General Sylvia's upkeep

Currently reading:
General Sylvia's upkeep

"Oh dear" the more I cut, the more falls off. The whole area round the passengers side trailing arm mount is as good as gone. About 2 inchs is all that's holding the mount on. And the inside of the rear wheel arch has a 2 inch rusty hole as well. Part of the sill had started to go as well so that's sorted.
Time for a cup of tea then back to work..

All done :D

I have to admit to being a bit worried once I got Sylvia jacked so I could have a good look at what was ahead.

sylonjack.jpg

I ended up turning her up the other way as it was a bit worse than I thought.
The trailing arm mount had almost detached itself from the body of the car.
sylhole2-2.jpg

sylhole1.jpg

This one doesn't look to bad from the angle it was taken. That was before the grinder got at it.
sylhole3.jpg

Then I discovered the inner arch was starting to go.
sylhole.jpg

However once I got into it and bent a few bits of metal, it all came together ok.
sylweld.jpg

You'd never know there had been a big rusty hole once.
sylstoned.jpg

While I had Sylvia on her side so to speak, I thought it would be a good oportunity to do her whole underside with stone chip. 4 tins of the stuff just to be sure I don't have to do anymore welding on her for a while.
sylstoned1.jpg

And the worst part of the day was hoovering Sylvia out as she was rather dirty inside. There was all sorts of horrible little things from her and Jims antics across the USA. :eek:
So she's now been washed, polished, bumpers rejuevinated and hoovered and has Just 2 tyres to get fitted, then she'll be ready for whatever jim throws at her in 2007. :rolleyes:

Went and got new tyres fitted to Sylvia today.
sylgettingnewtyres.jpg

While I was there I thought it best to get the tracking done to.
syltracking.jpg

Now she's ready for the road, well once I find a speedo cable for her. :rolleyes:

Back