste from my thread on VVOC)

I was heading home from work when Bambi decides to run out in front of me. I had no chance to avoid and so the inevitable happened. Thankfully, due to the weather, I wasn't doing anywhere near to the speed limit. Still not a nice experience (and I'm sure the deer would agree with that!)

In the cold light of day the car looks poorly. Fairly poorly :( I only got a proper look at the damage this morning.

DSCI0116.jpg

DSCI0115.jpg

Managed to make a few phone calls and secure a few replacement parts from a local breakers. So cue the A team theme...Stuarty turned up tonight to give a hand for a couple of hours. Mucho impressed with the progress, though there's still a wee bit to be done!

DSCI0122.jpg

DSCI0124.jpg

DSCI0125.jpg

DSCI0126.jpg

DSCI0127.jpg

DSCI0129.jpg

The long term plan is to have a body shop renew the front landing panel; we've made do for just now and the repairs so far are a huge improvement! I'm hoping a few tweeks, a bit more paint and all should be well!

Big thanks to Stuart as always for the help! Maybe get a few more pics tomorrow!

Seen the damage, and some of the repair, including a small DIY respray that didn't look too shabby. Hope you got it finished tonight :(

Gregry254 said:
Seen the damage, and some of the repair, including a small DIY respray that didn't look too shabby. Hope you got it finished tonight :(

Thanks mate, thanks for the running around to Autosave etc for supplies. Very much appreciated!

Big cheers as well to Stuarty for all the help, I'm owe you big style mate!

I'll get some more pics up tomorrow maybe; cars all finished but then dropped Stu off and went out to the pub. I've not long surfaced and have work in an hour and a half!

The DIY respray seems to have turned out ok. With the front wings eventually getting removed for a full front end rebuild I decided to tackle some rust on the o/s/f wing. Sanded, rust treated, primed and painted...and all within about 3 hours. The only bugger is going to be getting the rest of the paint to look as nice now!

Martyn said:
Essentially a volvo 4x4 wanted to change lane on Holburn Street last night. Even though i was alongside he tried to move anyway.

Bloody 4x4 owners eh :wink: hope it's no too bad

My bambi - dented wing is now down to the metal on the arch. The plastic bump strip and side repeater are covered in black. Wing mirrors smashed to ****.

N/S Front door - in one piece, no dents, but again scratched to buggery. Down to the metal in places. Front of the N/S rear door badly scratched too.

I know the Vecs an aging shed, but this is taking the **** now

It would be my second insurance write off in two years (Bravo last year). The cost of the spraying/prep work FAR outweighs what the car is worth.

I honestly, and maybe stupidly, just coudn't be arsed with the hassle. I'd have to get past the insurance first, who'd no-doubt try to prove that I was somehow in the wrong.

Repairing the damage myself. Still got 3 tins of Satin red in the shed from when Bambi struck. Front doors gonna get replaced as the inner card was shot anyway, new mirror Im awa for on Saturday and front wing - well, I'll tidy up the rubstrip and replace the repeater.

Lifes too short to get bogged down in insurance rangles.

Back