20140828_112146.jpg

The As Yet Un-named Mazda 3

Introduction

Well it's here my Mazda 3 Takuya 1.6 petrol, 36k on the clock, 61 plate. It needs a name!

Woo discs all round, and 17s as Standard

Loving the interior, fronts nice with heated sports seats, plastics do get more japanese as you go further back

Cruise (finally) and built in phone

6 CD Changer, with bluetooth phone and streaming, also dual zone climate

Loving it so far, ride is firm but not harsh, doesn't feel as slow as I feared it might, though have to watch speed as its deceptive after the swift.
Completed what will probably be the last Family Summer trips I do in this car.

It's been very much a Summer work horse, while it gets used year round it tends to split out 3k October to April and 5k+ May to September due to the day trips. In it's time with me it's been down to Southampton and up as far as Stirling.

With lockdown only lifting recently that's been more extreme this year feel like I've been living out of it last fortnight. Had things booked all over in so off we went with it packed to the gills with a mountain of sweets on board.

Things I will miss.

That this car provides both a bottle and can holder for every seat, god bless the American Market for that. It also has a massive glovebox, door pockets and centre storage box. I will miss the flick of the wrist gearshift, especially given the fact I'm planning to go PSA, the ride quality at 60mph on a B road is spot on. It's a bit firm at 30 but once you get moving it's very good and the pay off for the low speed firmness is good body control (again a balance PSA miss). The Steering, pretty much the last normal car available with a hydraulic set up and it provides great feel. Also absolute white-goods reliability, although it doesn't feel it to me as it doesn't seem to have deteriorated appreciably in the last 6 years..it's very nearly the highest mileage car I've owned (my 1st mk1 punto managed 86k but was a wreck at that point). It's still on the factory exhaust at this point...original rear discs and pads, intact everything apart from drop links, front brakes and the battery is OEM.

Things I won't miss so much...doing 3100 rpm at 70 for hours on end, due to the cannon exhaust that comes as standard it even 70 gives audible engine noise. But the good news is..the tyres nearly drown it out :eek: I made it bearable by fitting low noise tyres but the reality is a C3 is quieter and a C3 is not a quiet car. Damaging the seats to fit an isofix childseat was also not cool...but I figure this car is dying with us so be reet. The many other cabin snafus that make it annoying with a toddler, seats that are broad at toddler foot height. Low roof height making it pretty much impossible not to crack his head putting him etc, small boot for car size..

All in all great car when I got it, has been present at many massive events in my life. Will always have a special place in my heart as a result.

Continues to be a great car, will hopefully continue to be a great car for my wife for years so I get to use it when it's replacement is annoying.

Reading last post well circumstances changed..

My wife still has her car, which I bought with the new car budget.

This is still my car, naturally it repaid my faith in it with the heater making a ridiculous noise last month which slowly got worse so currently 425 quid lighter.

Other than that nothing else has changed, still a bit small inside, still a bit rusty underneath but fine.

Will get sent away at some point, but no hurry now the immediate we need another car issue is done. Though think I may hire a car for family hol next year rather than car jengaing this..though would be nice to add to the list of things it's done for me.

Good to hear the Mazda is serving you we’ll still!! Or neighbour has one and like yours is rusting a fair bit!!

The C3 Picasso is still going..! Though it’s had to have a few things done to it like all four injectors replaced (I think an issue with previous owner..) I enjoy driving it, it’s different... the 6 speed box is a clonky shift at times.

Good to hear the Mazda is serving you we’ll still!! Or neighbour has one and like yours is rusting a fair bit!!

The C3 Picasso is still going..! Though it’s had to have a few things done to it like all four injectors replaced (I think an issue with previous owner..) I enjoy driving it, it’s different... the 6 speed box is a clonky shift at times.

The PSA 1.6 is known for blowing injector seals out maybe not regards the owner. Did look at C3 Aircross but ended up just keeping the C3 having paid it off.

This car: https://www.fiatforum.com/members-motors-non-fiat/454872-orville-c3-pic-heavy.html

With the rust to be honest it's not really deteriorated at a massive rate. Assume your neighbour has a mk1 which do indeed tend to melt in the rain a bit more.

Most recent pic is...

Rear arches will go properly at some point, another person would probably get them ground back and sorted but it's effort/versus reward. Sill beams are solid and still pretty much spotless so it's not going to hurt it any time soon. Have a feeling it'll be similar to my Dads mk2 Focus which is now 15...it's looked tatty for years but it's solid where it matters.

I'm also working from home until at least spring so it'll get a year off the salt spray.

Though think I may hire a car for family hol next year rather than car jengaing this..though would be nice to add to the list of things it's done for me.

