“thank you Fiat” - one NCAP don’t want you to read

Currently reading:
“thank you Fiat” - one NCAP don’t want you to read

Passed this article last night. Accident involving a Panda, owners parents felt the car did a good job in safety.

Thought I’d share as this is contrary to what the car press and Euro NCAP would have you believe is impossible

Nice to see any positive story involving Fiat and owners
It is a sound safe car. It lacks electronic safety aids that I believe are not essential. Nice but its the driver they are nannying with most of these things. Passive safety in the Panda is Ok and even good. All the electronic things are also good too ....... until the fuse blows.

That's the best possible angle to have a crash - head on, that is!
I saw a compilation on YouTube yesterday of (I think) the US crash authority... they crashed a large number of popular cars corner on to a concrete wall and not one car fared well. Not even the Honda Jazz or one of the large Lexus models or a whole list of world manufacturer cars!

I suppose it's all down to the specifics of the crash and there's just too many factors. But it definitely reminded me that even a 2023, expensive five star car can still crumble like ash if hit a certain way!

Still mad at NCAP for its irresponsible use of 'zero stars'.. Zero would insinuate that this article be impossible and that the most minor of circumstances (much less than in the article) would result in a high likelihood of a fatality. Seems logical to me to reserve zero for that sort of a situation.

Picture from the Article.....

Are we just ignoring the fact that the Panda would appear to be on the wrong side of the road
Pandacrash.JPG

Maybe driver aids such as a lane departure warning would have prevented such an accident from happening.......

Is this not literally the ideal scenario in that not only is it a square head on, it's hit pretty much the only car on the road with a lower kerb weight?

NCAP is the equivalent of hitting a car of the same weight..even though in most circumstances you'll be hit by or hit something heavier in a Panda.

I saw a compilation on YouTube yesterday of (I think) the US crash authority... they crashed a large number of popular cars corner on to a concrete wall and not one car fared well. Not even the Honda Jazz or one of the large Lexus models or a whole list of world manufacturer cars!

I suppose it's all down to the specifics of the crash and there's just too many factors. But it definitely reminded me that even a 2023, expensive five star car can still crumble like ash if hit a certain way!

Still mad at NCAP for its irresponsible use of 'zero stars'.. Zero would insinuate that this article be impossible and that the most minor of circumstances (much less than in the article) would result in a high likelihood of a fatality. Seems logical to me to reserve zero for that sort of a situation.
Concrete's nearly as bad as trees. Avoid crashing into concrete, for sure.

Concrete's nearly as bad as trees. Avoid crashing into concrete, for sure.
True that. I wonder if the next generation of cars will potentially come up with a way of holding up a little better in that corner-on scenario though. At first I thought it was just the Americans trying to make anything Japanese / European look bad versus some giant Ford F150 monstrosity, but plenty of American badge cars also failed miserably

In the article it mentions a tourist in a rental car took full responsibilty, it's likely the Panda was in the right.
Good point. And one thing is for certain if the insurers could have either not covered it or found the Panda driver even 50/50 they would have done so.

Hard to say if a lane keep warning or assist could have helped with another car (allegedly / potentially) swinging into you from the other side or head on in the full lane. If anything maybe that 'advanced' lane keep would have pulled her back into it if she tried to cross the line..

The front bumper of the blue car is still attached to the front of the panda witness marks/gouges in the road surface near the tool box suggest where the impact took place.
Blue car could have spun after the impact, just based on other driver admitting full liability

Blue car could have spun after the impact, just based on other driver admitting full liability
The blue car was clearly facing the other way round pre accident. The point being the blue car would not have knocked the panda onto the wrong side of the road, from hitting it head on.

The other driver admitting blame is only what was claimed in the paper by the father of the person who was driving the car, so I take that with a massive grain of salt.

Blue car could have been on wrong site of road, and panda moved over to avoid, then blue car panicked realising it was on the wrong side of road moved back and hit the panda straight on. Who knows..

Back