Vince the van.jpg

Vince the Van

Van 232 Vauxhall HA Rare 1300 model

Introduction

My first company car. I distinctly remember the Controller CRD (Central Repair Depot) telling me off. " Iwas doing 90 this morning on my way to work on the M20, and you came flying byme like I was going backwards.... and look at this!!!" This is when he banged a 3" thick file down on his desk. Then pulled a dozen other files of other vans repair histories all a few pages only. It was the only 1300cc van on the fleet all the others were 950's. I had some fun in that little yellow peril. It was always washed and polished though.
Here its off piste ouside my area and had just been down a hill at the bottom of which were a lot of stuck vehicles. Thank God it got out or I would have been roasted. Big Snow of 1981 in the vicinity of Harrietsham Kent.
Vince the van.jpg
Bedford Beagle aka Vauxhall HA van, I think my HA car was 1057cc, they later did the 1159cc and 1256cc I thin, I got a HC Viva for one of my sisters which was the 1256cc. Obviously the vans kept in production a lot longer as very practical.
My HA car had no bumpers on it and it was easy with the rack and pinion steering and square cut off shape to pop it in to a tight parking space and often would return to car with cars either side unable to get out, where as I would jump in and drive straight out to their annoyance.;)

Back