Well next year is now last week...and I didn't hire anything just as well as Center Parcs was eye watering costs wise, anywho..

Went full Jenga/Tetris for the way down.

Had to leave the parcel shelf at home but it all fitted, had a cool box on the floor in the behind my seat..very glad we didn't need his pram. At least I still had use of the back window.

Weirdly regardless of size it seems everyone turns up with a similarly rammed car, so the bigger the car the more crap you bring.

Wasn't that far between 2 and 3 hours on the motorway, though being a weekday the users of the motorway fell into 2 categories, people who do 50-60 and people who do 85-90. So my usual "set the cruise at 70 and use the throttle to adjust if someone gets stuck up your chuff while you're overtaking a lorry..or a lorry overtaking someone in a Zoe who is determined to stick at 50mph for range when traffic conditions render this dangerous" was a bit more fraught than usual.

I do have the speed alarm set at 80 mph as an "are you sure?" as you'd probably get away with anything below that taking into account speedo over read etc if plod saw you anything over is going to be more than 10% over the limit..and getting points and a fine on a family holiday is not a good start. It cruises nice at 70, 80 is also fine but anything more than that fuel economy tanks and it feels a bit abusive. Obviously this being a public forum this is all theoretical I've never exceeded 69.5 miles an hour in it.

Most stress was probably getting on to the damn site, which took a good 45 mins to travel 600 yds. Could we worse though I had what I can only only assume an automated manual Citroën C4 Picasso behind us and the smell of clutch has horrendous until we finally left them behind. Either that or they'd sat on the bite point for 15 minutes..certainly wasn't me as the engine was off for most of it.

Anyway got there and dumped stuff

Then dumped the car for a week as they aren't allowed on site..

Fun was had by all...and she fired back up and did it all again on the way home, ditched everything in the house then loaded back up for my wife's birthday meal and away we went again.

That's the thing I like about it's not necessarily thrilling etc, but it asks so little in general and is so useful that it's always in the background at fun stuff and has been for 7 years now.

Speaking of asking very little...hmm next service is due and is a doozy. So as well as the usual, Brake Fluid, gearbox oil, coolant. Also do have a random cluck front left when you go on and off the power in second. Might be a worn CV given the mileage..but not convinced its not in the cabin either we'll see. Will mention it, also tyres are getting rotated as well. So probably about to take my eyes out...

Fresh MOT on.

Advisories for corrosion on rear sills and suspension mounts (it is a Mazda after all :ROFLMAO:).

480 quid lighter but it had all fluids and filters done (gearbox especially feels nicer it had started to get a bit notchy and you had to select 1st via 2nd when cold). Tyres rotated...spark plugs done (which weren't due :bang:).

Drives lovely and my mysterious rattle disappeared when I emptied the glove box and took the child seat out.

Onwards...

Fresh MOT on.

Advisories for corrosion on rear sills and suspension mounts (it is a Mazda after all :ROFLMAO:).

480 quid lighter but it had all fluids and filters done (gearbox especially feels nicer it had started to get a bit notchy and you had to select 1st via 2nd when cold). Tyres rotated...spark plugs done (which weren't due :bang:).

Drives lovely and my mysterious rattle disappeared when I emptied the glove box and took the child seat out.

Onwards...
I had my Grande waxoyled when it was 9 years old, and 4 years on, it's still absolutely rock solid underneath, the only rust being surface corrosion on suspension components.

Well the fun is over...

Off she goes, did I say I'd keep it until it started costing money consistently. This year with all the standing around did not seem to have done her any favours at all.

No show stoppers but nickel and dime stuff that didn't affect the running of the car....but stuff that would be expensive to fix properly.

With 20/20 hindsight I should have sold it last October..and hired a car to go to centre parcs but to be fair WBAC last October was 2200..sold it yesterday for 2000 (not to wbac) so only really lost the garage bills.

Could have got more if I wanted to deal with the general public but given the size of quotes for work I'd had to get her back to A1 I did not want to drop that on someone.

If I'd still needed it, I'd have paid the man and kept going but I don't so it was pointless.

Would consider another later model...and waxoyl the absolute bejesus out of the underside.

How many miles on the clock at chop in out of interest?

89057 to be precise...was convinced she was on more but lost track with how infrequently it was in use.

To be fair if covid hadn't happened I'd have had probably all the same problems but at more like 100k+ As it was homeworking chopped my weekly mileage down to nothing even taking into account that most weekends I'd take it on a trip somewhere.

More deteriorated while it was standing than ever did in daily use. Most of it was corrosion and moisture related issues...also standing on the same spot for weeks on end probably didn't help the wheel bearing either.

Back