The Hearse

Currently reading:
The Hearse

[attachment=1:2p2m7dh2]08032010274.jpg[/attachment:2p2m7dh2]I cant believe Ive posted nothing much about my current daily so far!

So yeh, March time I got an insurance payout after my HGT was written off. Bought a Vec estate. Not a bad runner at all, but had a few issues.

08032010274.jpg

There she is, a day or two after I got her. That was nearly 6 months ago, and shes had a hard life under my ownership so far.

So it turns out this weekend is now a big-rush fix it on the car I've dubbed 'The Hearse'. Anyone who keeps tabs on my facebook will know Im planning a wee roadtrip early to Oxford in September, plus the MOT is about due...so the plan of attack for the car is as follows:

Replace a CV joint (burst ABS ring or something, getting a bit of ABS feedback on brakes)
Replace both rear trailing arms (complete with new bushes)
Replace rear brakes
Replace rear brake callipers
Renew back handbrake cables (and new spring tensioners)
Engine service
Renew rocker cover gasket (maybe stop loosing oil)
New coolant resevoior tank (not getting the water low warnings)
Rear bulb (reg plate) replacement. Sounds simple, but the bloody screws on the plastic cover are rotten. Bodgit and Scarper to the rescue methinks!

Then after that a couple of new tyres and into the garage for tracking/allignment.

So yeh, that's the latest on Project Hearse. Cheers in advance to Stuarty, my SOS mechanic! Bacon rolls and tea will not be in short supply :)

As I think I said at the time, looks decent enough in the pic. Hope she serves you well on the trip to Oxford :smile:

Should probably start a Project thread myself on RGZ at some point. Probably best before I get rid of her :laugh:

I've been flat out with work all day (well, trying to look busy anyway) but Stuart headed over to a mates garage where the car will be this weekend. I believe work has begun on prepping the new rear arms & bushes. plan is to have both built up, with new brakes, ready to effectively transplant at the weekend. Thats the plan, however I'm managing to hold that plan up as I haven't yet bought the brakes. Oops.

I'm planning on getting my hands dirty with this little lot of work, including trying the rocker cover gasket and doing most of the service myself. After all, how hard can it be?

v6 stuarty said:

Ha ha yee of little faith!!!!

More parts in the back of the Hearse and more to pick up tomorrow before she goes off the road for a few days!

While I remember Stuart, Ive just put my phone on charge and read your text. I'll take rally HQ with me tomorrow (if I get time to hunt for it before work!)

Hi Martyn,

That's not a bad looking Vectra.....Cool

I have to say Ive seen larger list of things to do for MOT....matter a fact Ive had larger failure lists lol,hope all go's smooth on its test when the time comes,Good Luck,

See yeah about all the best Scuderia

MWUHAHAHAHAHA, its in my posession now, tbh scud, its in pretty good shape, its just at that age where all thewear and tear stuff is needing renewed.

might be a late night tomorrow and a fair shift on saturday depending on how easily everything comes apart.

v6 stuarty said:
MWUHAHAHAHAHA, its in my posession now, tbh scud, its in pretty good shape, its just at that age where all thewear and tear stuff is needing renewed.

might be a late night tomorrow and a fair shift on saturday depending on how easily everything comes apart.

I fully expect to head straight to the passport interview at 9am on Saturday from Snappers!

But nah, its gonna be a busy but productive weekend I think!

Hows she performing Martyn?

took it for a thras.......*ahem* i mean a test drive after it was all put together and she was 100 times better, i actually felt confident taking a corner lol.

no more clunking when going over a bump, no more feeling like the car is drifting along a straight. jobs a goodun

Mahoosive improvement already!

Still a few little jobs to do, Ive still to attempt a service (topped up oil tonight though to be safe) and change the dipstick. That ABS thing was rearing its head again tonight Stuart, but not as bad as before??? Still think CV will maybe need done if thats the cause!

But yes, thanks to Stuart & Snapper - BIG improvements already!

muppet42 said:
Glad things are improving and I agree on the driving front, if you reckon something's wrong with the car you're driving, you'll obviously not drive it...enthusiastically :wink:

don't know about that tbh, i realised my bmw's traction control wasn't working due to a sensor fault so i thought some powersliding was the answer :D

i love rear wheel drive :D

Mrcento said:
I realised my bmw's traction control wasn't working due to a sensor fault so I thought some powersliding was the answer :D

I love rear wheel drive :D

That sounds like a reasonable reaction to me :D

Glad to hear the car is coming along Martyn!

3 hours today to do the following:
change gear lever,
oil change
coolant flush and change,
change header tank,
new cv joint,
plugs,
leads,

should be like a bloody new car now lol

Back